Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 02:35 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,147,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Do you still say Merry Christmas in person, cards, etc? ...............Steve
Yes, and I do so without hesitation or guilt from our politically correct social sensitivity police too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 02:35 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,701,432 times
[quote=AZDesertBrat;22136029]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
rah62 said she replies "Merry Christmas" back to people who wish her, but she is reminding people on this forum that not everyone celebrates, so what's the big deal with Happy Holidays?

When my son was four years old we were shopping and nice clerk wished us a Merry Christmas. My little son said, "We are Jews. We aren't Americans and we don't celebrate Christmas."

He was a little confused about the American/Christian thing, but I took the time to teach him to politely say "thank you" because the man was just being friendly.

The same goes for Happy Holidays. Why get upset with a friendly greeting?[/quote]

I wish someone would tell ME! I don't get upset about it. For nearly 70 years it's always been Merry Christmas for me...till the last few years. But when I get told that's it's not PC to say it I get a little upset. Sounded to me like the poster felt it necessary to "remind" people who said it to her, that not everyone celebrates it, not the people on this forum.

I have friends who follow several different 'religions', including Pagan, but none of us hesitate to wish one another whatever we celebrate, as individuals.
So , do you say Happy Birthday to other people on your birthday, because it's what your celebrating?
If I knew you, and I knew you celebrated Christmas. I would say Merry Christmas too you. It would be pretty silly for me to say Happy Hanukkah to you just because it is what I'm celebrating

Old 12-15-2011, 02:46 PM

16,952 posts, read 16,873,570 times
Merry Christmas!

Old 12-15-2011, 02:49 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,735,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
Oh, well welcome to the war on Christmas overreaction. I'm almost 50 years old and I remember Season's Greetings cards and Happy Holiday cards even then. The song "Happy Holiday" was written in 1942.

People used to say these terms to encompass the entire holiday season from Thanksgiving to New Year. I have no problem with Merry Christmas either, but for some people to get so exercised about people saying Happy Holiday I don't understand either.

I'm Jewish. Strangers say "Merry Christmas" to me all of the time. I smile and say "Merry Christmas" right back. It's a greeting meant to be friendly. Happy Holidays is also a friendly greeting in the tone of the season. Why would this little phrase ruin somebody's Christmas holiday? I don't get it.

We have Passover every year. Most people don't even know it's going on. Most people don't know we are having Rosh Hashana dinner. I have to get a special excuse to get my kids out of school. I'm not complaining because I live in a majority Christian society. I'm just saying we love our Jewish holidays despite nobody wishing us anything. We love them because they are our tradition and are meaningful to us.

Why does Fox News spend countless hours complaining about the war on Christmas when I start hearing Christmas music in the stores in October. I see decorations and trees everywhere. There are even radio stations devoted only to Christmas music for an entire month. Seriously, there is a war on Christmas

Again, I'm not begrudging the music, decorations or anything. In fact, I love driving around to see Christmas decorations. I'm just saying, let's have a reality check. Someone saying "Season's Greetings" or someone choosing to send a non specific holiday card to a bunch of clients who are strangers shouldn't ruin anyone's holiday.
I was curious about this. I'm 35, and I have said and heard happy holidays my entire life too. I never took it to be anti-Christain until Fox News politicized it.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:50 PM

Here's the proper greeting if you're a certain kind of Republican -- Merry Christmas, unless you happen to be a non Christain, in which case -- F you!

Old 12-15-2011, 02:52 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,907,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Do you still say Merry Christmas in person, cards, etc?

I do but am feeling increasingly pressured not to do so. I'm sad about that. It's called "Christmas", but my wife didn't dare use "that" word in the 100s of "Holiday Cards" we just sent to past and current clients, friends and family. Only very close family get a "Christmas card" anymore.

She has a point. Why risk offending someone? But still. Seems like the new avatar for the season ought to be egg shells and tip toes. The spirit is different.

Steve
I don't personally, I say Happy Holidays unless I know that the other person celebrates Christmas.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:52 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,332,219 times
If someone says Merry Christmas to me, I say it back or say Thank You. What's sad is that sometimes you can tell when someone is saying Merry Christmas in a way that would be like shouting "UNDER GOD" conspicuously in the pledge-- to be an exclusionary, petty and boastful jerk, basically. This is the opposite of the Christmas spirit.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
If someone says Merry Christmas to me, I say it back or say Thank You. What's sad is that sometimes you can tell when someone is saying Merry Christmas in a way that would be like shouting "UNDER GOD" conspicuously in the pledge-- to be an exclusionary, petty jerk, basically. This is the opposite of the Christmas spirit.
Yep... it's like they're daring you to be a Jew.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:56 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,030,806 times
Only bigots would be offended by someone saying "Merry Christmas".

Feliz Navidad!

Old 12-15-2011, 02:58 PM

350 posts, read 481,790 times
I recently saw this post elsewhere:

You all are more than welcome to say Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas or Seasons Greetings or Happy Hannukkah or Happy Kwanza or Happy New Year to me. You can have a Christmas Tree, a holiday tree or no tree. My faith isn't so shaky that any of them threaten my beliefs or that it will bring down humankind or America. It's not about being politically correct. Nothing wrong with acknowledging that other people might not believe as I do. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies