Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:22 PM

30,601 posts, read 52,347,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Yeah. Who's going to be offended by the phrase, "Merry Christmas"? Jews? Buddhists? Muslims? Oh! The horror!

It would be the end of the world if somebody was OFFENDED!

I can't speak for Muslims, but most of us Jews aren't offended... nice of you to care about your fellow (non-Christian) Americans, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 11:55 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,425,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I can't speak for Muslims, but most of us Jews aren't offended... nice of you to care about your fellow (non-Christian) Americans, though.
Nice jump to conclusions there. Where did I say that I didn't care for non-Christian Americans? I was attacking political correctness, not non-Christians. I'm hardly a Christian myself. I was baptized Lutheran and I believe in God, but I don't practice it regularly. I don't hate people based on their religion.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:02 AM

37,236 posts, read 42,596,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
It really depends on your location and the business you're in. Mostly retailers are increasingly pressured to use a "generic" term for the holidays because of the PC bully's.

Unfortunately most people are not like you and don't see "Merry Christmas" as a friendly sentiment. There are a lot of people, I think mainly in the REALLY large cities (i.e. LA, NYC, etc.) that not only get upset if a store/almost anyone wishes them a Merry Christmas, but they will go out of their way to be rude about it.

As a person of an EXTREME minority religion, they do not speak for me! I LOVE Christmas and love saying and being said to "Merry Christmas". I would be very very sad if people stopped saying it all together. So I go out of my way to say it at all the stores I go to. hehe, just my little PC rebellion!
Everything about this post is BS. SO WHAT if retailers CHOOSE to be generic? It's not a slap to anyone, they will do whatever they can think of to get money out of people and if "generic" gets them more money then so be is. It's not a cave in to PC anything.

Your ideas about the "big cities" is amusing to say the least. Completely insane mind you, but amusing. So is thinking yourself a rebel

Old 12-17-2011, 01:35 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,394,068 times
I only say merry christmas to someone of they say it to me first. Otherwise, I just say happy holidays. Most often I say neither though, as I honestly just don't give a damn.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:26 AM

30,601 posts, read 52,347,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Nice jump to conclusions there. Where did I say that I didn't care for non-Christian Americans? I was attacking political correctness, not non-Christians. I'm hardly a Christian myself. I was baptized Lutheran and I believe in God, but I don't practice it regularly. I don't hate people based on their religion.
You were saying you don't care if Jews, Muslims, etc. are offended, which implies you don't care about our feelings... while I'm not constantly worried about offending other people, I do try my best to be considerate. Don't know about you, but that's just how I was raised.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:30 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,962,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Yes, but I admit I do selectively choose who. I do not say it if I know or even suspect someone is Jewish.
Am I the only one here seeing the absurd irony in this statement?

Old 12-17-2011, 08:00 AM

347 posts, read 700,483 times
Example of how other country deals with religious diversity
The US needs to take a page from other culturally diverse countries as is described in this link.
The post on Dec 16th is what I'm referring to. The first few paragraphs to be specific.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:48 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,248,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Do you still say Merry Christmas in person, cards, etc?

I do but am feeling increasingly pressured not to do so. I'm sad about that. It's called "Christmas", but my wife didn't dare use "that" word in the 100s of "Holiday Cards" we just sent to past and current clients, friends and family. Only very close family get a "Christmas card" anymore.

She has a point. Why risk offending someone? But still. Seems like the new avatar for the season ought to be egg shells and tip toes. The spirit is different.

Steve

I say Merry Christmas, really if someone can not handle it, then I am sorry
I just am not going to live my life being told how to live my life
and not just this, I am so sick of folks trying not to offend some one they
they turn into zombies
I refuse to play the game
so Merry Christmas!!

Old 12-18-2011, 08:42 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,043,898 times
Merry
Merry
Christmas!!

It just feels better and better, especially on this particular thread.
To paraphrase Charlie Brown, "I'm not going to let all this PC ruin MY Christmas."

...............¨♥*✫♥,
.........,•✯´.........´*✫
.......♥*................ __/\__
.......*♥............… ..*-:¦:-*
...¸.•✫.............……/.•*•.\
...~`,`~.................. |
¸....✫................... *•*
´¸...*♥..´¸...........*♥♫♥*
´¸¸♥*................✯•♫•♥•*
´¸.•✫ .............. *♥•♫•♫♥*
~`,`~............. ✯♥•♦♫♥•♥*.
`.✫`.............. *♥☺♥•♥•☺♥*.
●/................✯♥•♥♠♫♥#♥•♥*..
/▌................*♥♫•♥♫•♥♫♥•♫♥*
/ \....................... ╬╬╬╬

Old 12-18-2011, 08:51 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,340,899 times
Default Do you still say Merry Christmas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Merry
Merry
Christmas!!

It just feels better and better, especially on this particular thread.
To paraphrase Charlie Brown, "I'm not going to let all this PC ruin MY Christmas."

...............¨♥*✫♥,
.........,•✯´.........´*✫
.......♥*................ __/\__
.......*♥............… ..*-:¦:-*
...¸.•✫.............……/.•*•.\
...~`,`~.................. |
¸....✫................... *•*
´¸...*♥..´¸...........*♥♫♥*
´¸¸♥*................✯•♫•♥•*
´¸.•✫ .............. *♥•♫•♫♥*
~`,`~............. ✯♥•♦♫♥•♥*.
`.✫`.............. *♥☺♥•♥•☺♥*.
●/................✯♥•♥♠♫♥#♥•♥*..
/▌................*♥♫•♥♫•♥♫♥•♫♥*
/ \....................... ╬╬╬╬
I am a Christian. I love the Christmas season. I believe in the Golden Rule; Do unto others, as you would have them, do unto you.
I want to share my happiness with others. So, I say, Merry Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies