Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:21 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,129,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
You really believe that Poverty doesn't cause suicides..... hey i have a bridge to sell to you.
Many who find themselves in poverty, often through no fault of their own indeed do commit suicide or do many things that they would have never done when they had a job or could afford to pay their bills or take care of their families but of course this doesn't happen in some peoples minds... must be the.............
"Let them eat cake" syndrome.......
I can list many wealthy people who have taken their own lives.

I believe that you are wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 06:23 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,129,653 times
Quote:
The whole point of this thread was NOT about how we should NOT give criminals health care but as to why we Should give law abiding Citizens decent health care.
As usual by some on here the whole point is side stepped with a tirade of comments about stopping health care to Criminals instead of focusing on what we Could DO to make health care a issue that doesn't lead to more acts as done by the guy in this article. Why is nearly everything here in the USA today about what can't be done instead of what should be done. If this attitude had been in the USA after WW2..... America would never have become the Country it once was..... The envy of the World and a Country where All Americans cared about their fellow Americans......... Not Any More!
When did American citizens get the idea that health care should be free?

Judge a country for the number of people trying to get in.

I'm sorry that you feel that so many should get something for nothing.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:36 PM

32,986 posts, read 19,651,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Single payer health care is the only option. .
there is NO WAY to pay for it

singlepayer to cover 320 milion would cost between 2.5 to 5 trillion A YEAR...that's more than we bring in to begin with

just how would you pay for it....rememebr less than 1/3 of americans are tax(federal) payers

Old 08-29-2011, 10:33 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,875,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
he can have all the health care he wants.....just open up the yellow pages and look under physicians

you want the care(service).......pay the darn bill.....otherwise dont ask me to pay YOUR bill
Of course not.. you are far too happy paying for Iraqis to have good brand new hospitals and health care or Palastine to get your Tax Dollar or indeed anyone else in the World to get your money except Americans who are having tough times.
Too many are like you now who think somehow that poorer Americans can just pick up the yellow pages and go see a Doctor... well here's a NESFLASH for you.............. Millions of Americans today cannot afford to even feed themselves properly or have a near decent life because they DO NOT have enough money to do it. Many have worked all their lives and paid into the system but are now unemployed and struggling.....yes STRUGGLING to keep a roof over their heads. I know YOU cannot comprehend how someone could be in such a position but millions are.... GET IT.....millions in America are now in Poverty. The amazing thing is that many who now cannot afford to pay their bills or mortgage were exactly like you... "i'm not giving my money to THOSE PEOPLE' and now realise they are "those people". "It will never happen to me" or "I make all the right choices" was their cry but they soon realised it can happen to anyone anytime.... yes ....even to you.
I would suggest you stop being so "smug" and stop looking down on people because bigger and richer and cleverer people have "come unstuck" in todays America...It happens so fast it takes them by suprise and they were SOOOO certain they had it all under control.
America should be the Country that says.... whether you are the Richest or the poorest you are an American and deserve to be treated with respect not distain.
In America today the criminals and the corrupt and the elitists get it all while the hard working or unfortunate Americans either live off charity, handouts or get complete resentment from arrogant "i'm aright Jack" baffoons ...that is NOT big and it Isn't clever!

Old 08-29-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
You are correct. I fully support taxpayer funded socialized health care. Now, the conservatives and strict Constitutionalists will decry this as not allowed or encouraged under the Constitution, that it's not the domain of the federal government. Here's my response: the Constitution was a great beginning and the country can be whatever its people want it to be. If people want socialized medicine, and the majority actually do, then let's do it.

Now some argued that we shouldn't be giving such good health care to prisoners. That is the exact opposite of a solution. The need to go that route is what needs to be eliminated. Prison should not be more appealing than what can be achieved by the average person not because it is a place for punishment (which it should not be if we can ever claim to hold Christian values as a nation) but because it is a place where one isn't free. To sacrifice your freedom to get to see a doctor is a horrible predicament to be in and begs for a solution. Single payer health care is the only option. All other options are a clear signal this country has jumped the shark.
Well Said.
I love how so many so called Christians only love their fellow man if his fellow man doesn't need his financial help..... Hypocrite comes to mind.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
You will get "better" medical treatment in prison? Uhhh, yeah... sure you will. Perhaps you are not aware just how arbitrarily restrictive and often negligent prison care can often be.

For every story you may read about how great the prison medical care supposedly is (e.g. prisoners demanding and suing for their "human right" to sex changes, as well as demands for cosmetic type procedures), there are likely even more cases where quite the contrary is the case, indicating that inadequate care is more likely the norm than generous care, and some of these cases have made their way through the courts.

A few of the more notable legal cases have involved borderline criminal negligence. Though in most of the legal cases I am familiar with, the courts have largely seen fit to almost always find a way (using the most tortured and lame excuses that look like it came out of the mouth of a 9 year old rather than a Judge) to legally absolve Corrections Officers of culpability, even in the cases where it was a well known and uncontested fact that a specific prisoner was in dire need of a specific type of medication for a documented life threatening condition which the prisoner was actually taking medication for... but then the CO took it upon himself for completely unexplainable reasons to unilaterally decided... "yeah, screw it... the prisoner does not need to go see the prison doctor for this... maybe tomorrow"... despite seeing the prisoner quite literally dying of this well documented, life-threatening legal condition, right in front of his very eyes [and then the prisoner died]. This has happened numerous times (both where the prisoner died, as well as where they almost died) and was the subject of subsequent cases for wrongful death and other civil right type claims.

Note: Yes, I realize the premise of the thread is not about prison care per se', but about health care for those not in prison, nonetheless, when the analogy is being broached which connects the two which posits the thesis that people in prison get good health care, and so people outside should at least be afforded the same thing, it becomes germane to mention that prison care really is not as great as is often portrayed. Hence, I don't think you really want to make such a strong connection which implies people 'outside' should be, at a minimum, getting what they are getting what they get 'inside,' because what they get inside ain't always all that good.
Not sure where you get your facts from...are you talking about the occasional bad example of prisoners being denied treatment... well the occasional prisoner not getting treatment is far far far better than the millions of poor Americans who get NO treatment as a matter of course. Thousands of Americans die every year from not having health care..not just the occasional incident as in the prisons...........

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sou...B4Wwcbt-xDh5nA

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sou...52H8-U1unGtVkQ

Get real here and how many prisons have you visited to see whether your views are correct?

Last edited by geeoro; 08-29-2011 at 11:11 PM..

Old 08-29-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Why don't you and your like minded leftie friends start a fund to provide health insurance to help people without it?
Being a Brit i have spent my whole working life paying taxes for the benefit of all and would have no problems doing it here. Why? because it works and works well.Funny how a Brit has more compassion for Americans than the right wing so called "Patriotiotic" Americans.... Pathetic!
I live in America because my wife is American and i love the everyday American people.... pity they have arrogant greedy right wing nuts screwing up any hope of America moving forwrd.

BTW....I thought obama just fixed the uninsured problem?
If Obama could have passed his plan for a UHC and not have had the greedy, me me me, right wing lawmakers put a stop to it and put their pathetic health bill through, then not only would the health of America improve but millions upon millions of jobs would have been created but NO let's live in the right wing la la land that that thinks the American health care ship isn't sinking even though they don't mind paying through the nose for health as long as the poorer American can't rain on their parade and get health care too.... that smacks of stupidity wrapped in a thick layer of ignorance.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:21 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,642,205 times
Quote:

**** how absolutely heartless and subhuman of you. Go directly to jail, do not cross Go, do not collect $200.

In fact, it is your attitude toward your fellow man that is the biggest crime anyone could commit. C'mon, think up something worse than wishing harm on others. It isn't possible.
You think it's good that we treat our criminals so well that people are willing to commit crimes to get health care?

Old 08-30-2011, 09:05 AM

23,820 posts, read 24,242,227 times
Quote:
I would suggest you stop being so "smug" and stop looking down on people
Pot, meet kettle.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:37 AM

41,458 posts, read 60,037,264 times
We could cut the cost of providing a health care to everyone by eliminating private sector involvement. The savings in insurance company, major medical center and pharmaceutical company profits and executive salaries would be immense. We might have to pay the MD's more than congress critters but that would still be less than the wasted executive salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies