Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 09:30 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,157,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I don't think the people of Madagascar care about democrats or republicans, they care about their resource being pilaged, and some nations want it without thinking about the toll it takes.

The fact that this wood is endangered , the madagascar wood,if regulated is going to cost American jobs so keep plundering away?
Wrong. You know absolutely nothing about this case and about the businesss practices of Gibson

The wood Gibson (and Fender) acquire are specifically taken from reserves designated by those countries as a legal source for harvesting those woods.

But there's also another little diddy people are over-looking. Last March, Gibson filed suit againt their insurance company, because Gibson suffered massive flood damages at their Massman Drive facility. Gibson claims the insurance company failed to live up to their insurance contract/policy agreement and cover what they were supposed to cover.

And we all know how Congress, all presidents (redardless of party) are all in the pockets of the financial companies and do everything to protect them.

maybe that's another part of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 10:33 AM

89,418 posts, read 45,120,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
Once again you are wrong. There has been a lawsuit going on, filed by Gibson against the Justice Dept/US Government since the first theft in 2009. And Gibson has submitted all required paper work into evidence, to prove their wood was all leagal and obtained through legal/lawful channels/procedures and laws. They also have official signed affidavits to further cement their case.
Yes. More specifically...
Quote:
Gibson has obtained sworn statements and documents from the Madagascar government and these materials, which have been filed in federal court, show that the wood seized in 2009 was legally exported under Madagascar law and that no law has been violated.
Gibson

Quote:
The Justice Dept/US Government is trying "Stay" the case....stall .....and drag this out for as long as possible. Because their only intent is to bankrupt Gibson and drive them out of business.
Yep, Obama's DOJ hasn't been able to pin anything on Gibson despite trying for the past 2 years, so they've asked the judge to stall the court case indefinitely. That's bullying and harassment, plain and simple. Fascist dictator government 101.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:38 AM

13,621 posts, read 21,439,223 times
Quote:
Wrong. You know absolutely nothing about this case and about the businesss practices of Gibson

Well you are right I am not completely in the know about this and in my attempt to see the truth trying to figuire out whether Gibson are truthful in their side of the story and that the government are being heavy handed or that Gibson did something wrong I have to weigh it out as much as I can. It doesn't help trying to get to the truth when some take assumptions based on a partisan stance claiming it is a conspiracy on the part of government to loose jobs in America.

It doesn't help when one makes a ranting claim that environmentalists are the blame of it all. Banjomike made a good explanation about the delicacy of a rain forest, supporting protecting that doesn't make one a wacko environmentalist, who wouldn't want to protect a endangered species? Who wouldn't want to be responsible on how we use resources?

It was shown that Gibson like most companies donate to both parties, maybe more than over another but businesses play both fields of the political game.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Well you are right I am not completely in the know about this and in my attempt to see the truth trying to figuire out whether Gibson are truthful in their side of the story and that the government are being heavy handed or that Gibson did something wrong I have to weigh it out as much as I can.
Gibson filed documents in federal court from the Madagascar government stating the wood was legally obtained. That should have been the end of it. Obama's DOJ has no authority to overrule the Madagascar government on their own country's laws.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Gibson filed documents in federal court from the Madagascar government stating the wood was legally obtained. That should have been the end of it. Obama's DOJ has no authority to overrule the Madagascar government on their own country's laws.

And if that is true then I agree that the government is wrong, the government charging a American for a foreign law is wrong. The government needs to step up with charges or step down. But I am not just ready to swallow blindly the Gibson side of the story knowing that they are on their own PR campaign. Allegedly the government claims Gibson was involved in falsifying documents regarding the wood, and while so far my instinct is to go with Gibson's side of it I am not convinced one way or the other and it doesn't do truth justice to make assumptions that it is a conspiracy by government to hurt its own people's jobs or that it is payback for donating to one side more than the other politicallly or that environmentalists are to blame because they want to protect a endangered species.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
And if that is true then I agree that the government is wrong, the government charging a American for a foreign law is wrong. The government needs to step up with charges or step down. But I am not just ready to swallow blindly the Gibson side of the story knowing that they are on their own PR campaign.
If it were just a PR campaign, you would have a point. But Gibson has filed sworn statements and official documents from the Madagascar government in federal court.

Case closed.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
If it were just a PR campaign, you would have a point. But Gibson has filed sworn statements and official documents from the Madagascar government in federal court.

Case closed.
So says Gibson. While I can't do a search if these are publically available for us to see and if theY are valid, yes this case needs to go forward or the government needs to step down. I agree fully that it was wrong to charge Gibson for a foreign law regarding the finished wood that is designed by those foreign governments to protect their own jobs.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
So says Gibson.
Are you trying to claim Gibson is lying about the Madagascar government's sworn statements and official documents they've filed in federal court? Exactly how would lying about those, which could easily be exposed, benefit Gibson?

Old 09-02-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Are you trying to claim Gibson is lying about the Madagascar government's sworn statements and official documents they've filed in federal court? Exactly how would lying about those, which could easily be exposed, benefit Gibson?

As I said the government needs to move this along or stop. I also said my instinct is to believe Gibson so far, but since we are not priviledged to all info and evidence and have to rely on statements I am not going blindly take one side.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:52 PM

18,361 posts, read 26,564,662 times
Quote:
I could believe that Gibson is lying. They've already lied. Madagascar's laws are pretty clear and strict. The only possible way I could see Gibson having any such documents is if they bribed a corrupt official there to write them (not unrealistic, that country has a massive corruption problem).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies