Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 05:14 PM

1,019 posts, read 591,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What part of "illegally imported" do you not comprehend? They could probably find and use a domestic equivalent if they tried.
Why did Customs clear it if it was illegal. Don't they stop illegal shipments. I am sure Gibson played by the rules, and suddenly some punk on the federal payroll who just loves Strats changed his "interpretation" of the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 05:16 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,366,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I have a Martin. Gibson is a great guitar.
Martin is great too.

I have a Alhambra 7 Fc (flamenco guitar) made in spain. But I am familiar with the Gibson line (somewhat). They are great.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:41 PM

913 posts, read 874,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
the OP is seeming to support the notion that as long as jobs are created/maintained then the law doesn't apply. if that was the case then i could create dozens of jobs this afternoon by simply opening a drug distribution center.
that is a very often overlooked argument against the war on drugs. we generally refer to the loss of the users civil liberties, but we never dare mention the loss of economic liberty. sadly when we finally end the stupid war on drugs, the cartelization won't end with it. like booze, the big guys will erect huge barriers to entry to protect their market share. we are 80 years passed prohibition and yet brew one drop of liquor and you'll get the same surprise as gibson, masked swat breaking down your door.

land of the free?

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law."
Frederic Bastiat

Old 09-07-2011, 05:51 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,509,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
There is at least one other large thread on this raid because I posted in it today.

However, having given it some more thought, I'm thinking I may just buy that Gibson F5 mandolin I always wanted. I also need to see what Martin Guitar's politics are. Maybe I need to trade my D35 for a Gibson.
Gibson and Martin buy their ebony and rosewood from the same source in India. However, Gibson is under investigation and having their property seized, while Martin is immune. The difference between the two is Gibson supports Republicans while Martin supports Democrats.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:55 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,416,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The difference between the two is Gibson supports Republicans while Martin supports Democrats.
Do you know for a fact that Martin primarily supports the Dem Party? If so, I will dump my D35 for a Gibson dreadnought like I dumped my GMC Sierra for an F150.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:58 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,324,854 times
Don't know if this way already mentioned but:

DOJ Advises Gibson Guitar to Export Labor to Madagascar | RedState

Old 09-07-2011, 05:59 PM

I keep getting notifications of an addition to my Reputation but nothing shows up in my list. Anyone else getting this?

Old 09-07-2011, 06:07 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,509,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Do you know for a fact that Martin primarily supports the Dem Party? If so, I will dump my D35 for a Gibson dreadnought like I dumped my GMC Sierra for an F150.
See below:

Quote:
CEO of Gibson Guitar a Republican donor; Democrat competitor uses same wood

It’s worth pointing out that Henry E. Juszkiewicz, Gibson’s Chief Executive Officer, is a donor to a couple of Republican politicians. According to the Open Secrets database, Juszkiewicz donated $2000 to Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN07) last year, as well as $1500 to Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN). Juszkiewicz also has donated $10,000 to the Consumer Electronics Association, a PAC that contributed $92.5k to Republican candidates last year, as opposed to $72k to Democrats. (The CEA did, however, contribute more to Democrats in the 2008 election cycle.)

One of Gibson’s leading competitors is C.F. Martin & Company. The C.E.O., Chris Martin IV, is a long-time Democratic supporter, with $35,400 in contributions to Democratic candidates and the DNC over the past couple of election cycles. According to C.F. Martin’s catalog, several of their guitars contain “East Indian Rosewood.” In case you were wondering, that is the exact same wood in at least ten of Gibson’s guitars.

Source: CEO of Gibson Guitar a Republican donor; Democrat competitor uses same wood - Landmark Report

Old 09-07-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
See below:
Thanks. I really had no idea. No wonder I've never been really satisfied with the Martin.

I'm not too familiar with Gibson's dreadnoughts but I will be. Maybe that F5 mandolin is in my future.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:19 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,775,328 times
Everyone of these manufacturers use the same exact wood.

Why are they not the target of the DOJ and the Obama administration?

A

[edit] B

[edit] C

[edit] D

[edit] E

[edit] F

[edit] G

[edit] H

[edit] I

[edit] J

[edit] K

[edit] L

[edit] M

[edit] N

[edit] O

• Oscar Schmidt (by Washburn)
  • Ovation
[edit] P

[edit] R

[edit] S

[edit] T

[edit] U

[edit] V

[edit] W

[edit] X

[edit] Y

[edit] Z

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies