Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 06:04 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,981,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I don't know about that- there are still plenty of far-reaching requirements of the program, like not being able to exclude pre-existing conditions, that seem like they'll still be in place based on that ruling. I wasn't a big fan of requiring people to buy insurance anyway, but on the flip side, if you don't have insurance, don't expect to get treated- beyond stabilizing a life-threatening injury- if you can't afford to pay.
As the GOP tried to convince the dems to scale back the monstrosity and go for incremental steps....some aspects of obamacare could be made to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
"Well, without the mandate, the whole shebang FALLS APART."

Actually, that's exactly what the opinion says will NOT happen.
Yeah, how are they going to pay for it if the people aren't forced to buy insurance? That was the whole point of the mandate - to FUND the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
A little early for celebrating, don't you think?

Appeals court upholds health-care law's individual mandate - The Washington Post

But then, you folks were cheering that "Obamacare" had been "defeated" back in 2010, when a Virginia court found the mandate unconstitutional.

It's going to take the Supreme Court to decide before you should break out the champagne.
I like our chances...in a presidential election year, highlighting the fact the law has been deemed unconstitutional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Once the mandatory provision is removed it will go forward, like it or not. I said this would happen even before it was passed.
Casper
Where will the funding come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Oh yeah, he's so intelligent he passed an unconstitutional law. That makes all the sense I needed to know.
I can't wait for the dems/obama to make that argument in 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt someone hand Pelosi the bill, already written, to push through? She didnt even know what was in the bill herself.
The Senate bill, passed on Xmas exe was sent to the House unchanged and passed. Both chambers also passed the reconciliation portion of the bill separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
as a more liberal person, obamacare is a disaster. It's put back comprehensive health care for all back another 100 years. Poorly thought out, poorly executed.
Shoved down the American people's throats, against the will of the people. Those who did that will pay at the ballot box, just as they did in 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Try some facts with the irrational rant.

http://www.kff.org/kaiserpolls/upload/8209-F.pdf
Yes, let's try that.

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Repeal of Health Care Law: Favor/Oppose

Really, I just love how you cherry pick one poll - the rest say repeal it. I can pretty much guarantee you, once the candidates start pummeling him again on obamacare, start pointing out all the nasty little details we have found out in the law, even more will want repeal.

Views on Health Reform Remain Divided - Kaiser Slides

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Are laws that force people to wear seat belts kinda nazi?
Not the same and you should know it. States are responsible for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 06:41 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,364,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Also, there was precedent with the health care law attempt. Car insurance is mandatory. Why not health insurance also?
Car insurance isn't a precedent. If Congress passed that it would be ruled unconstitutional also. The constitution says nothing about prohibiting such laws, it just doesn't grant that power to Congress. States are free to pass such laws, and I believe the MA health law does have a mandate. No one is arguing that it would be unconstitutional for a state to pass such a law...

Old 08-12-2011, 07:11 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,169,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Government run health care has been their dream for a hundred years. It's turning into a nightmare for the rest of us though.
Which is why I dont get their lack of pushing for government run hospitals. You could easily bypass the "insurance" industry by simply building hospitals and claim they are for the general welfare, just like police departments.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,169,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Um, the Dems didn't want the individual mandate - they wanted a universal, single payer system or at least a robust public option. They were forced to compromise and include the Republican individual mandate.

History lesson for the day: The individual mandate was first proposed in congress in 1993 by these senators:

(No Longer in the Senate)
Jesse Helms (R)
Bob Dole (R)
Strom Thurmond (R)
Trent Lott (R)
Larry Craig (R)
Ted Stevens (R)
Frank Murkowski (R)
Alan Simpson (R)
Bob Bennett (R)
Hank Brown (R)
Lauch Faircloth (R)
Paul Coverdell (R)
Conrad Burns (R)
Judd Gregg (R)
Dirk Kempthorne (R)
Connie Mack (R)
Bob Smith (R)
Malcolm Wallop (R)

(Still In the Senate)
Orrin Hatch (R)
Charles Grassley (R)
Kay Bailey Hutchison (R)
Daniel Coats (R)
Thad Cochran (R)
Richard Lugar (R)
The american public didnt like the individual mandate proposal in 1993, and they didnt like it today. The GOP had NOTHING to do with this bill. They put in the individual mandate in order to get middle of the road Democrats to vote yes. Cant blame this one on the GOP, but you'll try non stop. Only surprise is that you didnt blame Bush as always.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:18 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,037,486 times
I sure hope the courts settle this soon.I dont know weather to schedule my dentist appointments or put the money aside for my fines.as with all obama policys you can only guess and hope.guess I'll sit on the money and hope for the best.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:33 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,472,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
So I am being forced.

I always wear it because I know of the importance of wearing it. Someone shouldn't be fined because they don't know nor care.

Freedom is a very scary thing for people, it seems.
You are correct. Law enforcement is in fact "force."

Old 08-12-2011, 09:34 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,472,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The american public didnt like the individual mandate proposal in 1993, and they didnt like it today. The GOP had NOTHING to do with this bill. They put in the individual mandate in order to get middle of the road Democrats to vote yes. Cant blame this one on the GOP, but you'll try non stop. Only surprise is that you didnt blame Bush as always.
The GOP had absolutely nothing to do with the bill in 1993 either. Democrats controlled both houses of Congress, and who can forget the HillaryCare fiasco?

Old 08-12-2011, 09:39 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,295,377 times
Fail bait thread. The title is not representative of the facts.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:48 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,415,694 times
I still find it amazing that under Obamacare, it will be against the law for me to continue my high deductible health care plan and pay out of pocket for routine care--and this huge imposition could still be ruled constitutional by the Supreme Court.

Did our ancestors stake their lives and sacred honor to found this country so that 235 years later, some *sshole could tell me how to pay for my health care? I don't think so.

"If you like your health plan, you can keep it!"

Old 08-13-2011, 04:42 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,321,356 times
Unconstitutional

And to think he was, and I said WAS a constitutional lawyer.

Backs up what I have said all along, he went to school not to learn and follow our constitution, he went to learn how to destroy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies