Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:35 PM

420 posts, read 878,026 times

Advertisements

I hope im not echoing a previous reply. But may not have been entirely about you being black.
Club bouncers and gaurds are high strung cats and trained to be on the look-out for confontations.
But then, sometimes non-black folks dont understand our elevated tones and take offense prematurely,
since there tends to be over-generalization about us being more prone to violence than the other 'normal'
ethnic groups. Yeah right. Lol Anyway, this is just a theory.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:19 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,391,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Unless you can post footage of the incident, it's hard to take sides in this matter. And since YOU have decided that this is a race issue, or maybe a black woman problem, I will say that the majority of times that I have seen black women get agitated and mad, they are particularly aggressive in their body language. Not only do they raise keep raising their voice level (as if by sheer loudness they can make their opinion ...
Yes, it's a black person who raises a problem, so naturally the cause is some deficiency in the person because they're black, blah, blah, blah....

To the OP, continue your inquiry if you feel there is injustice. Pursue it and don't be deterred by those who are indifferent to the very unique concerns of black people in this country, completely ignorant of black people, or consistently biased against black people for reasons that are wholly unreasonable.

Also, to the OP, I'm assuming here that you were justified in your outburst and that security should've exercised better discretion rather than treating you so disrespectfully. After all, you are no less of a citizen than a tall blonde with the blue eyes and tanned skin, and deserve no less consideration. Problems persist throughout this country to the detriment of blacks unfortunately.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:48 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
This is something I can relate to. I had an incident this week involving my pay. My check was late and I ended up needing to get it picked up at the payroll office. It was also the one day off work I had. I needed to get things done in the early morning because I had to study and finish school projects. I went into the office that morning because I was told it would be there on a specific day, which happened to be that day. I was in a rush, so I was concentrated on one thing, my money. I went into the office to ask about my check. When I found out my check hadn't been made yet, I was a bit upset. I didn't yell. I just asked what happened and told them what told me on the phone. Albeit, it was in an assertive, perhaps even demanding voice. However, I saw this as my money being messed with. A police officer was summoned. I wondered "why are the police here? I didn't break any laws". I later found out I was described as "belligerent". I thought "belligerent? I didn't yell or scream at anyone. I didn't use threatening language. I was very assertive about my situation." My mumbling was misunderstood as "growling". I talked to one of my friends about it, among them a White female. According to her, race had a big part of it. Me being an African-American male and that office environment being predominantly White and female.

This isn't the only time. I remember years ago I was looking for a job. I went to an office to ask about a job I saw online. The woman at the office told me there was no job. To say the least I was kind of upset, as I was in need of a job. My response: Rolled my eyes and a sigh, and then walked off. A few minutes later the police were called about a "disturbance". To say the least I was befuddled to what happened. After explaining to the police what happened, the cop let it go. He told me that I needed to be careful as some people do get scared. I don't know for sure if it had been race, but I suspect race might have been the issue.

These were instances where all I had to do was speak assertively or look upset to have the police called on me.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:56 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I refuse to be forced into some politically correct mindset that someone who has a boyfriend has to be equally probably a gay male as a straight female.
Yes but the alias kind of implies gay male and also in a bar where a man and a woman appear they may be getting in a fight, the bouncers would not kick the woman out and tell the woman she's going to jail, they would pick the man to haul away.

That's the real discrimination.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:28 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes but the alias kind of implies gay male and also in a bar where a man and a woman appear they may be getting in a fight, the bouncers would not kick the woman out and tell the woman she's going to jail, they would pick the man to haul away.

That's the real discrimination.
I disagree. If the belligerent woman has enough stature and/or physical presence, she will be treated like a man if she were seen as getting out of control. Plenty of women have been hauled off to jail for disturbing the peace.

You are stereotyping, just like those that can't imagine a woman being the aggressor in a a domestic violence situation or a man being a domestic violence victim.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:19 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,314,350 times
Screaming and making a public disturbance should not be tolerated. I really don't see why color should have anything to do with it. Where I live, no one would be allowed to act like that in public...it wouldn't matter what race you were.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:48 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
I was yelling at my boyfriend in a nightclub and next thing I know some security guy grabs me by my arm, pulls me away...and then starts literally shoving me towards the exit and then threatens me with an arrest and "You're gonna go to jail". All because I simply repeated (to my boyfriend), "YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DISRESPECT ME IN THIS CLUB!"

No, they kicked your butt out because you were acting like you were going to start a fight, and having people yell in the club is bad for business.

Yelling in public is not normal, is not tolerated in businesses and puts everyone ill at ease in a closed area.
Makes it unsafe for safety, and businesses don't want to access their liability service.

I'd throw you out for the night as well. They almost had to.
You were being off the hook looking at what you posted about your behavior.
Maybe you should learn to respect others and not have a tantrum in public.
Yelling in public is NOT NORMAL.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:58 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
You made a pretty big leap; I'm not surprised.

This is something that you also did by dropping the race card. Nor am I....

Old 03-27-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I'm Black and I don't demand respect....your statement is inaccurate. Please don't stereotype all based on some.

Weeeeeeelllllll. Weeeeeeelllllll , Weeeeeeelllllll

Pot...please meet kettle

Old 03-27-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
You make a good point but over a period of 15 years I've dealt with enough white and black customers to form some (pretty accurate IMO) opinions but like I said, there are always exceptions.

One thing I will say is that the worst bar patron is without a doubt the white trailer park Emienem wannabe. I won't use the more common word used to describe these types but they are the worst. Almost without exception they are right in the middle of any fight or ruckus. It might not be fair but if a white kid in a sideways straight billed hat with saggy jeans, an Ed Hardy Tee that talked like "wassup sheeeeeeet man ehy son bleeeeeeeeeve dat" came into a bar I worked at and he so much as looked at someone wrong I was tossing him.

You mean white trash? Is there a problem posting that or something? I can't disagree with the above....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.