Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:57 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,938,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
^^^ I agree completely with this post!!!! Clubs try very hard not to be full of couple dramas. It doesn't take much for friends to get involved, or a stranger to be shoved by accident and the whole situation to get out of control. And if a club gets a reputation for fights, then they become very vulnerable to losing their liquor license, and then they are out of business.

And much better for people like the O.P. to be thrown out by a nightclub bouncer than to have the police involved.

I think that the bigger issue is that the O.P. was all wound up about being disrespected by her boyfriend, but ended up being removed from the club against her/his will... and that has to be even more bruising for their ego.

Anyway, my vote is that the reason for the O.P.'s removal had nothing at all to do with being black. Stop playing the race card. It's all worn out and in tatters.

No bar owner, bouncer or tender wants to see a fight happen. It's a PITA and you lose money. Clubs have a lot to lose if they get tagged with a rep as a punch palace. They lose the 30 and up crowd and the cops get sick of getting called out to the bar over and over. That is especially bad b/c once the local police are against you as a bar owner you are doomed. They can make your life VERY hard.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:01 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,315,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Let's see here:

If one demographic represents 80% of the population and 99% of your customers who would you figure you'd have the most iussues with?
I guess you completely ignored to first part of dubyanumberone post's

Quote:
I've worked in bars forever and have had the most issues young white males. Young white women are a distant second. Blacks aren't even on the radar. Asses come in all races, ages and sex.
If somebody tells you I've worked in bars forever then that means they've worked in a number of bars over a number of years.

Quote:
One of the worst places I ever worked was a bar an a very affluent area. 99% white customers. Some of the biggest, most entitled, rude pricks I've ever dealt with. Tons of issues with fights, refusing to leave at last call, trying to scam on the tab, refusing to tip, trying to steal beers,,etc...
The parrticular bar he gave was an EXAMPLE of some of the behavior he's seen.

Way to use selective logic and reasoning.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:09 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,957,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
By loud, what do you mean? Loud as in getting violent and wanting to fight or loud as in having a good time, just with an elevated voice?

I'm Black and my family is LOUD. When we get together it's a loud, good time. There is no fussing, no fighting; but we're a loud bunch. Always have been. I love it...couldn't stand being in a quiet family. Reminds me of some of the shows I watch about some Italian families....some people are just loud.

Why does it bother you?
Because we are not all raised in a LOUD family as you were.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:34 PM

521 posts, read 467,985 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5KPoknHtNc

Old 03-25-2011, 02:05 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,214,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Choclot - I agree with kevinm. In the majority of blacks that I have encountered, and mostly black women, they do seem to have an obsession with being respected. It seems to be very important that they are shown deference in public. Anytime time that their actions or opinions are questioned, they take it as a sign of disrespect. And maybe if they are a single mother/baby momma, if they can't get the father of their children to marry them, then they feel the need to make sure that everyone else is showing respect to them, despite their unmarried status.

And not only is this something that I have witnessed in person countless times in my lifetime, but also with black women in the media. And Star Jones and Dionne Warwick fit this stereotype perfectly episode after episode on Celebrity Apprentice.

And consider that whole fiasco with Professor Gates was set off by the professor overreacting to the police checking up on a 911 call of a possible breakin to his house. And I noticed that Gates never apologized for his poor behaviour.

Now, I accept that you don't fit the stereotype of the angry black person demanding respect. And I know a few black women and men who don't. But you are very much in the minority not the majority, and based on my (and others) personal observations.
Sorry, but you are not Black and I would be willing to bet have not been around enough Black people to know how the majority act. In fact, there are millions of Blacks in the US....interesting to see how you think you know how the majority act. Your views are so outdated.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Because when I am trying to enjoy dinner or a movie, I don't want to have to worry about people acting like animals. Is that so much to ask?
Being loud and having a good time= animals? Interesting.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Because we are not all raised in a LOUD family as you were.
It still shouldn't bother you. Some people get annoyed at the silliest things. People need to lighten up and get the sticks at their a$$.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:13 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,216,834 times
Quote:
By loud, what do you mean? Loud as in getting violent and wanting to fight or loud as in having a good time, just with an elevated voice?

I'm Black and my family is LOUD. When we get together it's a loud, good time. There is no fussing, no fighting; but we're a loud bunch. Always have been. I love it...couldn't stand being in a quiet family. Reminds me of some of the shows I watch about some Italian families....some people are just loud.

Why does it bother you?
So... when you all go out to the movie theatre, is your family one of those groups of black people making loud comments and talking with each other while the movie is playing? Is that the reason for all the chaos at the tables of black families when I go to my favorite cheap Chinese restaurant?

But like om77falcons, I was raised to be quiet and respectful to others while in public. And loud boisterous groups of people are a turnoff to me unless it's a holiday or sports event. Not every occasion calls for being loud.

But your post is why I see that some clashes within our society are more due to culture and less to skin colour. Your family being loud is just how your is and how you like to be. But take a lot of loud boisterous families that happen to be black and in an area where the white and Asian families are more quiet and well behaved, and a racial stereotype is born.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:55 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,957,427 times
Quote:
It still shouldn't bother you. Some people get annoyed at the silliest things. People need to lighten up and get the sticks at their a$$.

You crack me up. You are in public and think it is cool to be loud and boisterous. I don't enjoy sitting at a table having dinner and barely able to have a conversation due to a loud group sitting nearby. You do realize what being in "public" means as far as being somewhat deferential to others.

And as far as "the loud blacks in movie theaters" stereotype, it is true. I have friends of every persuasion and we all agree about this. It is annoying as hell as we were taught from a very early age not to speak in a movie theater, or at least speak softly. I recall quite a few arguments in theaters between whites and blacks over this.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:08 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,310,910 times
I don't like loud people. If I go out, I don't really want to hear about anyone else's problems. I talk to the people at my table, and want to hear them, not some loud-mouth across the room. If you want to yell, go to a ball game, it's supposed to be loud there.

I don't care what color, loud people are. Rudeness is obnoxious, whatever the circumstance. Your problem is not my problem, I don't want to hear about it. I am paying my hard-earned money to be entertained, not subjected to some Jerry Springer wanna-be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.