Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 02:46 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

"Abdul Rahman Alharbi, once a person of interest in the Boston Marathon bombing, turned up at the White House for July 4th festivities. He was at one time placed on a watch list and was at one point labeled a threat to national security by the State Department. What in the world was he doing there? So why would the Alharbi family have been at the White House for Independence Day? According to some Arabic-language media, they were invited."

Saudi National resurfaces… at White House 4th of July – Glenn Beck

Why did the president invite him? Don't the Secret Service or the FBI, as a matter of security, check guest lists?

Glen Beck, by the way, doesn't know although he did inquire so even though I'm throwing this out to you guys, I don't think any answer exists yet. In other words, nobody can be right or wrong with their response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 03:22 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Unremarkably, only right-wing self-proclaimed "news" services thought this was significant enough to warrant wasting time and space on.

It should be noted that they actually know who the threat to national security was: The Tsarnaev brothers, not Abdul Rahman Alharbi.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:49 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Why did the president invite him? Don't the Secret Service or the FBI, as a matter of security, check guest lists?

Glen Beck, by the way, doesn't know although he did inquire so even though I'm throwing this out to you guys, I don't think any answer exists yet. In other words, nobody can be right or wrong with their response.
If I smack my head as hard as this topic requires, I'll land myself in the hospital with a concussion.

Alharbi was in the wrong place at the wrong time while Muslim - apparently an automatic guilty verdict in society. He as injured as well, not to mention injured when a bystander took him out because - you guessed it - he's Arab. His life was turned upside down like so many of ours were that day. Unfortunately for him, he probably still does not feel safe because people think he was somehow connected.

Newsflash: NO CONNECTION. NONE. NOTHING. ZIP. NILCH. NADA.

I'm glad that he and his family were invited to the White House. People are invited for having gone through much less, no matter what the administration. Given that this week is the first of Ramadan, I'm sure he and his family are honored to be there in behalf of all "brown" people who experienced profiling, negative comments, and threats in between April 15-19 in Boston (including one of my wonderful Pakistani students).

Old 07-11-2013, 05:50 AM

264 posts, read 280,490 times
This is a very commendable move by the White House. This guy was racially profiled, held against his will and arrested for being Arabic near where an act of terror happened.

The embarrassment that he must have gone through from being arrested for a huge crime he had absolutely nothing to do with must have been significant.

Bravo for this small act to serve as an apology.

Nice of the news article to not point any of this out - maybe next time go for a more trusted source.

Thank you.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:56 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Remember: It was Reagan who claimed that his telling the same lie five times made it into truth.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:00 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Threat To National Security Person Lives In The White House

Fixed it for ya.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:42 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Glenn Beck.............LOL

You folks are funny. What did the National Enquirer say about it?

Old 07-11-2013, 08:43 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now What View Post

Nice of the news article to not point any of this out - maybe next time go for a more trusted source.
They don't care about the truth, they want red meat.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:55 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
If I smack my head as hard as this topic requires, I'll land myself in the hospital with a concussion.

Alharbi was in the wrong place at the wrong time while Muslim - apparently an automatic guilty verdict in society. He as injured as well, not to mention injured when a bystander took him out because - you guessed it - he's Arab. His life was turned upside down like so many of ours were that day. Unfortunately for him, he probably still does not feel safe because people think he was somehow connected.

Newsflash: NO CONNECTION. NONE. NOTHING. ZIP. NILCH. NADA.

I'm glad that he and his family were invited to the White House. People are invited for having gone through much less, no matter what the administration. Given that this week is the first of Ramadan, I'm sure he and his family are honored to be there in behalf of all "brown" people who experienced profiling, negative comments, and threats in between April 15-19 in Boston (including one of my wonderful Pakistani students).
Thank you.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:57 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"Abdul Rahman Alharbi, once a person of interest in the Boston Marathon bombing, turned up at the White House for July 4th festivities. He was at one time placed on a watch list and was at one point labeled a threat to national security by the State Department. What in the world was he doing there? So why would the Alharbi family have been at the White House for Independence Day? According to some Arabic-language media, they were invited."

Saudi National resurfaces… at White House 4th of July – Glenn Beck

Has it been proven that this young man is a "threat to national security?"
By whom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies