Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 07:09 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,237,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am not proposing gun bans, I am just saying that the comparison to cars is a very weak one. Cars are designed for transportation, and hardly ever used as murder weapons, while guns are designed to take life, and are the weapon of choice in most murders.
No, a gun is designed to fire a projectile accuratly over a distance at velocity at a target. The human decides what the target will be.
That said cars are designed to transport people. How the person drives the vehicle determines how safe it is. Both can and will kill when misused. The fact is that more people die from auto accidents than by gun shot wounds. Once again its a biased slant given how many homicides are committed by illegally purchased weapons that no law would prevent.
Guns are the weapon of choice no arguing that point. Thats why I have no issue with accountability. I do take issue with punishing people who don't break the law.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:10 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,927,009 times
My prayers are with her along with the girl and judge who were murdered. You may not agree with her politically but assassination is not the way to express your views.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:11 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,424,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Mine too. I cannot stop thinking about the family of the nine year old girl. Heartbreaking.
Amen. As I said earlier, there is NOTHING worse than death. Guns create death. Why legalize them? I don't believe an object can be inherently evil, but guns are about as close to that as is possible. You can defend your house with nonlethal means.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:11 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,489,971 times
His favorite book is Mein Kampf, yet he is anti-government who tried to join the military and was rejected.

A confused psychopath.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:12 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,108,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Mine too. I cannot stop thinking about the family of the nine year old girl. Heartbreaking.
Me too. Her neighbor took her to the event so she could see how her government works. She had just been elected to the student council.
I can't imagine what her family is going through.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:14 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,518,556 times
From what I saw of what he put on youtube, he's absolutely nuts.

And, I'm not going to read this entire thread, but if it hasn't been posted, some people who knew the killer have been posting on twitter, some of it is very telling: Caitie Parker (caitieparker) on Twitter

He wasn't a tea partier. He was just nuts.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:16 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,006,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Yeah, it's so far right that it re-elected a DEMOCRAT to office THREE MONTHS AGO. One terrorist does not reflect upon the entire population. If the entire state turned right, Gifford would have lost so your theory is completely asinine.

And this was not a case about bigotry and prejudice. It's sad that some uneducated people are trying to turn this into an anti-Arizona thread. This was the act of one crazy individual whose motivations were based on political ideology not bigotry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Pima County Sheriff: "I think that people who are unbalanced are especially susceptible to vitriol."

He also just said AZ has become a mecca for prejudice and bigotry. He's been railing against it all day.

I don't know his political leanings but I certainly hope he leans right. We on the left can say this until we're blue in the face but it won't have an impact.
Does this make the Pima County Sheriff anti-Arizona as well azriverfan?

Also, her windows were busted out following her YES vote on healthcare reform.

I have not commented on this but will now. AZ is filled with a bunch of right wing nut cases and the Pima County Sheriff is right. Sad to say, I am not in the least bit surprised this happened here. I am just surprised it hasn't happened sooner.

I ought to know as I LIVE HERE, unfortunately.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:16 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,036,636 times
My prayers go out to all the families affected by this tragedy.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-08-2011 at 07:28 PM..

Old 01-08-2011, 07:18 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
There are laws prohibiting mentally disturbed individuals from possessing firearms. It would seem they were not effective in this instance.
How would one know someone was mentally disturbed?

Old 01-08-2011, 07:20 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Does this make the Pima County Sheriff anti-Arizona as well azriverfan?

Also, her windows were busted out following her YES vote on healthcare reform.

I have not commented on this but will now. AZ is filled with a bunch of right wing nut cases and the Pima County Sheriff is right. Sad to say, I am not in the least bit surprised this happened here. I am just surprised it hasn't happened sooner.

I ought to know as I LIVE HERE, unfortunately.
The killer in this case leans left if he leans in any particular direction...sorry to ruin your fantasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies