Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 06:47 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Democrats and Republicans all loved Gabby Gifford ..

This senseless act of violence transcends all things political ..

It is my sincere hope that the Federal Government follow the letter of the law in this case, up to and including the execution of the shooter.

Here's an email from Alan Grayson about Gifford...

A reporter called me a little while ago, and told me that Rep. Gabrielle Giffords had been shot at a public event. She is in critical condition.

I'm going to let others comment on what this means for America. I just want to say what it means to me.

Gabrielle Giffords and I served together on the House Committee on Science and Technology. She was the Chairman of the Subcommittee on Space and Aeronautics, and I was a member of that subcommittee. Her D.C. office was one floor above mine.

I saw Gabby dozens, if not hundreds of times, during our two years together. And nearly every time that I can remember, she was smiling.

Gabby is one of the most cheerful, charming and engaging people I have ever known. She's always looking on the bright side. She has something good to say about pretty much everyone. Bad news never lays a glove on her. She loves life, and all the people in it.

No matter what is going on in your life, after fifteen minutes with Gabby, you'll feel that you can touch the stars.

Everyone knew that Gabby would have a tough race in 2010. (She actually won with 49% of the vote.) But I always thought that if each of her constituents could spend that fifteen minutes with her, and see what she is really like, then she would win with 99.9% of the vote. (Same thing about Harry Teague of New Mexico, who lost, and a few others that I could name.) You would want her as your Congressman, because you would want her as your friend.

I know nothing about the man who shot Gabby, and what was going through his mind when he did this. But I will tell you this - if he shot Gabby out of hatred, then it wasn't Gabby he was shooting, but rather some cartoon version of her, drawn by her political opposition. Because there is no way - NO WAY - that anyone who really knows Gabby could hate her or hurt her. She is a kind, gentle soul.

My heart goes out to Mark Kelly, Gabby's husband, and the many, many people who love her. Gabby, we don't want to lose you. Please stay here with us.

Alan Grayson

Old 01-08-2011, 06:47 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Basing a society solely on want creates a selfish, arrogant society. Oh wait...
Your society that you would like sounds a lot like Cuba, China and or the former USSR. The only problem is the only the elite will have anything other than basic necessities.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:48 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Matters not. Ban, strict whatever they will get them.
Exactly, do you think crazy people like this wouldn't obtain a gun if there were laws banning it? It's like drugs. They are illegal but those who want them bad enough can get them. It's the same way with guns. There could be laws banning and it would be so easy to acquire one on any given day. Gun laws would not prevent this shooting, that much is clear. If you want to blame anything or anyone, blame this kid's parents for doing a terrible job raising him.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:49 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Lets put down the history book for a moment, Professor, and try to comprehend my message. THIS IS NOT HOW THINGS SHOULD BE DONE.

Do you get it now? Reading comprehension, Sox, reading comprehension.
It is hard to understand what you are trying to say when you keep changing it all the time. Try working on articulation rather than getting upset.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:50 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Exactly, do you think crazy people like this wouldn't obtain a gun if there were laws banning it? It's like drugs. They are illegal but those who want them bad enough can get them. It's the same way with guns. There could be laws banning and it would be so easy to acquire one on any given day. Gun laws would not prevent this shooting, that much is clear.
Look no further than Chicago for proof gun control only limits law abiding citizens. California has some of the more strict laws and yet parts of LA are a war zone of crime.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:54 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Mrs. Palin knows who her base is. She knows exactly what and who she's playing to. Her little crosshairs metaphor has been the subject of some concern for months now, and she's been aware of that.

She's naive but not that naive.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:55 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,927 times
Ok all those bashing Palin can you show me one shred of evidence that this kid followed her or even visited her site or even said her name?

Old 01-08-2011, 07:07 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missed Behaving View Post
Getting back on topic, although I'm saddened by the personal tragedies of the victims, I'm also reminded of the words of Thomas Jefferson.

- The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Well, it has been refreshed by the blood of 18 people. I don't see why you think it was necessary though.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:07 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Murder, including mass murder, has been carried out many times without needing a gun to do so. Oklahoma City, for instance. I do not believe that banning guns is the answer here. This was the actions of a very clearly disturbed individual. My prayers go out to the families of all affected by this tragedy.
Mine too. I cannot stop thinking about the family of the nine year old girl. Heartbreaking.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:09 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Maybe we should ban the word "ban" in all political discourse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies