Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 09:05 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,991,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
This is a disaster for the military.
which makes it a disaster for the USA as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 09:07 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,991,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC2000 View Post
really? when, and where are your sources. I know he was agnostic, so there goes our Christian Nation, but this is new to me
G. Washington was no where near an agnostic. What a bunch of BS.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:39 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,603,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
which makes it a disaster for the USA as well.
How? I guess you have been blind to the fact that gays have been serving, with distinction I might add, in the military for many decades.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:44 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,948,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Way to go dems!

Bunch of morons.

Wait until we see the unintended consequences of this.
oh well they bettter not whine, this is what they wanted so there you go have fun with it

Old 12-21-2010, 12:30 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,712,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
McCain served with distinction in the military, he at least has first hand knowledge of how homosexuals are viewed in the military.
1. His "distinction" was that he crashed planes and got captured by the enemy. Not very smart.

2. He graduated 894th out of 899 students at the U.S. Naval Academy. I don't know how anyone can admire that.

3. His "first hand knowledge" about homosexuals in the military is from when - the 1960s? Things have changed dramatically since then.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:33 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,712,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Storm View Post
So, it is important for someone who is gay or lesbian in the military to be able to announce they are what they are? How many straight soldiers get up and announce to their platoon that they are straight?
Man, you obviously just don't get it.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:54 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,808,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
1. His "distinction" was that he crashed planes and got captured by the enemy. Not very smart.

2. He graduated 894th out of 899 students at the U.S. Naval Academy. I don't know how anyone can admire that.

3. His "first hand knowledge" about homosexuals in the military is from when - the 1960s? Things have changed dramatically since then.
He crashed?

He was shot down by a frikkin LAM you moron. When you "crash" because you've been "shot down by a heat seeking missle" it's usually over enemy territory. He had broken his leg and both arms, he only had a pistol with dozens of combatants swarming him. Being captured or suicide were his only choices and in his mind being captured WAS suicide (one more mark in the bravery column). Can "smart" really get you out of that situation? Come here, let me shoot you and then explain why you weren't able to dodge the bullet.

At least he was in the top 899 (smirk)!

His distinction was how he handled himself after being captured and tortured for years. Could any graduate, of any class, have handled his situation in Saigon/Hanoi any better than McCain did? He IS a hero regardless of your differences politically or socially.

Please join the military and I'll be the first to send your CO my support of your ability to excel on the FL better than anyone.

Last edited by steven_h; 12-21-2010 at 01:03 PM..

Old 12-21-2010, 01:18 PM

22,217 posts, read 19,516,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Storm View Post
Is there more to that post? I was waiting for the punchline to be delivered?

Maginalize? So, it is important for someone who is gay or lesbian in the military to be able to announce they are what they are? How many straight soldiers get up and announce to their platoon that they are straight? I am asking you directly since you were in the military. What branch did you serve in?
Again this isn't about announcing that someone is gay, its about not getting kicked out if someone is. If its revealed someone is gay that person is kicked out, if its revealed someone is straight that person isn't kicked out.

If a straight guy gets a gift from his girlfriend they can say, it was from their girlfriend, if a gay guy got a gift from his boyfriend, he would need to lie about who got him the gift. Its about equality, plain and simple

Old 12-21-2010, 01:44 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,712,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
How? I guess you have been blind to the fact that gays have been serving, with distinction I might add, in the military for many decades.
This "fact" is not relevant. How do you know that gays have served with distinction? Did they come out after they completed their service? Did they call you directly to break the news?
But, lets say that you are correct: This means that they served as a US serviceman, NOT a gay serviceman. Do you think Michael Jordan wants to be known as a great black basketball player? Or Larry Bird as a great white basketball player? They were both great basketball players.
The overblown media attention to the gay issue does not help gays, it just stereotypes them as "gay"

Old 12-21-2010, 01:57 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,712,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Why do you assume that? Many many heterosexuals are "cheerleaders" for this cause, myself included, and that doesn't mean they're related to someone gay... I do happen to have some close gay friends, but a ton of my fellow "straight cheerleaders" do not. Do you think everyone is selfish, and only cares about things that directly affect THEM?

Also, this becomes a question of the chicken vs the egg - are people with gay friends more sympathetic because of their friends, or do they have gay friends because they're sympathetic to the cause? Hmmmmm.
It seems that the gays are the ones who are selfish here. This new policy will cause the military to jump through hoops just so flaming homos can tell people they are gay. newsflash: Most people do not care, or don't want to know that you are gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies