Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 03:22 PM

5,236 posts, read 4,725,851 times

Advertisements

what really stands out in the OP is the overwhelming evidence of the fallacy in trying to pigeonhole someone's personal philosophy into a type of political label. The OP has probably been operating awhile under the assumption that these terms like Liberal and Conservative are actually expansive enough to do the Job when attempting to engage people in a discussion of politics. The radio prophets like Rush and "the Bill O" have done a real number on those who listen and who readily admit to their own lack of political reading, those sages of the airwaves sound real angry over what is happening to the average American, they tell them who to blame for the current economic nightmare (the Dems) and conveniently leave out the real culprits on Wall Street who are paying their salary in a roundabout way. On the other side of the phony political two party theatrics you see the media persuading concentrated on getting the masses to vote Democratic and promising the same outcome, happiness and fair and balanced government. In either case there is no truth to the propaganda or promises.

I'm guessing that more Americans over time will come to realize the great game the upper class has going for themselves by encouraging this theatre of the absurd that is American politics to pass as real government. Very few, with the exception of those with extra hard heads really believe the terms Liberal and Conservative are sufficient to fully explain their political beliefs, that's why we see so many on here proclaiming to be somehow different than most by stating the obvious; Very few fit perfectly within those narrow parameters. Real thinkers seldom need to regurgitate the nonsense spread by those on the radio, and yes we all use some of the pejorative slogans and snide references to those we disagree with online, but I'm wondering just how civilized a real one on one conversation would be when folks come out from behind their computers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 03:59 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,418,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I'm wondering just how civilized a real one on one conversation would be when folks come out from behind their computers.
Quite civil, i'd bet. At least that's been my experience. The type of insults that i must endure online won't fly with me in person...trust me. You're not gonna treat me as if i'm some liberal dishrag, you're not gonna insult my race (and get away with it), nor will you question my honor and personal integrity based on my political beliefs. But it happens on forums all the time. In my face...NEVER!

Old 11-09-2010, 04:16 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,343,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Being sort of Democratic or sort of Republican is ok until you get into the voting booth. If you write in a candidate it won't do you any good since they won't go anywhere. If you vote independent it won't go anywhere. You need to chose and hold your nose which I think most people do anyway. We are still a 2 party system and I don't see any changes there.
As long as people think like that way we'll have lousy politicians in office. Personally I pick the candidate that best reflects my personal beliefs about government and the economy and vote accordingly even if it means voting for a third party candidate. I also REFUSE to hold my nose and just vote for the lesser of two evils. Basically it comes to this if I don't believe in you are what you are saying you don't get my vote.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:32 PM

23,661 posts, read 17,636,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
As long as people think like that way we'll have lousy politicians in office. Personally I pick the candidate that best reflects my personal beliefs about government and the economy and vote accordingly even if it means voting for a third party candidate. I also REFUSE to hold my nose and just vote for the lesser of two evils. Basically it comes to this if I don't believe in you are what you are saying you don't get my vote.
Well, I don't think I will ever agree 100% with any candidate so then my choice is never to vote but that may be what most Americans are doing now when they stay home.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:59 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,982,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
It's come to my attention that I'm what liberals and progressives fear most.

I'm a married white conservative Tea Party supporter, I don't really like Democrats or Republicans but 95% of the time I side with Republicans because they tend to be more conservative.

I'm 100% in support of gay marriage, civil unions, whatever gay people want. It doesn't affect me in any way, let them be happy if they want.

I'm very much pro-workers rights therefore I'm anti-labor union since all they do these days is collect dues and spread corruption.

I'm 100% in support of repealing DADT now, there's no reason why a gay person shouldn't be able to openly serve his/her country.

I'm pro-life but I fully support a woman's right to choose what she does with her body. In my honest opinion, any woman who's willing to abort her child shouldn't be forced to raise one and probably wouldn't do a very good job of it anyway so save us all some trouble down the road.

I 100% support cutting our military spending budget by 25% across the board.

I 100% support ending the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, not just renaming them while leaving thousands of our troops to fight and die in a war under a different name. I also support closing down military bases all over the world and bringing those troops home to protect our border instead of South Korea's.

I'm sure there are tons of other reasons why liberal progressives fear me but these are the few that came to mind.
Funny, you are exactly backwards. Liberals fear people who make decisions based on the nonsense spewed forth by fox news and AM talk radio. People who have no regard for the facts and more or less believe whatever they are told.

I welcome people like you, who use your brain. I'm more liberal but I think we need liberals, conservatives, and people in-between to make this country work.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:08 PM

5,236 posts, read 4,725,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I think most people actually make an honest attempt to vote for the candidate that most reflects their own personal philosophy, the trouble starts when we realize that the candidates are allowed to create their political facade with the help of a compliant media and the candidate's own "handlers". When we're treated to those TV presentations of various political candidates going through their well rehearsed mantra of canned "I care about YOU" speeches through fifty cities and forty states they are aptly revealed to be the marionettes that so many have accused them of being.

I don't fault any American at this point for opposing the theatrical nature of US politics, over the last eleven presidents/parties I've lived under I fail to see anything but the encroachment of wealth becoming the real US power base, not the people. Part of this view includes a certain fatigue factor in our political system that has voters confused and burnt out by the empty promises of both parties. Third parties seem to be a natural response to the disenchantment with the usual suspects in DC, but of course they eventually get pulled in and filled in on the real situational mechanics of how things really work in Washington.

The sad truth is that money talks, the American government has historically been and probably always will be for sale to those with the cash to impose their own definition of government on the rest of us, thus our political system provides what's been called a "win-win" situation for those on top. Once that's solid in your mind it's easy to see the futility of participating in the charade of our voter participation. Yeah, that's sour grapes alright but I think that view is becoming a looming political conundrum for those who have been spending millions trying to tell us why we should vote for their guy. The one thing that all politicians fear is that we the people may just have to get together and put a stop to their control by actually talking among ourselves, Oh I know that's a somewhat radical idea in this current era of political polarity driven by both parties that think we should be satisfied with "the show" they put on wherein THEY get to define the parameters of the debate, not us....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies