Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:04 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,242,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Here's another scenario for you. I believe that the Muslims have the constitutional right to build their mosque two blocks from ground zero, but at the same time, I feel that building a mosque in this particular location is in the poorest of taste in light of 9/11. Does that make sense?

I have several friends that are gay. One in particular fought SO hard to be straight at the beginning that it was pathetic to watch. Finally, he came out, and has been much happier since. I wish them the best. The problem is that most of the gays on this thread are often very hostile. You are either with them 100% or you are their enemy. At least it seems that way from the many responses I've gotten. If you are not with them all the way, you are an obstacle.
They gay people I know laugh at the idea of gay marriage. I"m sure they support it, but its not something that interests them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 07:33 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Do not EVER say "pursuit of happiness". it's not part of the constitution, nor is it a right, nor should it be a right.

WHat makes pedophiles happy? Having sex with kids. Should they have the pursuit of happiness to do that?

Serial killers, what makes them happy? Killing people.

Think before you type, please.

THe constitution protects, life, liberty, and property.
No. Minors are exactly that and are not able to give their consent to a relationship. Anything that two or more people wish to do who are consenting adults should be entirely legal and noe of anyone's business who is not directly involved.

Again, Consent is the issue.

Likewise sexual acts with animals. Consent.

The constitution does, however, spell out in the 14th Amendment that just because the majority wants something, they cannot necessarily have it if it infringes on the rights of someone else. That is why there are federally protected classes of people, to prevent discrimination, and gays have been discriminated against and persecuted for ages. It is a simple matter of Civil and Human Rights. The latest ruling is factually based and is unlikely to be overturned by SCOTUS.

I hope not. I have a couple of weddings I am looking forward to attending.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:36 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
They gay people I know laugh at the idea of gay marriage. I"m sure they support it, but its not something that interests them.
How many gay people do you know? Every one of them I know fully supports total equality and gay marriage with all the legal protections and benefits even if they do not themselves want to get married.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:47 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Ah, the famed liberal tolerance. Everyone who disagrees with me is stupid.
No, that's not what I said.

The fact is that people with higher levels of intelligence and education have an easier time accepting ideas that are different from the norm.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:01 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,592,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Thing is, domestic partnership is NOT the same as marriage.
OK let me hear all about the many many Differences ....

Old 08-05-2010, 09:09 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Quote:
References (1)
References allow you to track sources for this article, as well as articles that were written in response to this article.

Response
Response: Myths/Facts (orig: and misery and justice for all)
by lizard at dotlizard dot com on May 3, 2009
MYTH: marriage is a religious concept and has always been between a man and a woman. FACT: marriage predates recorded history, but the earliest known traditions in Greco-Roman times were intended to define who got the dowry, who inherited what, and who was the boss of who.
Umm, sure... uhh ok, let me rebuttal with a utube video.

*chuckle*

Old 08-05-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
And your point about what percentage of the population
gays are is... I think you have it backwards. Its the
religious right that forces their opinions on the masses.

The whole premise of prop 8 was that that leaving the constitution unchanged would result in public schools teaching our kids that gay marriage is okay.

Let's bring back the chastity belt, while were at it
The term today implies over protectiveness. What are you really afraid of? That our children will just jump on that Gay wagon and there will be no reproduction of the species

Frankly, there are some hetro folks I'd be more than happy to see their bloodline come to an end
I don't care what their position is.

Look at my finger, that is it, follow it... back to me... You here? Good.

My argument is not that which contend. I laid out my argument. Make a point against that, or find a rock and open your soul to it.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I understand your point. In your mind, gay people are advocating for change because the traditional understanding of marriage is between a man and a woman. But the legal definition has not explicitly limited marriage to a contract between a man and a woman. Hence, the anti-gay marriage activists are indeed the ones trying to change the definition legally.
Everything else you posted is an argument to a point that is irrelevant to the issue.

That is, why should they have to defend the meaning of a word past its meaning across boundaries to which you contest?

You make a single point that is relevant right at the start. They contest because of what they lack in terms of legal recognition. This is what Civil Unions are for, this is what they serve. Everything else is simply attempting to demand conformity to a view.

I have said this is in past discussions like these. While there are some states that it might be an issue, if the homosexual community put even a 1/4 of the effort they do into demanding Marriage be changed to include homosexuals into Civil unions being up to par with the federal/state/civil responsibilities and legal protections that marriage has, this would have been over decades ago.

They chose a battle which lends itself far more to demanding acceptance and thumbing ones nose in the face of those who have rational arguments against their "marriage" position than it does to actually achieving what it claims it wants.

Due to this reason, I personally hope they get nothing. They are devious, narcissistic, and belligerent and they deserve nothing more than society giving them a hard kick in the teeth for their arrogant demands.

This issue is and always has been about complete and submissive acceptance of homosexual practice. Nothing more.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:41 PM

396 posts, read 732,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I have said this is in past discussions like these. While there are some states that it might be an issue, if the homosexual community put even a 1/4 of the effort they do into demanding Marriage be changed to include homosexuals into Civil unions being up to par with the federal/state/civil responsibilities and legal protections that marriage has, this would have been over decades ago.
"Separate but equal." We settled that as being not ok in this country oh, some 40+ years back.

Quote:
They chose a battle which lends itself far more to demanding acceptance and thumbing ones nose in the face of those who have rational arguments against their "marriage" position than it does to actually achieving what it claims it wants.
Funny, in the nearly 25 years that I've been actively involved in the GLBT community and advocating for equal rights, I've yet to hear even one "rational argument" against gay marriage. I've heard a lot of "god hates teh homos" stuff, I've heard a lot of "think of teh childrenzzzz" hysteria, I've even heard every twist and take on "teh nature is not natural" garbage - but as yet, I have not seen a single "rational argument" whereby it is justified and right to deny equal state and federal recognition to gay couples as is granted to straight couples.

If you have one to share, please do... I'm always open to being surprised.

Quote:
Due to this reason, I personally hope they get nothing. They are devious, narcissistic, and belligerent and they deserve nothing more than society giving them a hard kick in the teeth for their arrogant demands.
You can "hope" as much as you want. The reality is, within the next 5-10 years at most, they will have identical rights and benefits to those now enjoyed by heterosexual married couples.

Quote:
This issue is and always has been about complete and submissive acceptance of homosexual practice. Nothing more.
Yes, you've discovered our nefarious plans... we're gonna turn the entire country into a bunch of flaming homos. Just watch... we're already introducing gene therapy into the water you drink... one day, you're gonna wake up, and BOOM! Gay as a picnic basket! Mwahahahahahaha.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:42 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Everything else you posted is an argument to a point that is irrelevant to the issue.

That is, why should they have to defend the meaning of a word past its meaning across boundaries to which you contest?

You make a single point that is relevant right at the start. They contest because of what they lack in terms of legal recognition. This is what Civil Unions are for, this is what they serve. Everything else is simply attempting to demand conformity to a view.

I have said this is in past discussions like these. While there are some states that it might be an issue,1. if the homosexual community put even a 1/4 of the effort they do into demanding Marriage be changed to include homosexuals into Civil unions being up to par with the federal/state/civil responsibilities and legal protections that marriage has, this would have been over decades ago.

They chose a battle which lends itself far more to demanding acceptance and thumbing ones nose in the face of 2. those who have rational arguments against their "marriage" position than it does to actually achieving what it claims it wants.

3. This issue is and always has been about complete and submissive acceptance of homosexual practice. Nothing more.
1. I doubt it. Not in a country where there are places that still want to outlaw sodomy and oral sex.
2. I'd love to hear a rational argument about it. Haven't yet. Marriage has been changing in purpose and participants since the beginning of time.
3. Please. Even you don't believe that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies