Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 09:32 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,757,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA Kate View Post
Clearly this judge likes to legislate from the bench.
"legislate from the bench"? All he said was that this law violates the US Constitution and should be nullified. He also realizes that the prop 8 proponents disagree with that and will appeal, which is why he put a temporary 'stay' on the ruling. Or did you not know that is his job? Would you feel the same way about the ruling had it been a married, Christian man or woman who had made the same ruling?
Quote:
Proponents should get this ruling thrown out because it violated their constitutional right to a fair and speedy trial.
Really? What was 'unfair' about it? As for 'speedy', I don't think I've ever seen a speedier trial on ANY issue.
Quote:
This judge is openly GAY for GOD sake! How convenient if you ask me. He should have done the right thing and removed himself from such a high profile case especially since he has a vested interest in the outcome .
And you 'know' he has a 'vested interest', how? Just the fact that he's gay says nothing whatsoever about any kind of 'vested interest'. Have you researched the man's judicial history? His personal life? His education history? Until you do so, you have no basis for a claim of 'vested interest'.
Quote:
The "trial" ended before it even started since his mind was already made up.
So, now you're a mind reader and can say with impunity that 'his mind was made up' before the trial started? Must be nice to know what others are thinking.
Quote:
Will pray the U.S. Supreme Court makes the right decision and reverses this joke of a ruling.
And I'm hoping they do the right thing and reverse this marriage ban, not only in California, but throughout the country.
Quote:

This ruling along with the earlier Arizona Immigration law ruling shows how jacked up and out of touch these federal "bench legislators" in the 9th circuit are with the American Voting citizenry in those states. These judges have slapped the voting people of the states of California in the face.
You really should study the Constitution, in particular the 14th amendment and learn what it really means. The 'voting people' of any state have NO RIGHT to unilaterally deny privileges to any group of people without good cause. And this case showed there was NO GOOD CAUSE for this law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 09:43 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,404,775 times
For those who would like to read Judge Walker's ruling, you can find it here:

Prop 8 Ruling FINAL

or

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/whats-a-boy-to-do/WalkerDecision.pdf (broken link)

Old 08-07-2010, 11:04 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,064,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
According to a Gallop poll in May this year, it looks like public opinion has been changing towards approval of gay marriage. If the trend continues it won't be too much longer before more than 50% of Americans are in favor of legalising gay marriage.

Americans' Opposition to Gay Marriage Eases Slightly
I find it very interesting that the percentage of poll respondents who would approve the legalization of gay marriage has hovered consistently at 60% since the thread was posted.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:22 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,032,083 times
Quote:
For those who would like to read Judge Walker's ruling, you can find it here:

Prop 8 Ruling FINAL

or

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/whats-a-boy-to-do/WalkerDecision.pdf (broken link)
Thanks for the link = the second one chicagonow is much
easier to read. The most interesting part was this - why because the basis behind the proponents of Preposition 8
is children. Their reason for the exclusion of gays to marry is for children...

Um Yvette just mentioned some statistics
about growing up in families without a mother and father
at home. How important it is to have that kind of thing.
I’m not a sociologist. I’m not a psychologist. I’m just
a human being but you don’t need to be wearing a white
coat to know that kids need a mom and dad. I’m a dad and
I know that I provide something different than my wife
does in our family and my wife provides something
entirely different than I do in our family and both are
vital.”
“When moms are in the park taking care of
their kids they always know where those kids are. They
have like a, like a radar around them. They know where
those kids are and there’s just a, there’s a bond between
a mom and a kid different from a dad. I’m not saying
dads don’t have that bond but they don’t. It’s just
different. You know middle of the night mom will wake
up. Dad will just sleep you know if there’s a little
noise in the room. And, and when kids get scared they
run to mommy. Why? They spent 9 months in mommy. They go back to where they came.”;

PX390 Video, Ron Prentice Addressing Supporters of
Proposition 8, Part I at 5:25-6:04: Prentice tells people
at a religious rally that marriage is not about love but
instead about women civilizing men: “Again, because it’s
not about two people in love, it’s about men becoming
civilized frankly, and I can tell you this from personal
experience and every man in this audience can do the same if they’ve chosen to marry, because when you do find the woman that you love you are compelled to listen to her, and when the woman that I love prior to my marrying her told me that my table manners were less than adequate I became more civilized; when she told me that my rust colored corduroy were never again to be worn, I became more civilized.”;

I didn't even know statements like the above are even
allowed in a court case - there is no relevancy there.
The above statements have slammed everyone from adoptive parents, single fathers and single mothers, and
a woman's role in marriage.

This holier than thow mentality of selective normalcy has to stop. Do they actually think "their children" have the
best situation, simply because it is a marriage between a man and a women with biological children? I beg to differ - and I am not wearing a white coat either

I never knew my role in my marriage was to civilize my husband. God knows he has left the house in a yellow jogging suit, that I told him never to wear - I must be
married to a caveman

In the reading of the whole case, I have never seen more
stereotypes and discrimination in my life. You might be
able to pass this stuff off in your church, but not on a
legal level.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:29 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,404,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I find it very interesting that the percentage of poll respondents who would approve the legalization of gay marriage has hovered consistently at 60% since the thread was posted.
Me too, although it's probably higher because of the top option "it's already legal where I live".
The "against" percentage has hovered around the 30% mark.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:39 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,994,412 times
Quote:
According to a Gallop poll in May this year, it looks like public opinion has been changing towards approval of gay marriage. If the trend continues it won't be too much longer before more than 50% of Americans are in favor of legalising gay marriage.

Americans' Opposition to Gay Marriage Eases Slightly
The long-term trend is an increase for support of same-sex marriage of 1-2% annually. This is not surprising - most people exiting society each year are those who grew up in an era when homosexuality was widely condemned and unseen, while most new additions to (adult) society each year have grown up in an era where they may well know homosexuals and know from personal experience that except for sexual preference they are like everyone else.

Society also had to slowly come around to many other ideas, such as women's suffrage, interracial marriages, and so forth.

The question of same-sex marriage is not "if" but "when".

Old 08-07-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Clearly this judge likes to legislate from the bench. Proponents should get this ruling thrown out because it violated their constitutional right to a fair and speedy trial. This judge is openly GAY for GOD sake! How convenient if you ask me. He should have done the right thing and removed himself from such a high profile case especially since he has a vested interest in the outcome . The "trial" ended before it even started since his mind was already made up. Will pray the U.S. Supreme Court makes the right decision and reverses this joke of a ruling.

This ruling along with the earlier Arizona Immigration law ruling shows how jacked up and out of touch these federal "bench legislators" in the 9th circuit are with the American Voting citizenry in those states. These judges have slapped the voting people of the states of California in the face.
The right to a "speedy trial" comes from the Sixth Amendment and applies only to criminal prosecutions. This was not a criminal trial.

Amendment VI (ratified 1791)
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district where in the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

But thank you for making that comment, Kate. It perfectly illustrates that you don't understand even the most basic elements of Constitutional law.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:47 AM

37,157 posts, read 19,271,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
All of these lawsuits that predicate their justification on our Constitution should wave a great big red flag as to WHY the election of a President is extremely important since it is the President that nominates individuals to fill vacancies on the Supreme Court, to where most of these cases will rise. IMHO, this alone is the most important consideration when voting for anyone for President since this is a "LIFETIME" appointment and we have to live with the decisions made by these people until they either retire or pass on.
If we can only get two more retirees during Obama's time in office he can change the world forever.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Nope, marriage is defined outside of legal realms (and outside of specific religious context). Legal realms recognize marriage. Legal realms can adjust between each other, they never change the definition of marriage, only the level they are willing to recognize of it.
Yes, genius, the law defines marriage. Every state in the United States defines marriage. It is defined as to the number of people who may be in a marriage, it is defined as to the relative genders of the people who may be in a marriage, it is defined as to the ages of the people who may be in a marriage. It used to be defined as to the relative races of the people in a marriage.

Now, it is clear that this upsets you so much that you claim it doesn't happen. However, this makes you look hopelessly foolish. So, please, keep it up...

Old 08-07-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
If we can only get two more retirees during Obama's time in office he can change the world forever.
I would say Ginsberg is the only current Justice with any likelihood of leaving the bench during Obama's current term. If he wins a second term, her retirement is very likely, and another vacancy or two becomes very possible, though certainly not assured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies