Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 04:51 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,476,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Of course not.

No bias there.....
Should a judge who is woman be forced to be removed from a case dealing with women's rights? Should a judge who is black be removed from Civil Rights case? Should we make sure no judges involved in an interracial marriage case have ever been in an interracial relationship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 04:53 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,945,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
My scenario fits this perfectly. Again, it's the best compromise: If the state has nothing to do with "Marriage" but legal benefits come from "Civil unions" that gay and straight people can both get. "Marriage" is left to the churches and whoever else, and has no real legal power by itself. It's a win-win for all.
hummm maybe your on to something

22,193 posts, read 19,476,372 times
Quote:
Some of us Catholics still blame the Jews for Jesus' torture. Guess we can blame 'em for bad marriages too.

Who said anything about bad marriages??

Do you think we should invalidate or ban marriages between Catholics and Jews?

396 posts, read 732,856 times
Quote:
Of course not.

No bias there.....
What cracks me up is that people keep jumping in here making this argument because they can't be bothered to read the previous 40 pages of the thread, let alone ACTUALLY read the court transcripts, and see what a ridiculous assertion this is.

Tell me Yaz (for about the dozenth time this has been asked) - if the judge had a bias, because of his sexuality, why didn't the prop 8 people ask him to recuse himself from the start?

Clearly THEY didn't feel his sexuality was at issue... nor was his sexuality a secret - so why is it only now, that his opinion has been handed down, that suddenly he's biased?

Do share... no one else has bothered to explain it.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:54 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,093,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
No more than a straight judge presiding.

Have you actually read the court proceedings?
Workin' on it.

I voted in the poll "not sure."

I need to know the facts before I reach an opinion. I just like to chime in and be a smart alec.

Gotta admit, as a white heterosexual happily married man, I'm a little confused about the hub-ub. Ignore me and my little blurbs, as I'm just spreadin' a 'lil humor around.

Carry on......

Old 08-05-2010, 04:55 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Should a judge who is woman be forced to be removed from a case dealing with women's rights? Should a judge who is black be removed from Civil Rights case? Should we make sure no judges involved in an interracial marriage case have ever been in an interracial relationship?
why not?

We do it with juries....

Old 08-05-2010, 04:59 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
What cracks me up is that people keep jumping in here making this argument because they can't be bothered to read the previous 40 pages of the thread

Tell me Yaz (for about the dozenth time this has been asked) - if the judge had a bias, because of his sexuality, why didn't the prop 8 people ask him to recuse himself from the start?

Do share... no one else has bothered to explain it.
started to read all of it......hard to filter out the drivel.....

Prop 8 folks are too busy with their lives. I dunno. Maybe they're lazy.

good question.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:00 PM

720 posts, read 691,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
In all the apartments and houses I looked at, the application fee was always "Per Adult or married couple". Each adult had to fill out the application, but the costs were always "Per adult or married couple". If you could, can you show me where California prohibits this? ((I'm rather curious))
A Under California law, it is not legal for a landlord to have different income requirements for married and unmarried couples. The California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) prohibits landlords, real estate agents, home sellers and banks from discriminating based on marital status. This means that housing providers cannot refuse to deal with or impose different terms or conditions to people based on whether they are married, separated, divorced, or single. If the company wants to enforce a policy requiring that the household income of applicants equal three times the rent, that policy must be enforced for all applicants, regardless of their marital status.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:01 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Who said anything about bad marriages??

Do you think we should invalidate or ban marriages between Catholics and Jews?
Yes.

Menoras don't hang well on Christmas trees. Besides, they're a fire hazard. And ya gotta take off your hat in church. No yarmulkes allowed.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:02 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,945,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
Homosexuality is no more "an abnormality, disorder or deficiency of some sort" than having red hair, green eyes, a pointy nose or a small penis is. It is simply somewhere on the range of acceptable and natural and healthy traits one is born with... there is "the norm" aka "the average" and then a billion other combinations that still fall somewhere on the scale of natural traits and how they may develop, or not, within the human being.
please tell me how this is natural? i really want to know i am not being an ass i just cant see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies