Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 04:05 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,986,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Could you tell me how the Declaration was "presented to Congress" when Congress did not exist for several years AFTER the Revolutionary War and it was the Declaration that told King George we were considering going to war?
I believe eaglepa17 is conflating into one the Congress of the United States as legally established by the United States Constitution, which was not created until 1789 and featured the direct election of members by popular vote, and the Second Continental Congress, which sat from 1775 to 1781 and consisted of members appointed by legislatures and popular conventions (it varied depending on the state) and had no legal basis behind its existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 07:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Spoiler
I woke up the other morning; and look at my hand and was thinking this ring and thought wow I guess this
makes it an engagement ring!

New Beginnings will happen with America this is a great year!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-13-2010 at 10:14 PM..

Old 08-13-2010, 08:27 PM

396 posts, read 732,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Spoiler
I woke up the other and look at my hand and was thinking this ring and thought wow I guess this
makes it an engagement ring!

New Beginnings will happen with America this is a great year!
This made me smile.

Congratulations!

Old 08-13-2010, 09:08 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,604 times
Default Positive News For A Change from California

I am glad the judge in California understands the consitution. The majority of people in California & the U.S. may not approve of same sex marriage but fear not, the consititution protects the minorities from the will of the majority. The
"due process" clause protects every citizen as it regards to their civil rights.
I understand illegal immigrants can migrate to California, marry a U.S. citizen and thereby inherit all of the rights of an American. It just doesn't seem logical or fair for a gay citizen(who is a taxpayer) to be denied the right to marry. The right wingers are always saying the government should not get involved in our lives, but these folks are the first to say NO to gay marriage!
Such B.S.!! BTW, I hope the Supreme Court will rule someday Gays can marry regardless of where they live! If South Africa can do it, so can we!

Old 08-14-2010, 02:12 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,731,881 times
Lightbulb ~~~*~~~

"Only the development of compassion and understanding for others can bring us the tranquillity and happiness we all seek." - His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Old 08-14-2010, 02:33 PM

783 posts, read 814,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
"Only the development of compassion and understanding for others can bring us the tranquillity and happiness we all seek." - His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Unfortanatly right wing and conservative christian ideologhy lacks compassion butt is full of outdated tradtionalism judgementalism dogmatism superstition and fake morals.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:43 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
From your link:

This is what the other poster was referring to, in relation to the state of Massachusetts striking down DOMA as being unconstitutional.

This is another case that will probably end up before SCOTUS, and result in a nationwide repeal of DOMA. But as it stands right now, in the state of Massachusetts, DOMA is no longer "legal."
Yes everybody is clear about the matter...Massachusetts can't strike {DOWN DOMA} it can just file suit and take it to the.......
. ..The SCOTUS...the SCOTUS is going to decide this in or before 2012...and I JUST CAN"T WAIT ..SO WE CAN TURN THE CORNER
and be forever past this issue Of GAYS MARRIAGE..the way the
SCOTUS is balanced now GAY MARRIAGE JUST NEED (1) {LJ} to
swing the court to passing this measure.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
Unfortanatly right wing and conservative christian ideologhy lacks compassion butt is full of outdated tradtionalism judgementalism dogmatism superstition and fake morals.
Yeah I agree with you and that hold true for liberal and
moderates and gays too.....because gays could've achieved
equal rights under California Domestic Partnerships without
offending Christians..some who are not CONSERVATIVE in the
least bit..but middle of the road like me. Sir Elton John feels
the same way as ME and is a life long GAY ACTIVIST see the
Link Below he doesn't believe in GAY MARRIAGES.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/tulsa...y-think-6.html

Old 08-14-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
It's really a good thing God isn't relying on you for his marketing campaign.
I'm not trying to talk others out of being PRO GAY MARRIAGE
I'm just using my rights as an American Citizen {To Exercise}
my right to free Speech...Can You Dig It.....

Old 08-14-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If the outcome of all decisions can be known ahead of time, everything is predestined - and that removes free will. If all our actions are are decided ahead of time, we are doomed to go through life as puppets, with our minds relegated to the role of thinking up rationalizations.

Of course, the absence of free will also removes responsibility. And the entire salvation thing goes by the wayside, as well. It's predetermined who'll be saved and who goes to Hell. And eternal torment for something we can't influence seems a little heavy-handed to me, truth be told.
Preknowledge doesn't take away the free will of a person
if The Supreme Being doesn't use FORCE TO FORCE HIS
DECISIONS UPON THAT HUMAN BEING.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies