Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2022, 04:25 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,964,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
i am, and that retail space will be vacant one year from now

my forecast would be different if the building was designed like the target with an inviting corner entrance that activates the intersection, but that's not how they played it

the whole setup of a grocery store on a main street next to a coffee shop and a bank and a liquor store and pharmacy, etc. does not exist there like it does on centre now

most of the whole foods traffic will be people driving their cars into the parking garage and leaving by 7pm to get home for dinner

that particular part of east liberty is dead now and will be dead a year from now
It will never be the center of activity and I do not think that is the intention. It is a massive project and with that comes infrastructure improvements and a modern feel to a great neighborhood. East Liberty will only improve over time. Most of the Market District Shadyside customers drive as well. I am one of them..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 05:07 AM

1,170 posts, read 537,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
It will never be the center of activity and I do not think that is the intention. It is a massive project and with that comes infrastructure improvements and a modern feel to a great neighborhood. East Liberty will only improve over time. Most of the Market District Shadyside customers drive as well. I am one of them..
the old walsh's bar and lounge on broad street has finally been rented and renovated

got a chance to poke my head inside and it looks awesome - they did a really nice job on the decor

think it's going to be a jazz club which is great

Old 06-21-2022, 08:35 AM

611 posts, read 366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano View Post
Makes me think that individual is a hipster who is angry about gentrification. The same gentrification that is usually done by hipsters, who simultaneously complain about evils of such an event. Funny thing is, if he walked into a Whole Foods, he could have a conversation about how bad gentrification with the other masked shoppers.

There are a lot of NIMBYs who contribute to this.

It's hardly just "hipsters," but your odd comment about "masked shoppers" is on brand.

Old 06-21-2022, 08:39 AM

611 posts, read 366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
One would expect that as the market for houses (and condos) cools, the market for apartments will continue to heat up.

After all, if home ownership is soon unaffordable for many people, they will have to continue renting instead, driving up the apartment demand.

It seems even locally, more rental apartments are needed (certainly nationally and definitely more non "luxury').

Old 06-21-2022, 08:39 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,964,197 times
Quote:
the old walsh's bar and lounge on broad street has finally been rented and renovated

got a chance to poke my head inside and it looks awesome - they did a really nice job on the decor

think it's going to be a jazz club which is great
Oh wow! I did not notice that. Walsh's had a good burger and fries with nice pitchers of beer. I wonder if the kept the retro interior?

Old 06-21-2022, 09:09 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,706,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
There are a lot of NIMBYs who contribute to this.

It's hardly just "hipsters," but your odd comment about "masked shoppers" is on brand.
NIMBYs aren't always bad. I think they get a bad name here. I've been one. They can be effective at maintaining a neighborhood's character, quiet, stopping sprawl and increasing home values. Oakland is a mess anyway. Sad, but not sure who would ever want to live full time there?

Old 06-21-2022, 10:28 AM

10,915 posts, read 4,573,047 times
FWIW and since we are 11ish miles away in westmoreland we are a pittsburgh bedroom community, but the development continues to be hot. yesterday at 7am Berk hathaway listed a property in the devp for 185 that was bought at a way low bargain of 118 4 years ago. they announced last night bids due by 7pm today for a front lawn auction, at present (talked to the owner 6 mins ago) they have 9 bids, all way way over ask with a dozen people walking it today by 5. Im thinking this pops 240. they doubled in 4 years. and they are moving back to the woods to a cottage. (both retired, kids and bills paid off)

$10 bets the winning bid is from allegheny, likely monroeville/penn hills area

Last edited by RetireinPA; 06-21-2022 at 11:52 AM..

Old 06-21-2022, 12:11 PM

1,170 posts, read 537,864 times
stopped by whole foods in shadyside to say hi to a friend who works there

two observations

- since the lockdowns the parking lot is never full during the day the way it used to be - i'd wager a third to half of their business is now amazon prime delivery, and that will continue with the new store

- my friend said the new store has been tagged twice, not once like we've been told

Old 06-21-2022, 12:29 PM

10,915 posts, read 4,573,047 times
Quote:
stopped by whole foods in shadyside to say hi to a friend who works there

two observations

- since the lockdowns the parking lot is never full during the day the way it used to be - i'd wager a third to half of their business is now amazon prime delivery, and that will continue with the new store

- my friend said the new store has been tagged twice, not once like we've been told

tagged ? graffiti paint?

Old 06-21-2022, 12:55 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,706,847 times
Quote:

Graffiti is the lowest of the low. I wish laws would severely punish these morons with jail time. They've destroyed a lot of the Strip District. Completely disrespectful, egregious selfishness.

I long for the days of Mook, when the city actually cared about preventing this now-accepted form of vandalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh