Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 09:03 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,461,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghophilia View Post
What is going on with Garfield these days? Years ago, I was (obliquely) aware that some gentrification was pushing north of Penn into Garfield proper, but I haven't heard any updates lately. Yesterday, I was just riding down Penn between East Liberty and Lawrenceville, and while I'm on that stretch several times a year, the extent of the changes between, say, 2009 (when there were, already, a few new business/rehabs) and today, felt pretty striking.
Those in the loop have been watching Garfield quietly ride the coat tails of lawrenceville for over a decade. I remember when the first listing came up over 300k and a lot of people were in disbelief. Then 400k came and 500k and now 550k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 09:07 AM

468 posts, read 124,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
Those in the loop have been watching Garfield quietly ride the coat tails of lawrenceville for over a decade. I remember when the first listing came up over 300k and a lot of people were in disbelief. Then 400k came and 500k and now 550k.
Wow! We were very close to buying a half a double in the 200 block of Gross Street in 2010 (I think for 135k). I guess we were just too used to living in Dormont, and we ended up giving up our "dream" of moving into the city. Very happy to have made a home here in Dormont, but miss the property appreciation we would have experienced with this home, or another we almost bought in the 300 block of Main St.

Old 06-12-2022, 03:08 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,894,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Flippers should be sent to prison for abuse of grey paint, abuse of cheap Home Depot vinyl flooring, gutting historical architecture of old homes, and just overall thinking that their poor, cheap taste justifies a 400% profit.
Bought with cash by a slumlord Corp to be chopped up for rentals.

Old 06-12-2022, 03:11 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Bought with cash by a slumlord Corp to be chopped up for rentals.
Make the area more desirable to attract more folks to buy the homes to live in.

Old 06-12-2022, 04:27 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,687,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano View Post
Prior to the China Virus, Garfield was listed as one of the areas of Pittsburgh that was being gentrified. By the way, Pittsburgh was the eighth most gentrified city in the U.S, at that time. I was expecting Garfield to become the next Lawrenceville, but I haven't kept enough to know if the hipsters invaded Garfield.
What’s the China virus?

Old 06-15-2022, 04:54 AM

1,170 posts, read 537,077 times
more gentrification and luxury apartments

Shadyside Giant Eagle to close in July to make way for new grocery, apartments

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202206150052

"The Shakespeare Street Giant Eagle in Shadyside will close July 23, signaling the start of a long-sought redevelopment that includes a new grocery and apartment complex at the site.

In a statement, Giant Eagle confirmed the store will close at 6 p.m. that Saturday, adding that the company is taking “numerous steps to provide care” for shoppers while a new supermarket is being built."

Old 06-15-2022, 06:07 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,461,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
more gentrification and luxury apartments

Shadyside Giant Eagle to close in July to make way for new grocery, apartments

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202206150052

"The Shakespeare Street Giant Eagle in Shadyside will close July 23, signaling the start of a long-sought redevelopment that includes a new grocery and apartment complex at the site.

In a statement, Giant Eagle confirmed the store will close at 6 p.m. that Saturday, adding that the company is taking “numerous steps to provide care” for shoppers while a new supermarket is being built."
this has been in the works for literal years and the plaza is in need of an overhaul. Its not taking away from the area by closing down, there are 3 other full service grocery stores within a 10 min walk from that location.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:22 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
this has been in the works for literal years and the plaza is in need of an overhaul. Its not taking away from the area by closing down, there are 3 other full service grocery stores within a 10 min walk from that location.
The NIMBYs in the Village of Shadyside were really, really obnoxious trying to block this development as well, making stupid arguments about their "homes being in shadow" and it "not being in character with the neighborhood." As if an ugly mid-20th century strip mall is appropriately placed next to a major transit center.

It's not gentrification if apartments are being constructed without displacing anyone. Indeed, it cuts down on gentrification, as new market-rate units lower prices for dated units. Not to mention this is in Shadyside anyway.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:57 AM

1,913 posts, read 740,517 times
We're seeing rents rising and home values falling. Interesting times.

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...ling-the-most/

Old 06-15-2022, 07:10 AM

468 posts, read 124,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
We're seeing rents rising and home values falling. Interesting times.

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...ling-the-most/
That's a bit of a goofy datapoint for Pittsburgh -- seems to be based on "metropolitan areawide" -- would love to see a neighborhood/municipality breakdown. I've seen the national reporting on the slowing of the housing market, but at least on the ground level in Dormont, we haven't observed it. For example, a house listed at 290k recently (like in the last 3 weeks) sold in two days, with 7 offers, and for a price 35k over asking. No doubt rising interest rates will have an effect, but just find this data less than illuminating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh