Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2022, 06:15 AM

987 posts, read 279,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
i like the idea - that village of eastside is awful

there's only one problem - the stock market is going crash like it's 1929 and plunge the country into a new great depression

LOL, sell all your mutual funds, stock up on gold bars and bags of pasta, get in your bunker and hunker down for the next 20 years!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 07:14 AM

1,170 posts, read 535,763 times
new development off to a good start

Man caught on camera vandalizing new development in East Liberty

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/man-...PLSWMIQJPHSFU/

"The video shows him dressed in all black. His hood is up over his head and a mask is covering most of his face. He’s then seen pulling out a can of paint and spraying a wave along one side of the building. He also used his fist to shatter a window. On the other side along Penn Avenue, he wrote: “The ghost of Penn Plaza says *expletive Bezos,” referencing Whole Foods, which is now owned by Amazon."

Old 06-18-2022, 05:39 AM

437 posts, read 187,385 times
Quote:
new development off to a good start

Man caught on camera vandalizing new development in East Liberty

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/man-...PLSWMIQJPHSFU/

"The video shows him dressed in all black. His hood is up over his head and a mask is covering most of his face. He’s then seen pulling out a can of paint and spraying a wave along one side of the building. He also used his fist to shatter a window. On the other side along Penn Avenue, he wrote: “The ghost of Penn Plaza says *expletive Bezos,” referencing Whole Foods, which is now owned by Amazon."

Makes me think that individual is a hipster who is angry about gentrification. The same gentrification that is usually done by hipsters, who simultaneously complain about evils of such an event. Funny thing is, if he walked into a Whole Foods, he could have a conversation about how bad gentrification with the other masked shoppers.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano View Post
Makes me think that individual is a hipster who is angry about gentrification. The same gentrification that is usually done by hipsters, who simultaneously complain about evils of such an event. Funny thing is, if he walked into a Whole Foods, he could have a conversation about how bad gentrification with the other masked shoppers.
more than likely, since the demolished buildings were home for many years to low-income, elderly people who were given 90-day eviction notices and eventually forced to leave, the individual is a younger relative who was attempting to enact some sort of revenge

Old 06-20-2022, 11:48 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,956,710 times
Quote:
more than likely, since the demolished buildings were home for many years to low-income, elderly people who were given 90-day eviction notices and eventually forced to leave, the individual is a younger relative who was attempting to enact some sort of revenge
I doubt that scenario. The extremely poor lived there and most were elderly and or handicapped. Poor people are busy being poor. The former residents were scattered outside of the city. In addition the displacement was years ago. This has hipster written all over it.

Old 06-20-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I doubt that scenario. The extremely poor lived there and most were elderly and or handicapped. Poor people are busy being poor. The former residents were scattered outside of the city. In addition the displacement was years ago. This has hipster written all over it.
either way it's not surprising - that building is a crime on multiple levels

Old 06-20-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
either way it's not surprising - that building is a crime on multiple levels
It’s not a crime and the new Whole Foods will do good for the neighborhood. I expect that area to thrive going forward.

Old 06-20-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
It’s not a crime and the new Whole Foods will do good for the neighborhood. I expect that area to thrive going forward.
let's make a bet - i'll bet you that in one year this space across the street will still be vacant

https://goo.gl/maps/NLKiBw8F1LfKe1LQ8

Old 06-20-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
let's make a bet - i'll bet you that in one year this space across the street will still be vacant

https://goo.gl/maps/NLKiBw8F1LfKe1LQ8
I’m not a gambler. That retail space sits beneath subsidized apartments. I would expect a daycare or social services agency to utilize that space eventually. Whole Foods will bring a lot of people to that area which was dark and “scary” at night. It was a dead space within the neighborhood. East Liberty will continue to improve.

Old 06-20-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I’m not a gambler. That retail space sits beneath subsidized apartments. I would expect a daycare or social services agency to utilize that space eventually. Whole Foods will bring a lot of people to that area which was dark and “scary” at night. It was a dead space within the neighborhood. East Liberty will continue to improve.
i am, and that retail space will be vacant one year from now

my forecast would be different if the building was designed like the target with an inviting corner entrance that activates the intersection, but that's not how they played it

the whole setup of a grocery store on a main street next to a coffee shop and a bank and a liquor store and pharmacy, etc. does not exist there like it does on centre now

most of the whole foods traffic will be people driving their cars into the parking garage and leaving by 7pm to get home for dinner

that particular part of east liberty is dead now and will be dead a year from now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh