Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2022, 02:31 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,961,359 times

Advertisements

It appears that construction started on the new apartments adjacent to PNC Park. The drilling and grading is in full swing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 10:15 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,961,359 times
https://triblive.com/business/pittsb...o-expect-next/

Pittsburgh's building boom is in full swing and Oakland is the epicenter.

Old 08-08-2022, 12:08 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
It's amazing how a bunch of wealthy homeowner Boomers can derail entire direly-need residential projects all over this city for being "too dense" or "affecting views". Money talks, apparently.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:31 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
This is a cool site if you want information on a building. It might have been posted before, but I didn't see it. You just click on the property and it gives you some information on it.

https://tools.wprdc.org/property-dashboard/

Old 08-11-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
This is a cool site if you want information on a building. It might have been posted before, but I didn't see it. You just click on the property and it gives you some information on it.

https://tools.wprdc.org/property-dashboard/
Thanks for posting this. It makes viewing multiple properties in an area much easier. From my frequent litter-picking routes I can readily see that the majority of the problem residential properties that have rapid litter accumulation are owned by "corporations" domiciled at different addresses (i.e. absentee slumlords operating properties that are occupied by Section 8 renters). It amazes me how few people will pick up litter that is on their own front lawns or front sidewalks.

Old 08-11-2022, 08:40 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,700,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Thanks for posting this. It makes viewing multiple properties in an area much easier. From my frequent litter-picking routes I can readily see that the majority of the problem residential properties that have rapid litter accumulation are owned by "corporations" domiciled at different addresses (i.e. absentee slumlords operating properties that are occupied by Section 8 renters). It amazes me how few people will pick up litter that is on their own front lawns or front sidewalks.
Amen to that. Dumpsters outside businesses are another huge problem. Garbage all around them, everywhere but inside. The alley between Penn Ave and Liberty in the Strip is awful. One certain Penn Ave Fish Company restaurant being pretty bad. Smelly boxes strewn everywhere behind their restaurant. If their customers could only see this they'd go somewhere else.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:31 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Glad I posted something useful for someone. I thought the site was pretty cool.

Litter has always been a huge issue around minority areas. No consideration for anything but themselves and there is no way to fix it. Nice to hear you try and keep it clean. You are a good person. Wish you were living in a little better area though. You could rent your place, be a good landlord and buy elsewhere. Maybe up in Troy Hill or something?? Do you still have to live in the city?

Old 08-11-2022, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Glad I posted something useful for someone. I thought the site was pretty cool.

Litter has always been a huge issue around minority areas. No consideration for anything but themselves and there is no way to fix it. Nice to hear you try and keep it clean. You are a good person. Wish you were living in a little better area though. You could rent your place, be a good landlord and buy elsewhere. Maybe up in Troy Hill or something?? Do you still have to live in the city?
Eh. Litter has always been a huge issue in impoverished areas. I feel like litter is also bad in Carrick, and I believe Carrick is majority-White.

I am not relocating. We will just continue to work to try to make the neighborhood better. The location is too prime for it to rot and decay forever.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:16 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,700,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
That’s why the youngest Xers, millennials, and z generation need to ban together and move things forward. The boomers already lived most of their life. Reaped the benefits and wealth put in place by the greatest and silent generations. Giving little in return. But they put a stranglehold on things because they think they are entitled forever.

And this isn’t everybody( ie copanut) but it is a vast majority of boomers with this mindset. Entitled and will crap on everybody else. Everybody under age 50 is getting slapped down by the boomers. Time to stand up
LOL to this. Oh the angry youngster, liberal in their ways, seeking a lifetime of entitlement and endless apologies. Wow.

Old 08-11-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
That’s why the youngest Xers, millennials, and z generation need to ban together and move things forward. The boomers already lived most of their life. Reaped the benefits and wealth put in place by the greatest and silent generations. Giving little in return. But they put a stranglehold on things because they think they are entitled forever.

And this isn’t everybody( ie copanut) but it is a vast majority of boomers with this mindset. Entitled and will crap on everybody else. Everybody under age 50 is getting slapped down by the boomers. Time to stand up
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
LOL to this. Oh the angry youngster, liberal in their ways, seeking a lifetime of entitlement and endless apologies. Wow.
I'm only ageist when it comes to NIMBYism. I hate it when old homeowners who have owned their properties for many years and who have had many years to acquire and hoard wealth think that they can "dictate" who can or can't live around them or what nearby properties owners can or can't do with their properties (within reason). This nation has a housing shortage at the moment, and that has been well-documented. We are millions short nationally on housing units. Developers want to ameliorate that by bringing new condos and apartments to the market, yet "I got mine, so s-crew you" NIMBY older homeowners are saying "no" everywhere because they are worried about trivial related issues.

I would be elated if a developer wanted to plop a new residential high-rise with a mix of market-rate and affordably-priced units here in the middle of Marshall-Shadeland. The neighborhood would become denser, which would create more pedestrian activity (potential witnesses), which should, in turn, cut down on the teenagers shooting at each other all the time. These new people will also patronize existing neighborhood businesses and will encourage new ones to open, which will, in turn, boost my property value. The yuppies moving into this new building would bolster the city's wage tax revenue receipts, which would, in turn, permit the city to make more infrastructure investments and quality-of-life improvements.

I was very disappointed that Mayor Gainey sided with the NIMBY's in forcing Walnut Capital to scale back their project in Oakland as being "too dense". Seems like the mayor himself is "too dense" if he doesn't realize that inhibiting new housing starts will only further exacerbate the housing shortage that he supposedly is aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh