Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 08:28 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,602,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
My North Side home is now worth nearly double what we paid for it two years ago. If that is a sign of the city "failing", then so be it.

Now we need someone younger to complain that there are no affordable houses left in the city. Complete the cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 09:04 PM

12,527 posts, read 17,560,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
My North Side home is now worth nearly double what we paid for it two years ago. If that is a sign of the city "failing", then so be it.
You're one of those lousy, stinkin' Flippers!

Old 06-09-2022, 09:07 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,236,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post

They’re so nice that they said when the time comes to move they would sell their house to a first time homebuyer like themselves for the price they paid when they bought it. That’s very commendable.

Old 06-10-2022, 07:18 AM

1,170 posts, read 537,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I don't understand your desire to spin everything into a story of WHY PITTSBURGH IS FAILING!!!?!?!?!?
i've lived in the east end for almost my entire life except college and a few years in NYC - i'm not here to be a cheerleader - this city, like many others, is being ruined by income inequality which is caused by the fed favoring wall street and burying main street

overpriced apartments downtown and watching walnut street being turned into a fancy shopping mall where william penn tavern has to move so henne jeweler can expand - not a fan

Last edited by BUILD PENN SQUARE; 06-10-2022 at 07:38 AM..

Old 06-10-2022, 07:27 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,704,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post

Flippers should be sent to prison for abuse of grey paint, abuse of cheap Home Depot vinyl flooring, gutting historical architecture of old homes, and just overall thinking that their poor, cheap taste justifies a 400% profit.

Old 06-10-2022, 07:40 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,049,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
i've lived in the east end for almost my entire life except college and a few years in NYC - i'm not here to be a cheerleader - this city, like many others, is being ruined by income inequality which is caused by the fed favoring wall street and burying main street

overpriced apartments downtown and watching walnut street being turned into a fancy shopping mall where william penn tavern has to move so henne jeweler can expand - not a fan
I'm also someone who is concerned about income inequality, but it's not something which can be solved by municipal governments, who at most can basically just shuttle the poor people around. In aggregate though the changes to Pittsburgh have been better for the city - certainly financially - in that it's less and less an area of concentrated poverty and more a pretty representative selection of a mix of rich and poor areas similar to Allegheny County as a whole.

As to your alienation about the changes to Shadyside, look, I get it. I'm not an old timer, but I remember moving to Lawrenceville in 2007 and then leaving the neighborhood largely in disgust in 2014 because most of what I liked about living there had already gone away. I also had an older coworker who lived in Shadyside and lamented how Walnut Street systematically lost its local businesses and became nothing but chain stores. But the only thing that's constant in life is change. Neighborhoods always evolve over time, and it's fruitless to expect a neighborhood to remain constant for decades.

Old 06-10-2022, 07:47 AM

this is good

Project to better connect Pittsburgh's Larimer neighborhood to Bakery Square

https://triblive.com/local/project-t...bakery-square/

"Local leaders announced the start of construction of a multi-modal corridor that will better connect the Pittsburgh’s neighborhoods of Larimer and Homewood with the Bakery Square development and shopping district.

The $4.5 million project, called the Larimer-Homewood Connector, will include a tree-lined road complete with a pedestrian walk, bike lanes, and rain gardens.

Eventually, the project will include a pedestrian bridge that will connect Bakery Square to Hamilton Street in Larimer, near the intersection of Putnam Street."

Old 06-10-2022, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Neighborhoods always evolve over time, and it's fruitless to expect a neighborhood to remain constant for decades.
with that kind of thinking this song would not exist - gotta express yourself

My City Was Gone / The Pretenders

I went back to Ohio
But my city was gone
There was no train station
There was no downtown

South Howard had disappeared
All my favorite places
My city had been pulled down
Reduced to parking spaces
Ay, oh, way to go, Ohio

Well, I went back to Ohio
But my family was gone
I stood on the back porch
There was nobody home
I was stunned and amazed

My childhood memories
Slowly swirled past
Like the wind through the trees
Ay, oh, way to go, Ohio

I went back to Ohio
But my pretty countryside
Had been paved down the middle
By a government that had no pride

The farms of Ohio
Had been replaced by shopping malls
And Muzak filled the air
From Seneca to Cuyahoga Falls
Said, ay, oh, way to go, Ohio

Old 06-10-2022, 07:53 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,602,992 times
The fed isn't helping, but I don't think many people remember how taxes were back before Reagan. The upper middle class didn't bid up housing prices past the reach of the regular earners because marginal income tax rates were over 50% and capital gains taxes were much higher. We are living with the results of policy choices made over the past forty years.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:00 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,049,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
The fed isn't helping, but I don't think many people remember how taxes were back before Reagan. The upper middle class didn't bid up housing prices past the reach of the regular earners because marginal income tax rates were over 50% and capital gains taxes were much higher. We are living with the results of policy choices made over the past forty years.
Sometimes I wonder how different America would be if we treated housing like a rapidly depreciating asset similar to the Japanese. Houses in Japan essentially lose all value after 20 years and are replaced.

Certainly there would be less historic preservation, and a lot of construction waste, but on the other hand housing would be much more affordable, because NIMBYism doesn't really exist and there are no housing supply issues to speak of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh