Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2022, 08:41 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,714,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
this is a lot to talk about here...

first, i havent really frequented E Ohio St. in years, except for the Deutschtown thing....i thought the security cameras installed there (maybe 10 years ago?) just about eradicated crime there.

are those cameras still there?

what is going on on East Ohio Street - just drugs, or assaults, etc.? (open question to anyone...)

i am not sure it is a given that the problem is solely from Allegheny Center people, wpipkins...there are some real scary dudes from Northview Heights and California-Kirkbride who get around and are not scared of trouble.

im getting old - i just look away anymore and hope i dont hear a scream of distress, then have to help a woman in trouble or be a witness or something......
Nice summary pipkins. Used to love Stedeford's record shop. I didn't think that place would ever close, but it's been like 5+ years since it did. The updated fountain in the park is nice as is the vegan fest every year.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:09 AM

32,623 posts, read 77,712,896 times
“I’ve never seen so many young kids and older adults with so many guns in their possession,” Mayor Ed Gainey said. “At the end of the day, that’s the age old question: Where are these guns coming from?”

^ Nice to see the mayor is still blaming guns instead of the people utilizing the guns.

Source: https://www.post-gazette.com/news/cr...s/202210180087

Old 10-19-2022, 09:16 AM

4,179 posts, read 2,969,788 times
Quote:
this is a lot to talk about here...

first, i havent really frequented E Ohio St. in years, except for the Deutschtown thing....i thought the security cameras installed there (maybe 10 years ago?) just about eradicated crime there.

are those cameras still there?

what is going on on East Ohio Street - just drugs, or assaults, etc.? (open question to anyone...)

i am not sure it is a given that the problem is solely from Allegheny Center people, wpipkins...there are some real scary dudes from Northview Heights and California-Kirkbride who get around and are not scared of trouble.

im getting old - i just look away anymore and hope i dont hear a scream of distress, then have to help a woman in trouble or be a witness or something......
East Ohio Street is a joy during the day. The bakery and bistro was my go to spot. There are several boutique shops that I frequent and one is exclusively for men (Annex). There are several restaurants that opened recently as well.

Once late evening arrives it takes on a different look. A few years ago I picked my daughter up from a friends house in the Mexican War Streets. It was approximately 11pm. I turned onto East Ohio on my way to Rt 28 and it was truly The Night of the Living Dead. It was zombies of all creeds roaming about. I was shocked!!!

There is crime all over the city. I am just giving insight into the recent shootings in and around downtown. Mainly the areas adjacent to Allegheny Center and the new "spot" along Ft Duquesne Blvd. The drugs are pushed in the park and downtown and the Commons Complex is easy to escape to when the "heat" is on. That complex is a maze and you can get lost there.

The surrounding community is fed up and rightly so. The complex is subsidized and private meaning there are no housing authority patrols. I am not sure if there is a security service provided for the tenants. I no longer send my frontline staff there.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Since it’s supposedly no mystery, why isn’t Big Ed, the community leaders, folks in the area, etc…, crying that something needs done, doing anything about it? Are you reporting it to the powers that be?

Been a long time since Lincoln made a truck
It is no mystery that Trump is a fraud and criminal but.......The obvious can be overlooked

Old 10-19-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
They will never get away from crime on the northside until the park and housing project are gone
The park is a community asset not to mention it covers a large area. Lots of investment and energy put into refurbishing the park. There is one corner maybe 10% of the park that is the problem. This park was one of the first urban parks in the US. You cannot surrender the park to a few teenage and young adult sh!+ heads.

It is not a housing project. It is a private subsidized apartment complex. A nuisance property.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
and in my mind, i quietly and frustratingly circle back to my better, more compassionate self to ask "why is this so? why do people have to be so violent when there are ways to enjoy life, even if you are struggling financially?"

public housing is FREE - you dont have to pay for that. wish someone would pay my rent for a few months....
Its not free. You pay based on you income which is most likely low income.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I know but i worked for years in public housing and not paying for their place doesn't give them any pride in their place. I live in the suburbs because I want a quiet life without any drama. The park gives an easy out, the people come and buy their drugs or steal something then take off into the park to disappear. If you think i am incorrect just go and park on cedar for 30 minutes and watch.
This is not true. East Liberty, The Hill, and Oakland have very nice subsidized communities that are well maintained and respected by the tenants. This is not 1983. The worse projects are used to house the undesirables. Whiteside Rd and Northview Heights comes to mind.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
The park is a community asset not to mention it covers a large area. Lots of investment and energy put into refurbishing the park. There is one corner maybe 10% of the park that is the problem. This park was one of the first urban parks in the US. You cannot surrender the park to a few teenage and young adult sh!+ heads.

It is not a housing project. It is a private subsidized apartment complex. A nuisance property.
Are you talking about 255 E. Ohio St.? There has been a lot of proactive drug-busting going on there recently by the Pittsburgh Police. Hopefully it will bring about some positive changes there.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Nice summary pipkins. Used to love Stedeford's record shop. I didn't think that place would ever close, but it's been like 5+ years since it did. The updated fountain in the park is nice as is the vegan fest every year.
The weekly farmers market!!

Old 10-19-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
There is a new combination record & coffee shop just around the corner from East Ohio Street on East Street.

https://www.thegovernmentcenter.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh