Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2020, 05:41 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
RIP maybe the last great one - John McCain.
Not a fan of war mongers. Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 05:43 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post

RIP maybe the last great one - John McCain (cue the boo birds for something he said or done like 40 years ago), who I believe, and I am not a die hard politico, was a good politician. fair, not batsh* insane like most americans are anymore, got his point across, and was willing to move forward if it meant give credit to the dems.
I was a big fan of his. Would have loved to see him in the White House, not with Palin, that was a major mistake.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:04 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times

Old 04-23-2020, 08:05 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Corona beer? Where’s the virus part?

Old 04-23-2020, 08:41 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,058,732 times
...and she's buying a stairway to heaven.....

...paul's dead....

Old 04-23-2020, 10:59 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,161,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I was a big fan of his. Would have loved to see him in the White House, not with Palin, that was a major mistake.
As a Democrat (or better said, someone who has tended to vote Democrat lately), I agree with this. In general, politicians (including our local Allegheny County and Pittsburgh politicians) do a lot of what they complain "the other side" does. This is true of D / R, local / state / national, etc. It is so tiresome. Having someone willing to hear someone else's argument and actually contemplating it before responding is sorely missed.

The COVID situation is clearly exaggerating this in some ways. Some from one side say "keep things locked down at all costs" some from the other side say "let it rip, we can't afford the economic impact of being closed". The true correct path is somewhere in the middle, and very complex and nuanced. For example, it may make sense to let pizza joints in Greene county open for sit down business but not allow elective surgeries or construction in Philly. (in this example, Greene county is far past already allowing outdoor construction).

We are all fighting because we are frustrated and face our own unique challenges. Someone like McCain (maybe my idealized version of him, don't know) would be welcome right now to help us find a middle ground. The same can be said on the local level. I feel like our country, as a whole, needs a rockstar marriage counselor.

Last edited by WhoIsStanwix?; 04-23-2020 at 11:22 PM..

Old 04-23-2020, 11:35 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,132,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
As a Democrat (or better said, someone who has tended to vote Democrat lately), I agree with this. In general, politicians (including our local Allegheny County and Pittsburgh politicians) do a lot of what they complain "the other side" does. This is true of D / R, local / state / national, etc. It is so tiresome. Having someone willing to hear someone else's argument and actually contemplating it before responding is sorely missed.

The COVID situation is clearly exaggerating this in some ways. Some from one side say "keep things locked down at all costs" some from the other side say "let it rip, we can't afford the economic impact of being closed". The true correct path is somewhere in the middle, and very complex and nuanced. For example, it may make sense to let pizza joints in Greene county open for sit down business but not allow elective surgeries or construction in Philly. (in this example, Greene county is far past already allowing outdoor construction).

We are all fighting because we are frustrated and face our own unique challenges. Someone like McCain (maybe my idealized version of him, don't know) would be welcome right now to help us find a middle ground. The same can be said on the local level. I feel like our country, as a whole, needs a rockstar marriage counselor.
I said it before, if this pandemic does nothing else it will motivate people to vote. Rarely do you feel like a politicians actions really effect your life but the acts and policies enforced during all of this will directly effect everyone. I know most years there is not a presidential election I am less likely to make a point of voting but I will be sure going forward.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:45 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,687,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post

You are right. There are 26 million people that filed for unemployment. The recovery rate for those that tested positive is 98.5%. It is likely much higher than that closer to 99.9% with those that were never tested, had mild or no symptoms and now carry antibodies. You are right this whole thing needs some middle ground. What is good for NY City, Philly and most of the northeast is just not good for the rest of the country. California has managed brilliantly, wash state,Detroit, New Orleans that were hot beds have leveled off.

They need to start to open things up. Granted maybe Philly and New York justifies restrictions. Pittsburgh doesn’t, most of the states south and west of Pittsburgh don’t either. I understand why Georgia, Florida and Texas Governors want time reopen. They are under New York restrictions and do not have a New York problem.

I think the northeast is the hotbed mess for this virus. Everything outside of it has either peaked or there aren’t the cases to warrant total lockdown.

Old 04-24-2020, 05:02 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,058,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I predict Sweden will spike faster and decline faster and move on with life faster. Not saying it is good or bad, but I have to respect them doing their own thing. Looks like we will learn something from how they are handling things because we can directly compare them to their neighbors.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ountry/sweden/

As of 4-21, the most recent day of data at this link, seems like SOMETHING can be learned, but I'm not sure what exactly.

Old 04-24-2020, 06:43 AM

755 posts, read 473,017 times
Here is the best explanation I've seen lately of where we are in our understanding of this disease for non-scientisit like me (answering questions like what exactly do we need to achieve herd immunity and why do some infected people have an outsized response while others with mild symptoms may end up not having immunity to reinfection?):

https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...dies-explained
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh