Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Least favorite Phoenix suburb?
Surprise 4 3.67%
Peoria 2 1.83%
Glendale 12 11.01%
Litchfield 0 0%
Avondale 2 1.83%
Buckeye 3 2.75%
Tolleson 11 10.09%
Goodyear 1 0.92%
Cave Creek 2 1.83%
Carefree 1 0.92%
Paradise Valley 2 1.83%
Scottsdale 10 9.17%
Tempe 2 1.83%
Fountain Hills 0 0%
Mesa 16 14.68%
Chandler 2 1.83%
Gilbert 13 11.93%
Apache Junction 10 9.17%
Guadalupe 12 11.01%
Queen Creek 4 3.67%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 01:31 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I don't really have an opinion of Scottsdale either way, though I don't think it is the be-all-end-all of places to live. There are some great restaurants there, I will give them that!
Scottsdale does have some great restaurants. One of my favorite restaurants in Scottsdale is called SOL, it's a Baja Californian Mexican restaurant that's in the Scottsdale Quarter, and it had the best cheese quesadilla my tongue has ever acquainted with. I would kill to have that quesadilla again. I miss it sometimes.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:33 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
So to not let this thread turn into a rant about snobbiness in Scottsdale...

To those who voted for the other West Valley suburbs, what was your reasoning to pick the WV suburb you voted for over Litchfield? In my humble opinion the newer West Valley suburbs are all pretty similar. I'm just trying to reason why Avondale has racked up votes but not Litchfield. Honestly if I wasn't a native I wouldn't know the difference between those two just driving around, I'd probably assume they were the same city.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:02 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,921 times
Avondale has some very rough spots. I'm not sure Litchfield has any bad parts.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:35 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
So to not let this thread turn into a rant about snobbiness in Scottsdale...

To those who voted for the other West Valley suburbs, what was your reasoning to pick the WV suburb you voted for over Litchfield? In my humble opinion the newer West Valley suburbs are all pretty similar. I'm just trying to reason why Avondale has racked up votes but not Litchfield. Honestly if I wasn't a native I wouldn't know the difference between those two just driving around, I'd probably assume they were the same city.
Litchfield Park is like the second highest household income in the metro after PV, I think. It's sort of the WV "Scottsdale" (the real LP inside the walls, especially). Goodyear, too, is quite affluent - about the same as Chandler or Gilbert and is almost entirely a new city. I don't know Surprise too well, though I think of it as a working person's Goodyear. Avondale is a transition place from the Laveen area of Phoenix to Goodyear and Litchfield. It is quite nice on the north side of I10 and there are nice places on the south side too, but it is not uniformly so. There is an older part just east of Litchfield that while not Guadalupe or the south side is pretty rundown.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:51 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
Litchfield Park is tiny and pretty unique. Very different than Avondale. There is a small community and condo complex just west of the main city that is Litchfield and is newer in style, but most of the city is blocked in by a wall, with housing stock similar to central Phoenix, at the heart you have the wigwam resort, the school and a row of restaurants and there are parks everywhere.

There is a lot of unincorporated Maricopa county that carries a Litchfield address, but isn't actually Litchfield Park.

Again, this thread just leaves a whole bunch of head shaking

Old 04-13-2016, 10:34 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I feel like half of you guys go to scottsdale for the soul purpose of trying to find snobby people.
Exactly. In turn, I think said people are snottier than the folks they claim to find in Scottsdale.

I wouldnt roll into a biker bar in Two Guns, AZ wearing a Lacoste polo with deck shoes and not expect dirty looks, then go around complaining that Two Guns is a judgemental town.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:56 PM

197 posts, read 453,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
It exists.

My wife works in Scottsdale. We have friends that live in Scottsdale. We both find ourselves in Scottsdale with a good degree of regularity, whether that be to eat out, shop, or just stop at a gas station while passing through. We are both pleasant, friendly people who will never be ones to start any issue with anyone, but we see the snobbiness all the time.

I will easily blend in and feel comfortable with Fortune 500 executives and professional dishwashers alike. On my free time, I'm usually in jeans or shorts and a t-shirt, maybe a ball cap, and full sleeve tattoos quite visible...nothing ridiculous, but I definitely don't look very well-to-do at all. But when I am heading to a work function and am dressed in a button-down shirt, slacks, and maybe even a tie, the way I'm treated and looked at is a night and day difference. That will happen anywhere to a certain extent, but I see it way more in Scottsdale than anywhere else in the Valley.

Now...whether some snob wants to give me a dirty look or not has zero effect on how I go about my day. The most I'll do is just snicker or shake my head and move on, so I'm definitely not walking around causing problems are carrying myself like someone with a chip on my shoulder. And to be clear...I've met many awesome, good people who live in Scottsdale. But there is definitely a sizeable chunk of the population there that will treat you differently if they don't think you're up to their "standards". Scottsdale didn't get it's reputation for no reason.
Are you Brandon Lee from 3TV? Lol hes the first person I thought of when I read your description.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:14 PM

I'd be the first to call out snobbishness. People with superiority complexes are the douchiest of the douches. That being said I haven't had that kind of experience too much in Scottsdale for work or for pleasure. I even have done jobs in homes With sinks and toilets made of gold there. Homeowners were nice people. Even gave a tour of the home when they saw my eyes light up at the extravagance of the place. If you want to meet some real snobs, try Rancho Santa Fe in San Diego, CA. I'm not saying snobs don't exist in Scottsdale but, I think it is a way out of proportion stereotype. The most Scottsdale residents earn 30-150k a year. I have been fortunate that the very wealthy elites in town I have met have all been really cool people. I'm sure their are jerks there but, those exist everywhere.

I wear what I find most comfortable in my free time generally. This usually consist of a T-shirt or Tank top, flip-flops and jean shorts (sometimes cheap gym shorts, so comfy). I've been told that flip flops are like out of style here. That was in Tempe, by the way. I could care less. It's nice to not have soaking wet feet every now and then in this sauna we live in. They are always fashionable in casual places in San Diego, which is a much higher income area overall than the valley.

I'd live in Scottsdale and do just fine. South Scottsdale and the Chaparel area (my personal favorite area of Scottsdale) are much more my pace. I feel Scottsdale is being very unfairly called out. It has been an unusually laid back part of the valley actually, in my experience.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:23 PM

In contrast to my Scottsdale post, the area where I've experienced the most issues with elitist attitude has been Gilbert. I still feel it's unfair to even call Gilbert snobby. Laid back is not something I'd refer to the valley overall as but, at the same time snobby doesn't apply much either. You guys should really look into the class divide in California if you want to see real snobs and judgmental people. My issues in Gilbert, if you would even call them issues, has more to do with different lifestyles. There are many tight-knit and religious family communities there. While I'm very polite, I'm also in my late 20's, single, blue collar, not religious, smoke cigarettes and like to drink beer. It's a simple culture clash. Also, I know quite a few cool people down there as well.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:19 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasi_crystals View Post
Are you Brandon Lee from 3TV? Lol hes the first person I thought of when I read your description.
Except that he said WIFE.

Last edited by DetroitN8V; 04-13-2016 at 07:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area