Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Least favorite Phoenix suburb?
Surprise 4 3.67%
Peoria 2 1.83%
Glendale 12 11.01%
Litchfield 0 0%
Avondale 2 1.83%
Buckeye 3 2.75%
Tolleson 11 10.09%
Goodyear 1 0.92%
Cave Creek 2 1.83%
Carefree 1 0.92%
Paradise Valley 2 1.83%
Scottsdale 10 9.17%
Tempe 2 1.83%
Fountain Hills 0 0%
Mesa 16 14.68%
Chandler 2 1.83%
Gilbert 13 11.93%
Apache Junction 10 9.17%
Guadalupe 12 11.01%
Queen Creek 4 3.67%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 05:42 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,474,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
To those who voted for Mesa: why? To be completely frank I don't see how Mesa could be worse than say... Glendale
I think that when people say the word Mesa, the first thing that comes to mind is boring. I almost feel as if Mesa is the midwest of the Valley. I used to play club basketball, we had to play against teams from all over the valley, including Mesa. Mesa was without a doubt the most boring suburb that we had to travel too. That being said, they have a cool performing arts center and the area around the center is pretty cool too. I also think the mormon reputation that Mesa has is also another quality that brings its reputation down(people tend to associate mormonism with bigotry and small town thinking). I went to a high school in Phoenix, and I remember the students in my class who lived in Mesa would get made fun of(all in good fun) by their friends from all over the Valley because they lived in mesa. It's not just Phoenix metro that associates mesa with negative views, but it's noticeable in Southern California also. I have a lot of friends from Southern California who have family back in Phoenix and they too make fun of Mesa(this really shocked me that they knew what it was). I've noticed the negative view toward mesa in conversation, even with my friends in LA, has been escalated given the Mesa shooting(that killed 6 people) and the resent (beyond disgusting) child abuse case.

Granted, I didn't vote for Mesa because although it might be boring, it is far from being the worst suburb of Phoenix.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:12 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,719,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I think that when people say the word Mesa, the first thing that comes to mind is boring. I almost feel as if Mesa is the midwest of the Valley. I used to play club basketball, we had to play against teams from all over the valley, including Mesa. Mesa was without a doubt the most boring suburb that we had to travel too. That being said, they have a cool performing arts center and the area around the center is pretty cool too. I also think the mormon reputation that Mesa has is also another quality that brings its reputation down(people tend to associate mormonism with bigotry and small town thinking). I went to a high school in Phoenix, and I remember the students in my class who lived in Mesa would get made fun of(all in good fun) by their friends from all over the Valley because they lived in mesa. It's not just Phoenix metro that associates mesa with negative views, but it's noticeable in Southern California also. I have a lot of friends from Southern California who have family back in Phoenix and they too make fun of Mesa(this really shocked me that they knew what it was). I've noticed the negative view toward mesa in conversation, even with my friends in LA, has been escalated given the Mesa shooting(that killed 6 people) and the resent (beyond disgusting) child abuse case.

Granted, I didn't vote for Mesa because although it might be boring, it is far from being the worst suburb of Phoenix.
Mesa Fiesta District although a bit gritty has some mom and pop vibe like parts of Tempe. I stand by Gilbert and its right leaning water tower as the worst. Salt Lake without 4 seasons.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:33 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,281,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Mesa Fiesta District although a bit gritty has some mom and pop vibe like parts of Tempe. I stand by Gilbert and its right leaning water tower as the worst. Salt Lake without 4 seasons.
Gilbert is nothing like Salt Lake as far as being conservative, and every time I've met my (liberal) Gilbert friends in a bar, be it Blue32, House of Brews, Cogburns, etc, there's a line out the door. Gilbert is certainly more religious than some suburbs, but if there's 10 houses on a block, probably 4-5 out of 10 attend church and one of those are LDS. In SLC its easily 9/10. I don't live in Gilbert but know many that do and love it, and none of them believe in any religion (like me).

Old 04-05-2016, 08:25 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,472,346 times
Quote:

I hope your friends in LA realize all the ugliness that exists in their own backyard too over the decades that frankly makes Mesa and the Phoenix metro look rather tame. Funny how those in other cities elsewhere with lots of nastiness going on fail to see the squalor and violence in their own backyard. Some of these people need to land a bit I think.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:57 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,504,206 times
Tolleson is my least-favorite suburb, it's small, dingy, boring, and highly industrial, not much room or reason for residential growth.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:05 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
Quote:
I almost feel as if Mesa is the midwest of the Valley.
Mesa has abundant freshwater lakes and rivers, deep forests, rolling hills, ski resorts, and a solid 4 season climate? Wow. Sign me up!

Old 04-06-2016, 10:33 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,964,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Mesa has abundant freshwater lakes and rivers, deep forests, rolling hills, ski resorts, and a solid 4 season climate? Wow. Sign me up!
Pasty white people, accents and flat terrain? Fits the bill

Old 04-06-2016, 10:52 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,474,501 times
Quote:
haha ohhhhh please you know what I mean.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:55 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Pasty white people, accents and flat terrain? Fits the bill
To be honest, I was more tan in IL than I am here in AZ. The reasoning is simple... everyone is outside in teh summer there, for like 5 straight months. Here most people hide during the day. Funny how that is.

And what accent? The only noticeable accent might be northern MN and the UP of MI, thats about it.

Flat terrain? In areas, sure. If it werent for the surrounding mountains in PHX, the Valley is FAR flatter than the Midwest. Most of the Valley is absolutely featureless and flat as a pancake.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:16 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,281,299 times
Quote:
To be honest, I was more tan in IL than I am here in AZ. The reasoning is simple... everyone is outside in teh summer there, for like 5 straight months. Here most people hide during the day. Funny how that is.

And what accent? The only noticeable accent might be northern MN and the UP of MI, thats about it.

Flat terrain? In areas, sure. If it werent for the surrounding mountains in PHX, the Valley is FAR flatter than the Midwest. Most of the Valley is absolutely featureless and flat as a pancake.

You hide during the Summer here? I thought last year you said you were tougher than everyone here because you hiked mountains in the middle of the Summer and ride your bike 50 miles across town in the heat of the day? I'm outside all Summer, just have to hydrate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area