Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Favorite and least favorite communities and neighborhoods in Kentucky and reasons why, rude and uncouth neighborhoods include Corbin, Somerset, eastern Kentucky hillbillies

Old 03-27-2007, 09:07 PM

Location: Shepherdsville and Frankfort, Kentucky, soon to be somewhere in TEXAS!
23 posts, read 153,739 times

Advertisements

For me: Louisville, Stanford, Harrodsburg, Danville, Cadiz, Northern Kentucky. The five latter communities, in my experience, could classify as the most genuinely friendly places in Kentucky--and I've visited 95 of 120 counties. Louisville is not very friendly, but combines an urban vibe and nightlife with a small town feel to its neighborhoods. Northern Kentucky is weird--really, friendlier than the rest of Kentucky, but its cuisine and culture is more northern. Harrodsburg, Danville, and Cadiz are each charming towns with plenty of down-to-earth, laid-back, friendly country folks.

Least favorite: The rest of the freakin' state sucks, as it is full of either rude and uncouthe rednecks or "white trash with money" that thinks it is so special because they actually have a house, car, and all their teeth in tact. Whoop-dee-doo! Most places in hillbilly eastern Kentucky are the worst about this, namely Corbin, Somerset, and Paintsville! But, some of the central Kentucky communities like Bullitt County, Lawrenceburg, Winchester, Frankfort, and Taylorsville. But most of these places are too po-dunk for my tastes, anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:00 AM

190 posts, read 812,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinkentucky View Post
For me: Louisville, Stanford, Harrodsburg, Danville, Cadiz, Northern Kentucky. The five latter communities, in my experience, could classify as the most genuinely friendly places in Kentucky--and I've visited 95 of 120 counties. Louisville is not very friendly, but combines an urban vibe and nightlife with a small town feel to its neighborhoods. Northern Kentucky is weird--really, friendlier than the rest of Kentucky, but its cuisine and culture is more northern. Harrodsburg, Danville, and Cadiz are each charming towns with plenty of down-to-earth, laid-back, friendly country folks.

Least favorite: The rest of the freakin' state sucks, as it is full of either rude and uncouthe rednecks or "white trash with money" that thinks it is so special because they actually have a house, car, and all their teeth in tact. Whoop-dee-doo! Most places in hillbilly eastern Kentucky are the worst about this, namely Corbin, Somerset, and Paintsville! But, some of the central Kentucky communities like Bullitt County, Lawrenceburg, Winchester, Frankfort, and Taylorsville. But most of these places are too po-dunk for my tastes, anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Wow, stuck, this is about the rudest post I have ever read. I happen to be an "Easterner" (Waco, KY) and take offense at your comments. Not only is this area one of the friendliest I have ever been in, I cannot remember meeting anyone who fits your "white trash with money" description. Actually, most of the people around here are hard working, honest, friendly, reliable, and moral. What you are calling "rednecks" just may be normal people reacting to a crappy attitude from comments like these. My family happens to have a vacation cabin in Somerset and have found the people in the area to be outgoing, friendly, and willing to help anyone! I actually broke down on the by-pass there last year and had 5 cars of people pull over to help-2 of them women about my age offering the use of a cell phone or a ride! Does this sound "unfriendly" to you? I have several family members living in Corbin and London, so I know those areas, also. I think your problem with those areas and they are also nice places to live/visit.

From what I get from your post, you have shown that you are jealous of people that actually own a car, their home, money, and a good dental plan. Unless you have actually been in an area, do not judge it. I am VERY proud of my town, and this state. Our citizens tend to be down to earth, happy, relaxed, friendly and non-judgemental, which sounds like you need some lessons in.

Maybe you should take less time traveling through, and start getting to know the people/customs of the areas. Just because you pass through a town does NOT mean you know it, or could pass the harsh judgements you have listed. If that was the way it is, the people that read your rant would pass a very harsh judgement on you.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:15 PM

559 posts, read 2,115,851 times
Folks who visit this board are coming to it to gain information about a certain place. Those who wish to provide comments about a place--whether positive or negative--need to be sure they state that this is just their own opinion. Personally, if I don't have something of value to offer, I don't post, and if I do say something negative, I try to always let everyone who may be reading it know that this is a personal opinion and is not the opinion of everyone.

I live in WA state, and I personally don't care for the tremendous amount of rain we get; however, there are those people who will love it and those who won't be bothered by it. Washington is a lovely state with much to recommend it to folks who may be looking there, as is Kentucky.

I have only been through Kentucky once when I was a child riding on a cross-country train trip. I remember seeing the "blue grass" and being surprised that it wasn't "completely blue." But I definitely remember it and remember that it did have a definite blue-green tint. The train rode through the area in the morning, and it was sunny and beautiful. I'll never forget it.

Anyway, the point of my post is to ask everyone who posts to remember that no matter what place you are posting about, there are people living there, who may be reading our board. We need to be mindful of each other and treat each other with kindness and respect. Just a thought... :-)

Old 03-29-2007, 05:27 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Thank you brightcopperkettles....well my husband and I have visited most of the southern states - spent several weeks on several occasions in many of them and I will say that we think KY has the most friendly people of any that we have visited (we are from So. CA). I think when blanket judgements are made like yours Stuckinkentucky, you have to wonder if it is the people that are unfriendly or is it you? Your overall attitude is capsulized in your name. Your post was obviously meant to inflame and insult and I think you have accomplished your goal.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:19 AM

559 posts, read 2,115,851 times
Cattknap, you are kindly welcome! Hope it helped. :-)

Old 03-30-2007, 04:23 AM

190 posts, read 812,188 times
Thanx Cattknap and brightcopperkettles. I am so glad you both have had good experiences in Ky. Sorry that I got a little "heated up" when I replied to this post-but this type of slamming should not happen. I get real upset when people judge others/areas/cultures without completely understanding it. I guess I'm TOO proud of my state!

Best regards ~joanna~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky