Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Least favorite Phoenix suburb?
Surprise 4 3.67%
Peoria 2 1.83%
Glendale 12 11.01%
Litchfield 0 0%
Avondale 2 1.83%
Buckeye 3 2.75%
Tolleson 11 10.09%
Goodyear 1 0.92%
Cave Creek 2 1.83%
Carefree 1 0.92%
Paradise Valley 2 1.83%
Scottsdale 10 9.17%
Tempe 2 1.83%
Fountain Hills 0 0%
Mesa 16 14.68%
Chandler 2 1.83%
Gilbert 13 11.93%
Apache Junction 10 9.17%
Guadalupe 12 11.01%
Queen Creek 4 3.67%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 03:28 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Scottsdale does have some great restaurants. One of my favorite restaurants in Scottsdale is called SOL, it's a Baja Californian Mexican restaurant that's in the Scottsdale Quarter, and it had the best cheese quesadilla my tongue has ever acquainted with. I would kill to have that quesadilla again. I miss it sometimes.
I wonder if these are related? See Mexican Restaurants, Scottsdale, AZ - SOL Cocina and this MN chain Baja Sol

The chain in MN is really good. It seems the Scottsdale location has the same flavor.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
FWIW, there was a time LP was #2 and the SW Valley was very well represented.

There are many metrics, but using median household income using current census data you get Paradise Valley #1, Gilbert have moved into #2, Cave Creek #3, Litchfield Park #4, then Scottsdale/Chandler are pretty much equal followed by Goodyear

If you take a CDP like Anthem it would drop 3rd

If you go per capita income it goes PV, Scottsdale then LP
You cannot afford to have a couple million dollar home with a $122K of household income. It doesn't compute. According to C-D, the average home in PV is north of a million. So as I said before, a lot of people in PV are not registered in AZ. They have a spot in AZ to warm up over the winter. It's beautiful too!

LP @ $75,239 household income is not remotely affluent. Of course there are small pockets of $$'s in LP. For that matter, the overwhelming majority of Scottsdale is not affluent $69K.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:44 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
Blah, blah, blah

LP is in the top 35% nationally in median household income, I really don't care about word play or peeing contests

The city does pretty well by pretty much any metric

I read an article recently that had Gilbert as the highest median household income for cities of a certain size on a COL adjusted basis

When 15% of Americans and 21% of Arizonans are at our below the poverty line you can share context and nuance to such discussion

Old 04-14-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Blah, blah, blah

LP is in the top 35% nationally in median household income, I really don't care about word play or peeing contests

The city does pretty well by pretty much any metric

I read an article recently that had Gilbert as the highest median household income for cities of a certain size on a COL adjusted basis

When 15% of Americans and 21% of Arizonans are at our below the poverty line you can share context and nuance to such discussion
ABSOLUTELY! LP does pretty well. Who said they didn't? FACT. The household income numbers are skewed. PV has soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much more money than LP. That was my only point.

Speaking of bla bla bla. What does 15% of Americans and 21% of Arizonans at the poverty linehave to do with anything?

Old 04-14-2016, 10:01 AM

Relativity and context as LP was brought up in context to Avondale and how they were presumed to be the same type of place. That is nothing against Avondale, but they are different

Since the comparisons are to other points in AZ baselines and relativity are important for context

Old 04-14-2016, 10:03 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
It's kind of silly to look at such a small community as Litchfield Park and try to determine anything. A $75,000 household income for a community of 5,000 residents is not really much at all. Litchfield Park can be compared with some larger Master Planned Communities with similar populations as more of an apples to apples comparison. the Ocotillo community in South Chandler, for example is 3 square miles and likely a similar population as LP (maybe more people) and has a median household income of $160,000. This area includes a handful of apartment complexes as well. A $75,000 median household income is really only impressive when it is data from a much larger city (think 150,000++) with varying housing types including low income areas. Having said that, I like Litchfield Park. It sort of reminds me of the Moon Valley neighborhood in North Phoenix with the sprawling custom ranch houses, golf course, etc.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:16 AM

Again, context

Then again, I'm on record that this whole thread is pretty stupid

Old 04-14-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
It's kind of silly to look at such a small community as Litchfield Park and try to determine anything. A $75,000 household income for a community of 5,000 residents is not really much at all. Litchfield Park can be compared with some larger Master Planned Communities with similar populations as more of an apples to apples comparison. the Ocotillo community in South Chandler, for example is 3 square miles and likely a similar population as LP (maybe more people) and has a median household income of $160,000. This area includes a handful of apartment complexes as well. A $75,000 median household income is really only impressive when it is data from a much larger city (think 150,000++) with varying housing types including low income areas. Having said that, I like Litchfield Park. It sort of reminds me of the Moon Valley neighborhood in North Phoenix with the sprawling custom ranch houses, golf course, etc.
We agree. LP has some nice homes and certainly there are areas inside of LP that are well above the $75K income level. But IMHO, way too close to Luke. But Chandler has many more pockets of higher $$ areas. I too like LP (as well as Goodyear.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:11 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,631,909 times
Instead of worst suburb, why not the best suburb? See how the title can change perception of people's opinions...

On the subject, I can't vote because I've only been to the metropolitan area for 1 day, not enough time to form an idea of affluent areas yet. I will vote on the poll this summer.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:21 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Instead of worst suburb, why not the best suburb? See how the title can change perception of people's opinions...

On the subject, I can't vote because I've only been to the metropolitan area for 1 day, not enough time to form an idea of affluent areas yet. I will vote on the poll this summer.
I stated why on the first page. We already know who will win those because they are the ones that are CONSTANTLY recommended to potential relocations on this forum. Unless the poster already honed in on a certain area in town (like West Valley or SE valley because they work further out of town) anyone who visits the Phoenix forum knows the recommended suburbs.

There are certain very nice areas of town because that's where the high income people live and they will always win a thread like that. High income people live there for a reason, after all. This thread however shines the light on the suburbs almost no one talks about, like Guadalupe and Apache Junction. I haven't seen AJ on any thread on here since I've been active the past three years. And it's one of the losing suburbs. For someone searching the forum about AJ they aren't going to find as many threads about it as Scottsdale or Tempe. This is somewhat of a thread that says "oh, Apache Junction and Glendale have so many votes, maybe I shouldn't look there."

I would rather get into a discussion on this forum about worse areas and how they can improve and why they are currently bad instead of getting into a pissing contest on why I think this suburb is better than another. I know that would happen because a few pages back people were arguing about Surprise in almost a "pissing contest" like fashion. It would be even more likely on a favorite suburb thread.

A couple other posters have said the same thing as you. If they only want to view Phoenix as a land of unicorns, rainbows and roses then they can go make a "favorite suburb" thread. I'm not going to. I may vote on it but I won't post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area