Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 07:29 AM

11,191 posts, read 10,786,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't see that many men, even younger ones prancing around on those super high heels and risking ankle injuries. I wonder if things have really changed all that much is all -- women are being taught they are equal to men but it's not very evident that they are buying into it. Independent women are nothing new, my great grandmother was extremely self-sufficient as well as some great aunts and aunts. They could do what few men today could do.

At least do you take your car into a shop with female mechanics?
This ^^

One of my grandmothers was the strongest woman I've ever met, personality wise. She and her husband built their 2 story farmhouse themselves back in the 1920's, and even though she was pregnant when it was time to put the roof on she climbed up there and did what needed to be done. Even at the age of 80, when she could barely walk and was hunched over like a cartoon version of the proverbial wicked witch, she would go to town and buy a 40lb. bag of food for the dogs, carry it to her truck herself, and toss it on her shoulder to carry it to the house when she got home.

The entire idea that in order for women to be equal to men they have to be raised in the same way and play with the same toys that boys do is ridiculous. Anyone who doesn't see the equality between men and women should have a serious sit down talk with whoever gave them the notion that one sex is superior to another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 08:11 AM

19,018 posts, read 25,275,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
This ^^

One of my grandmothers was the strongest woman I've ever met, personality wise. She and her husband built their 2 story farmhouse themselves back in the 1920's, and even though she was pregnant when it was time to put the roof on she climbed up there and did what needed to be done. Even at the age of 80, when she could barely walk and was hunched over like a cartoon version of the proverbial wicked witch, she would go to town and buy a 40lb. bag of food for the dogs, carry it to her truck herself, and toss it on her shoulder to carry it to the house when she got home.

The entire idea that in order for women to be equal to men they have to be raised in the same way and play with the same toys that boys do is ridiculous. Anyone who doesn't see the equality between men and women should have a serious sit down talk with whoever gave them the notion that one sex is superior to another.
Give the gift of healthy brain development this holiday season | MSU Extension

Old 12-09-2013, 10:39 AM

5,830 posts, read 7,773,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Lynnwood View Post
My Point proven.

You are now being ignored and black listed as a troll who cant come up with his own logical thoughts.

Now lets get back on topic.
No "doctor" let's talk again about who you really are for a moment, or rather what you are not.

Someone suggested that your poor writing is because you are foreign born.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
There are doctors who grew up in foreign countries and learned English as a second language and don't speak the best English.
But wouldn't it be odd for a foreign born doctor to make fun of how someone talks as he does here?

Quote:
No, he comes from a generation that values real human conversation.

Now a days the newer generations are to indulged in their 2.5 inch screen devices reading broken English in text messages and phones.

Hella is a word from Ebonics. that form of the English language called Ebonics is for low class, stupid, and lazy individuals.

Instead of people being able to form complete thoughts using full sentences/words to complete their thought process, feelings, and emotions they substitute words like "hella".

Your words equals your mentality and the mentality of the world today is that of a 12 year old.
So, what kind of doctor does he say he is? MD, PhD, or what? He tells us in this post, the rest of which is basically incoherent.

Quote:
My PhD degree in psychology. An its not based of people I never met. Its the base of the actions/motive that represent and prove facts on the outcome.
So the good "doctor" says he's a psychologist. This is the photo from his profile. Why is a psychologist wearing a stethoscope? Psychologists are not medical doctors and they do not conduct physical examinations. Either this is not his photo, he's not a psychologist like he says, or both. I vote both.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...d-1645820.html

Now I appreciate that many of you don't really care that this guy is a phony, but by using the title "Dr." he has tried to lend credibility to his posts in this particular thread. He pretends to be a psychologist and starts a thread about child rearing, a field in which a psychologist might be expected to have some special knowledge, and one where he would have more credibility than the average person. The problem is, he isn't any of that.

If you are interested in the subject then by all means discuss away. But if you are inclined to listen to what the OP has to say, take into account that he does lie about who and what he is.

And for those who don't want to read my posts, there is an ignore function in your settings.

Last edited by Glenfield; 12-09-2013 at 10:49 AM..

Old 12-09-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't either. If you just let your kids be, let them play with any kinds of toys, their different wiring will have them select their favorites. Not all little girls are wired to play with dolls. Some may be quite disinterested in them, but others will prefer them to all other toys. Little boys can play with dolls or not. There have been dolls for boys for years now --- there there the he-man dolls, gi-joe dolls, ninja turtle dolls and all sorts of "action figures" which amount to dolls. A boy can actually whip up a cake and then go out and work on his car.
That's exactly what I'm thinking as well. Let the kid gravitate towards his/her own interest. I'm going to buy my daughter dolls, a chemistry set, and a pink tool belt so she can match her mommy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post

Now I appreciate that many of you don't really care that this guy is a phony, but by using the title "Dr." he has tried to lend credibility to his posts in this particular thread.
It doesn't lend credibility in forums. I don't think it lends credibility in general, especially if content doesn't make sense. His station and professional credibility will only matter if he has authored any research. Then it makes sense to discredit him if he's a phony or has engaged in funny business. I will never pay attention, for example, to a scientist that has previously engaged in misconduct. Such people forfeit their credibility to a degree that it doesn't matter if they're on point or not.

With that said, poor grammar certainly reflects poorly on the credibility of a poster, sure, but I bet what he calls himself isn't going to be noticed by most.

Anyhow, OP, you do need to beef up your grammar. I suggest you start writing on English forums. Do that for a few months and it should nip your issues in the bud (apostrophes, too vs to, you may do the lose vs loose horror show, there vs their vs they're, etc). And get firefox. It has auto spell unlike IE, which is such a pain in the rear.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:57 AM

532 posts, read 1,074,127 times
That photograph is clearly a fake, not really who the person is. I've taught the children of a lot of foreign physicians, and the writing patterns exhibited here are that of regular person who has poor writing skills, not someone who's primary language is not English.

And they certainly are using the logical fallacy of appeal to authority, albiet by intimation. But it's still wrong. I'm reading Sam Harris's Lying--I had not realized how much everyone lies, all the time. I do appreciate the argument, however, that ideas should be evaluated on their own merits.

We should all follow the example of Mandala and just forgive this person; maybe they'll stop doing such a silly thing.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
That photograph is clearly a fake, not really who the person is. I've taught the children of a lot of foreign physicians, and the writing patterns exhibited here are that of regular person who has poor writing skills, not someone who's primary language is not English.

And they certainly are using the logical fallacy of appeal to authority, albiet by intimation. But it's still wrong. I'm reading Sam Harris's Lying--I had not realized how much everyone lies, all the time. I do appreciate the argument, however, that ideas should be evaluated on their own merits.

We should all follow the example of Mandala and just forgive this person; maybe they'll stop doing such a silly thing.
Uh huh.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:33 PM

8,069 posts, read 7,013,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post

There is no appeal to authority fallacy in this thread because the OP never presented an argument claiming his expertise was the reason he arrived to his conclusion. The OP has not discussed his expertise. Maybe it happened in another thread but it didn't happen here.

It's irrelevant if he is a fake doctor(he probably is since he borrowed that picture from Google) because that is not part of the argument. I understand that maybe you have interacted with him in other threads but to those of us who are unfamiliar with your previous history with the OP it is not important. If he needs to be exposed it's probably better to do it in the threads where he claimed to be an expert. Over here most of us didn't click on his profile and didn't assume he was a doctor either because people can have all kinds of screen names.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:36 AM

169 posts, read 272,287 times
Quote:
There is no appeal to authority fallacy in this thread because the OP never presented an argument claiming his expertise was the reason he arrived to his conclusion. The OP has not discussed his expertise. Maybe it happened in another thread but it didn't happen here.

It's irrelevant if he is a fake doctor(he probably is since he borrowed that picture from Google) because that is not part of the argument. I understand that maybe you have interacted with him in other threads but to those of us who are unfamiliar with your previous history with the OP it is not important. If he needs to be exposed it's probably better to do it in the threads where he claimed to be an expert. Over here most of us didn't click on his profile and didn't assume he was a doctor either because people can have all kinds of screen names.
This is getting out of hand. I did not get into any other conversations with the accuser before hand this thread. For some reason people cant mind their own business and instead enjoy a discussion in the topic I brought up.

This thread has turned into a 5th grade spelling B.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:16 AM

532 posts, read 1,074,127 times
Quote:

You've got your posters mixed up; you're confusing me with somebody else, the other poster who complained.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:18 AM

5,830 posts, read 7,773,850 times
Quote:
This is getting out of hand. I did not get into any other conversations with the accuser before hand this thread. For some reason people cant mind their own business and instead enjoy a discussion in the topic I brought up.

This thread has turned into a 5th grade spelling B.
Why did you change the picture on your profile to one where there is not stethoscope? I note that this happened after I pointed out the conflict between the stethoscope in the picture and your claim to be a psychologist.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/members/dr-lynnwood-1645820.html

C'mon, you aren't fooling anyone. It's a totally different guy! Stop pretending you are a doctor.

It's not true, is it? It would be better than to go on pretending with all these medical school stories and all that. It's so hard to keep the lies straight. You can admit it.

We will not hold it against you. People pretend all sorts of things on the internet. Just change your screen name and drop the doctor stuff. You'll feel better about it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy