Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 02:18 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,193,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Lynnwood View Post
Then what is your definition of "success"? The word success is only the perceived definition of the user.
I took the definition (which is objective) of success from the dictionary; it has nothing to do with perception, which is completely subjective.
Success is the accomplishment of a goal, an achievement, etc.

If the boy is encouraged to wear pink and play with Barbies, that won't likely lead him toward success in fields where masculine men typically excel. OTOH, it may equip him for success in fields such as fashion design, costume design & wardrobe (for theatrical / film productions), etc.

The entire OP sounded like nothing more than a whitewashed encouragement of childhood gender-bending. If an adult wants to assume a role outside his or her traditional gender role, then that's his or her choice to make. By contrast, it's wrong for adults to encourage impressionable young minds to strive to be something they are not, and/or cannot be.

Quote:
Say that boy who is playing with barbies and pink is a child who was born into the wrong body.
Nobody is "born into the wrong body."
XY = male
XX = female

It's that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 02:52 PM

169 posts, read 272,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
I took the definition (which is objective) of success from the dictionary; it has nothing to do with perception, which is completely subjective.
Success is the accomplishment of a goal, an achievement, etc.

If the boy is encouraged to wear pink and play with Barbies, that won't likely lead him toward success in fields where masculine men typically excel. OTOH, it may equip him for success in fields such as fashion design, costume design & wardrobe (for theatrical / film productions), etc.

The entire OP sounded like nothing more than a whitewashed encouragement of childhood gender-bending. If an adult wants to assume a role outside his or her traditional gender role, then that's his or her choice to make. By contrast, it's wrong for adults to encourage impressionable young minds to strive to be something they are not, and/or cannot be.
Defention: Success
"The achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted"

You and I have a different ideology of success... If my goal is to make pink dress's for a living and sell them for a profit and accomplish it. Then I have reached success...

Old 12-07-2013, 02:53 PM

5,830 posts, read 7,773,029 times
Quote:
In this ever changing world of equality and fairness boy's and girl's should be raised equally.
A women no longer has the same responsibility's as she did compared to her ancestors. Cooking and cleaning is no longer a necessity for the modern day strong and independent woman of today. She has an equal chance of competing and THRIVING in what was once thought of as a 'mans world'.

If little girls are interested in building, tools, and cars that was once only thought for boys instead of the traditional baby dolls/ tea sets then so be it. Empower your girl and let her become successful in life. independent and free of a man in her adult life for her own personal conquest to make it on top in the corporate ladder. Take a look at this interesting product geared towards children(girls)...

Girl Power Toy Ad - YouTube

And the same goes along with little boys who want to dress in pink and play with barbies is 100% ok in my opinion. Society should be more open minded and NOT stuck in the past with the previous 'traditional' way of living.

What are your thoughts/opinions?
I think you're way behind the times with this line of thinking. The latest research shows that men and women's brains really are quite different.

Brain 'wired differently' in men and women - Medical News Today

I also think that you don't understand the difference between raising them "equally" and raising them identically.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:55 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,997,917 times
Quote:
EXCATLY, meaning that she no longer has to cook and clean as her ONLY role as a woman. Yes, technically she as to cook to eat but she doesn't have to do this for financial security in a result/exchange of a man being her sole provider.
I think the years of women being solely dependent on a man have been over for quite some time. I am 48 years old and it is quite normal for women of my generation to have had an education and career of their choice.

Quote:
You and I have a different definition on independent women. *MY* opinion on an independent woman is some one who can provide and take of her self. This does not mean she has to be single. The financial responsibilities are split 50% 50% for example.
You are the one who said "...free of a man in her adult life" not me.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:29 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,932,598 times
Another important thing we need to teach our children is proper apostrophe usage, particularly that if a word is pluralized, it does NOT need an apostrophe.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:38 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,216,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And yes --- women can now work better jobs than many could in the past. They can earn as much or more than men. They can contribute to their children's support or even be the sole provider. There is little excuse today for helplessness. Women don't have to squeal over a little spider anymore and wait like little damsels in distress to be rescued by a man. They don't have to stand helplessly on the side of the road because they've got a flat tire and wait for some knight in shining armor to save them, they can get out and change it -- it's not hard to do.

That's all good --- but I don't know if particular toys is why. Nurses for example today can make very high incomes and it's become far more gender neutral.
Yes, nurses can make good money in the right setting. (Nights, in a hospital, for ex.) However, nursing is still 90+% female. And ironically, men make more than women in nursing, even in the same jobs.

 In 2011, 9 percent of all nurses were men while 91 percent were women. Men earned, on
average, $60,700 per year, while women earned $51,100 per year.
 Men’s representation was highest among nurse anesthetists: 41 percent were men.
 Male nurse anesthetists earned more than twice as much as the average for men in all nursing
occupations. Male nurse anesthetists earned, on average, $162,900 per year, while men’s
average for all nursing occupations was $60,700 per year.
 Even among men and women in the same nursing occupations, men outearned women.
Women working as nurses full‐time, year‐round earned 91 cents for every dollar male nurses
earned.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...57752919,d.aWM

Do note these salaries are less than often reported for more nurses, and more in line with reality, IMO.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 12-07-2013 at 05:55 PM..

Old 12-07-2013, 04:48 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,824,112 times
Quote:
It's been going on for some time now -- and yet you still see women today wearing silly high heels that put them at risk of a ankle fracture, and women still seeming to love shopping for hours. I don't know why. I also see women still not changing their own tires or doing any maintenance on their cars like changing the oil. I still see girls screaming over spiders and acting frilly.
To be fair, I don't see many teen boys doing much car maintenance, I had to show one how to take the tire off the back of his wrangler just Tuesday. I see kids of all genders screaming at spiders. And many men like to shop too.

And if we are going to pick on silly fashions, we could talk about ties as well.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:53 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,824,112 times
Quote:
And yes --- women can now work better jobs than many could in the past. They can earn as much or more than men.
But they don't. Even when they do the same job, and have the same experience, and the same education.
Women Still Make Less Than Men For Same Work : NPR
Women Still Earned 77 Cents On Men's Dollar In 2012: Report
Did You Know That Women Are Still Paid Less Than Men? | The White House

Quote:
They can contribute to their children's support or even be the sole provider. There is little excuse today for helplessness. Women don't have to squeal over a little spider anymore and wait like little damsels in distress to be rescued by a man. They don't have to stand helplessly on the side of the road because they've got a flat tire and wait for some knight in shining armor to save them, they can get out and change it -- it's not hard to do.

That's all good --- but I don't know if particular toys is why. Nurses for example today can make very high incomes and it's become far more gender neutral.
Toys are a symptom of a larger problem and that is the fact that there is still not equality on a social or economic level.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,910,094 times
Quote:
EXCATLY, meaning that she no longer has to cook and clean as her ONLY role as a woman. Yes, technically she as to cook to eat but she doesn't have to do this for financial security in a result/exchange of a man being her sole provider.

You and I have a different definition on independent women. *MY* opinion on an independent woman is some one who can provide and take of her self. This does not mean she has to be single. The financial responsibilities are split 50% 50% for example.
Why in the world would I want to provide and take care of myself, when I have a lovely, loving, giving man who provides and takes care of me? Bonus: if I outlive him, I get -everything-. It's not much, but it's more than I'd get if I didn't have him.

I have a few responsibilities, but none of them are demeaning, or troublesome. I'm not much of a housewife, and I work part-time as a way of a) getting me out of the house, b) interacting with other human beings every day, and c) providing us with grocery money so that his income can cover the bills, and still allow us enough every year for a modest vacation.

Sure, I -could- be an independent woman who provides for herself, but frankly, I'm way too lazy for that. That's what husbands are for; to serve their wives

Old 12-07-2013, 06:16 PM

5,830 posts, read 7,773,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Another important thing we need to teach our children is proper apostrophe usage, particularly that if a word is pluralized, it does NOT need an apostrophe.
I doubt our "doctor" really is one because most of this stuff was debunked long ago, and the spelling of plurals as "boy's" and "girl's" is a great tip off. Nice catch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy