Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 05:36 AM

19,018 posts, read 25,275,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Genotype begets phenotype, not vice-versa.

Mutations are the exception, not the rule.

And in the case of androgen insensitivity syndrome, "these girls" are actually guys. XY = male, and XX = female, regardless of how well-developed or underdeveloped the resulting physical characteristics are.
To start, your responses are not making sense. The bolded has nothing to do with her post. Second, What makes a man a man and a woman a woman is far more complicated than XX or XY. It's how either are expressed to state the obvious and if the expression deviates of course there are going to be gender issues. I have no idea why you think it would be so simple for people with the conditions she noted. You sound ignorant.

Quote:
Cite a source - I'm actually interested in reading up on this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=many...ient=firefox-a
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 02:02 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,571,743 times
When my sister taught preschool they were adamant about the boys and girls having equal opportunity to play with whatever toys they wished. The parents came from wealthy progressive backgrounds and did not allow toy guns in their homes. They also fully supported their little boys playing with dolls and little girls playing with toy trucks.

But guess what the kids did? Sure some of the girls gravitated towards the trucks and some of the boys played with the dolls but for the most part, girls liked the dolls and dress up and boys liked the more mechanical stuff. They all liked gender neutral toys like blocks and balls and things of that nature. Stuffed animals were a bit hit.

How they played with the toys was revealing. The boys would take any toy and hit the other kids with them. The girls hardly ever did that. We're talking about ages three to five years old. And the really interesting thing is that while no toy guns were allowed, the boys would take thumb and forefinger and go "bang, bang" at everyone.

So where did they get that from? More than likely TV. Not from their toy box of course. But the thing is, girls watch TV too and more than likely the same shows. They didn't do the "bang, bang" with pretend guns.

Boys and girls are wired differently. They develop differently in motor skills, speech skills, growth and behaviorally. They are not equal. But It isn't a matter so much of trying to make them equal as it is giving them equal opportunities. That's the key. Everyone male and female should have the same opportunities in life whether it is in the area of toys or jobs. And that should start at an early age.

By the way, I have to add that the OP seems to have a twin who is also in the medical profession as a sports physician. What are the odds?

Thomas S. Roberts, MD - Sports Medicine Doctor - Faulkner County, AR

Old 12-19-2013, 07:38 PM

89,077 posts, read 85,670,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Lynnwood View Post
This is getting out of hand. I did not get into any other conversations with the accuser before hand this thread. For some reason people cant mind their own business and instead enjoy a discussion in the topic I brought up.

This thread has turned into a 5th grade spelling B.
The last sentence is hilarious. Sharing that one on the thread where we enjoy such things.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:14 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,194,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Have you thrown your Iranian theory by any American women lately?
My response was based upon Benjamin Franklin's "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

BTW, Franklin was the son of an Englishman; he was not Iranian.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:30 PM

42,410 posts, read 87,347,699 times
Quote:
My response was based upon Benjamin Franklin's "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
Huh? You said "And when treated properly, most of us (husbands) are happy to do just that - serve our wives, the women we love." How did the Franklin quote apply to that?

Show me where Franklin said that a wife should not be served nor loved, unless she "treated properly" her husband?

Old 12-23-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Huh? You said "And when treated properly, most of us (husbands) are happy to do just that - serve our wives, the women we love." How did the Franklin quote apply to that?

Show me where Franklin said that a wife should not be served nor loved, unless she "treated properly" her husband?
You got two separate things mixed up.

The Franklin quote is the philosophical basis of my response to your posting about bad marriages, where I asserted that it is far better to prevent a bad marriage than it is to enter into one (or turn a good one bad), and then end it.

My affirmation of AnonChick's playful comment about husbands serving their wives has nothing to do with your remarks about surviving a bad marriage.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:49 PM

42,410 posts, read 87,347,699 times
Quote:
You got two separate things mixed up.

The Franklin quote is the philosophical basis of my response to your posting about bad marriages, where I asserted that it is far better to prevent a bad marriage than it is to enter into one (or turn a good one bad), and then end it.

My affirmation of AnonChick's playful comment about husbands serving their wives has nothing to do with your remarks about surviving a bad marriage.
So, your response that quoted me wasn't a response to what I said in that quote, but I'm the one who is mixed up. I had quoted the entirety of your text in Post #88, and had no reason to believe it was not your opinion.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
What makes a man a man and a woman a woman is far more complicated than XX or XY.
No, it's not.

The chromosomes caused him to become a male, the resultingcharacteristics indicate that he is a male.

Chromosomes determine sex. Sex then determines physical characteristics. If some abnormal condition such as "androgen insensitivity syndrome" prevents those characteristics from developing, that doesn't change the fact that the male is still a male.

In a previous post, you must've missed (or ignored) my emphasis on the word "resulting" when I said "the resulting physical characteristics."

Old 12-24-2013, 07:31 AM

19,018 posts, read 25,275,099 times
Quote:
No, it's not.

The chromosomes caused him to become a male, the resultingcharacteristics indicate that he is a male.
I believe the point is that the chromosomes do not always result in the characteristics as the predicted designation of man or woman.

Quote:
Chromosomes determine sex. Sex then determines physical characteristics. If some abnormal condition such as "androgen insensitivity syndrome" prevents those characteristics from developing, that doesn't change the fact that the male is still a male.

In a previous post, you must've missed (or ignored) my emphasis on the word "resulting" when I said "the resulting physical characteristics."
Again, no, what makes a man a man is far more complicated than XY. Is an XY zygote a man or male? No, of course not. "Sex" refers to the biological and physiological characteristics that define men and women."
WHO | What do we mean by "sex" and "gender"?

We look to other qualities beyond chromosome to determine male or female. These characteristics include not only chromosomes to determine sex, but hormones and physical appearance. You want to ignore all, but chromosomes. I don't see the point in that.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:34 AM

7,349 posts, read 6,986,710 times
Many of the homosexuals I have known are not the result of birth, but of environment pressures .
some boys have literally been forced to be effeminate by their single mothers and some girls have by abusive males been Leary of them, preferring female affection.
Many of the rest are simply promiscuous and immoral selfish and abusive by nature.
Rarely have ai met any that from birth had a deformity having both organs.
I've known plenty of folk that are born with physical deformity ,and those that were pampered because of it often became liabilities , and those that were not pampered , were their own driver to success, in spite of their abnormality.
People anxious to prove an agenda will alter their child's natural design, and any one else's they can for that matter .
That is abuse ,not natural selection.
Women can't leave man to be a man they try to feminize him ,why do that ?
Then when you do get what you want, you complain he has no back bone.
Now we have a generation of men that don't want to marry because their tired of being abused and manipulated.
And we have a greater amount of jerk men that were raised by manipulative women .
Those jerk men abuse their daughters and the girls become lesbens.
The reason we have success in the machine world, is because STANDARDS are established, and strictly maintained ,when those STANDARDS are deviated from, the production stops ,and liabilities elevate exponentially .
Trying to raise children with no standards, gives you the messed up world we have today.
And it's not getting any better .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy