Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 11:51 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,511,330 times

Advertisements

No offense but this is kind of an outdated post. I don't know anyone that forces their daughters into girly roles or insults their sensitive son. Heck I'm 37 and had trucks and guns to play with as a child.

But at the same time lets respect those that choose to pursue traditional roles, like me...I like to cook and clean. And just because my daughter thinks trucks are dumb and pink heels are awesome doesn't make her any less worthy than a mechanic-tomboy-future-engineer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 01:13 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,178,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Lynnwood View Post
Defention: Success
"The achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted"

You and I have a different ideology of success... If my goal is to make pink dress's for a living and sell them for a profit and accomplish it. Then I have reached success...
Your "ideology" of success was no different than the definition I quoted from the dictionary. You just expressed yours in specific, first person terms.

If your goal was "to make pink dresses for a living and sell them for a profit," and you accomplished that goal, then you achieved something that you desired, planned, or attempted.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:49 AM

532 posts, read 1,071,574 times
I am the most ardent feminist you will ever encounter; equal pay for equal work (most of all), equal opportunity to education, respect, protection from violence. However, my sense is that men and women are still different in some important ways, mainly sexual. I could be wrong about this, but I don't think so: there are some things between men and women that have been going on for millennia and are not going to change.

These things are so hardwired, I don't think you have to worry about teaching them to children. What children should be taught is kindness and intelligence, empathy for others, and social and intellectual skills. I think everything will be alright them; my sense is that each child has a very individualistic makeup of genes and chemicals, so no hard and fast rules apply to the nuances of sexual behavior. But if the children are armed with love, intellectual development and social skills, the majority will be fine.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:59 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,745,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Lynnwood View Post
This topic is a discussion about parenting and whether or not you should raise them the traditional way.

It is not a spelling bee or your 5th grade essay. If you cant come up with something intelligent to post and instead make child like remarks in your attempt to sabotage some one else reputation in an honorable position in society because YOU cant come up with your own logical thoughts.

Then please leave this thread and join the hello kitty forum instead. If you continue to post asinine comments about apostrophes and other none sense. You will only prove my point and the rest of your post will be ignored by me.

I welcome you to join this discussion like an adult but I will not tolerate child-like trollish behavior.

Have a good day.

-Dr. Lynnwood
First of all, it is perfectly legitimate to question the credentials of someone who asserts that they have authority in a particular subject. We have two things here that are at odds. On one hand, you call yourself "Dr." Lynwood. On the other hand, you can't punctuate correctly,and don't understand how to correctly use simple words like "equally," even when those words are fundamental to the explanation of your theory. You assert that children should be raised "equally" when quite obviously you really mean they should be raised identically or interchangeably when it comes to gender roles. I also note that no one questioned your spelling; we questioned your punctuation and word choice.

So why would a person who has all the education it takes to earn a doctorate make these simple mistakes? There are a couple of explanations, but the most obvious is that you have not had this education. So I am calling BS on the "doctor" stuff and saying you're st another Joe Schmoe like the rest of us.

Second, I cannot think of a less substantial comment than the one you have made here. You don't like that we are questioning who you really are, so you call me a child? What are you going to do next, stomp your foot?

Third, I notice that the good "doctor" doesn't have any insight into this comment that I made or the research described in the link, which indicates that male and female brains are constructed in fundamentally different ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I think you're way behind the times with this line of thinking. The latest research shows that men and women's brains really are quite different.

Brain 'wired differently' in men and women - Medical News Today

I also think that you don't understand the difference between raising them "equally" and raising them identically.
We can all draw our own conclusions about your choice of which of my comments to respond to. I suggest it's because you don't know jack about any of this.

Further, the topic is boring. Everyone knows instinctively that boys and girls are different.

Have a good day playing scholar on the Internet. Your shift at your regular job starts Monday morning like always.

Last edited by Glenfield; 12-08-2013 at 06:55 AM..

Old 12-08-2013, 06:11 AM

Yes, I too am finding it impossible to believe that someone with a doctorate would not know the difference between plural and possessive ("boy's and girl's" should be boys and girls), or makes horrendous mistakes in tense ("If little girls are interested in building, tools, and cars that was once only thought" - this is such a poorly written sentence, it's difficult knowing where to start, to correct it.) -- it's simply impossible, sorry.

There is someone on Maestronet, also (a forum for string players and luthiers) who calls himself "Dr. S." He does play and has studied the instrument, but he admits to everyone he isn't actually a doctor (i.e., doesn't have a DMA or PhD in any music subject). His grammar and spelling are awful, also, and his thought processes are not very sophisticated.

Calling yourself a doctor when you're not one is an insult to the approximately 5% of the population who have labored so hard to earn their doctorates (this does not take into account medical doctors, which is an entirely different academic area). In academia you have to have an undergraduate degree (4-5 years), a masters (2-3 years) and then some form of doctoral program, Ed.D or Ph.D--which normally takes four or more years, and is very, very hard work. Saying you have one when you don't is profoundly dishonest.

No one could survive +/- 12 years of academic work and make the sort of writing errors found in your post. I'm sorry; some people pretend things, thinking no one will notice, that they are getting away with something; others are delusional and if you call them on it, they become despondent and suicidal. I wish you well.

Last edited by jtaustin; 12-08-2013 at 07:15 AM..

Old 12-08-2013, 06:27 AM

What does "epistomology" have to do with your inquiry? Nothing. Wikipedia:
Epistemology (i/ɨˌpɪstɨˈmɒləi/ from Greek ἐπιστήμη, epistēmē, meaning "knowledge, understanding", and λόγος, logos, meaning "study of") is the branch of philosophy concerned with the nature and scope of knowledge[1][2] and is also referred to as "theory of knowledge". It questions what knowledge is and how it can be acquired, and the extent to which knowledge pertinent to any given subject or entity can be acquired.
Much of the debate in this field has focused on the philosophical analysis of the nature of knowledge and how it relates to connected notions such as truth, belief, and justification.
The term "epistemology" was introduced by the Scottish philosopher James Frederick Ferrier (1808–1864).[3]
People are really not as stupid as you think they are, dear. (She put "epistomology" in her search terms).

I had a boyfriend when I was an undergraduate who had gotten badly beaten up by a bunch of rough neighborhood boys, in his youth. His mother said that he was never the same after that, and it seems as if he suffered some sort of brain damage. The result was that he was a pathological liar, which was such a shame because he was so tall and nice looking. But his lying prevents anyone from taking him seriously.

So it's important not to jump on this poor woman--she may be doing the best she can and is just merely delusional. Some kinds of brain damage do cause pathological lying, I have read.

And no, I am not perfect; I make lots of mistakes. I guess the difference is, if someone points out my errors, I'm grateful, rather than resentful. Some people get really angry if you correct them, but right or wrong, we are judged by our use of language. So it is probably a good idea to use language as well as you can and continue learning how to use it.

Last edited by jtaustin; 12-08-2013 at 06:45 AM..

Old 12-08-2013, 11:30 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,206,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
o.

At least do you take your car into a shop with female mechanics?
There is a female manager at a local Jiffy Lube here. They have to work their way up.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:40 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,235,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's been going on for some time now -- and yet you still see women today wearing silly high heels that put them at risk of a ankle fracture, and women still seeming to love shopping for hours. I don't know why. I also see women still not changing their own tires or doing any maintenance on their cars like changing the oil. I still see girls screaming over spiders and acting frilly.
Um, consumerism rules our society and men are at the helm. My husband's wish list of electronics on Amazon is extensive. Further, he never changes his own oil. When people have F/T jobs and families, and can afford it, free time is spent with the family and more interesting projects. I don't kill spiders. Neither does my dh. We capture and release.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:59 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,235,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I think you're way behind the times with this line of thinking. The latest research shows that men and women's brains really are quite different.

Brain 'wired differently' in men and women - Medical News Today

I also think that you don't understand the difference between raising them "equally" and raising them identically.
I'm not sure what the point is here. Sure, our brains are wired differently, but that doesn't have much to do with the OP, which, as I'm understanding it, is giving young girls opportunity and exposure to develop. It is a fact that our physiological development (brain and nervous system) is altered by childhood experience and exposure. This could result in altering how our brains are wired. Beyond that it may change approach, but not capability.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:56 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,745,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'm not sure what the point is here. Sure, our brains are wired differently, but that doesn't have much to do with the OP, which, as I'm understanding it, is giving young girls opportunity and exposure to develop. It is a fact that our physiological development (brain and nervous system) is altered by childhood experience and exposure. This could result in altering how our brains are wired. Beyond that it may change approach, but not capability.
The OP was not giving young girls opportunity etc. Read the last half. It's about raising girls like boys and boys like girls. Or actually raising them all the same; "equally" is the OP's term. This is relevant because it says that there are physical differences between the brains of males and females, so maybe they should be raised differently and not "equally."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy