Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 07:22 AM

329 posts, read 431,747 times

Advertisements

If I pay the cellphone bills of my children or even my grandchildren (family plan), then yes, until you are 18, I will use the GPS in your phone to monitor where you go and when you go there. I do not see where this is even in argument but in my family it has been. I feel that it is the right of a parent to monitor a kid's cellphone GPS and even his or her driving if it is your car or you paid for them a car. If mine are out after hours, I want to know why, where and what they are doing. If they tell me they are going somewhere, I want the ability to verify that is where indeed they are going. And BTW, if it makes them feel any better, they can monitor my phone GPS as well.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:28 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,923,271 times
If that is the relationship you choose to have with your children that is fine with me.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:31 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,767,203 times
It's ok if you want/need to monitor them. I have the features with our plan and the kids know it. I'm lucky I guess that I drop them off and pick them up. If they change plans, they call me. I've yet to feel the need to use those features.

I do monitor usage and what they're doing with the devices rather than their whereabouts. They know that I will ask for their phones/tablets any time and check them.

I won't judge another parent for wanting to keep tabs on their child. After all, when something happens others want to know why the parents weren't aware.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:43 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,256,101 times
I find the monitoring a bit creepy really but meh, if it works for your family then fine. If they don't like it they can always pay for their own phones and cars.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:48 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,203,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WmMeeker View Post
If I pay the cellphone bills of my children or even my grandchildren (family plan), then yes, until you are 18, I will use the GPS in your phone to monitor where you go and when you go there. I do not see where this is even in argument but in my family it has been. I feel that it is the right of a parent to monitor a kid's cellphone GPS and even his or her driving if it is your car or you paid for them a car. If mine are out after hours, I want to know why, where and what they are doing. If they tell me they are going somewhere, I want the ability to verify that is where indeed they are going. And BTW, if it makes them feel any better, they can monitor my phone GPS as well.
Sounds like you can't trust your children to tell you the truth about where they are and where they are going.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:49 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,123,769 times
sounds right to me. soon kids will learn that autonomy only comes with financial responsibility. And if that spurs them to being independent that that can't be a bad thing.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:52 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,123,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sounds like you can't trust your children to tell you the truth about where they are and where they are going.
To be fair dew- do you think kids always tell the truth? I certainly didn't when I was a teen and I know my grown kids didn't when they were teens. No cell phone or GPS or personal computers then but if there had been we would have been all about monitoring. When our "little girls" get phones we will probably use those features. I think it is good to let your kids know they have someone to answer to.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:03 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,476,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WmMeeker View Post
OK....

As for my family...my kids are grown so when they had cell phones as teens this really wasn't an issue because they didn't have smartphones...I'd guess though, that I'd treat them like we did other privileges. We trust you until you give us reason not to. Once you cross that line, you put us in the postition of needing to check/verify. So think about that...Kind of how we felt about snooping in their rooms or other things. That seemed to work for us.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:04 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,476,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
To be fair dew- do you think kids always tell the truth? I certainly didn't when I was a teen and I know my grown kids didn't when they were teens. No cell phone or GPS or personal computers then but if there had been we would have been all about monitoring. When our "little girls" get phones we will probably use those features. I think it is good to let your kids know they have someone to answer to.
Do you think GPS is going to stop kids from lying? With or without GPS and other tracking devices did you and your older kids manage to grow up and become functioning adults and responsible citizens?

Old 11-20-2013, 09:11 AM

329 posts, read 431,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I trust them all but the oldest boy. Done caught him in too many lies and he has been in too much trouble. The other 2 I never even looked at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting