Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 11:32 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,689,486 times

Advertisements

Should Children Be Held Responsible for What Their Parents Do?

A Massachusetts Little League team suspended a 7-year-old boy because his mother missed her shift at a concession stand, leading some critics to question whether the child should really have to pay for the sins of his parent.

ABC News: Mom Skips Out But Her Son's Suspended
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 01:45 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,859,481 times
Hmmm....some good spin that direction. How about the fact that sports aren't free, so if the parents don't pay, the kid can't play?

So while it's a "suspension", from a straight fiscal responsibility standpoint if the parent violates their fiduciary responsibility, their kid should be dropped from the program. To call it "punishing" the kid is a rather blatant spin. How about "a parent failed to fulfill their financial responsibility to keep their kid in a pay-to-play sports program"? Isn't that a more accurate title?

Old 05-18-2008, 06:22 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,240,265 times
Might actually be a good way to teach kids cause and effect or responsibility.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:31 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,826,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Might actually be a good way to teach kids cause and effect or responsibility.
It's the parent that needs to learn that lesson, not the kid in this case.

There isn't a great deal of background information in the story. Why did she miss it? Was it something last minute that came up or did she have enough time to perhaps notify someone? Any prior history of not fulfilling obligations for her son's team?

Old 05-19-2008, 12:15 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,875,747 times
It's not fair to make the boy miss games b/c his mother flaked out. My son is very active in sports and while I do believe parents need to teach their children to be part of a team, I wouldn't want him punished for something I do or don't do. Although if it is something the parents agree to prior to the season, then she knew what she was doing. I hope whatever caused her to miss her shift was worth the shame and disappoint her son is feeling b/c of her choice.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:43 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,572,295 times
I like it.... agree with the sentiments that working the concession is a part of the dues of belonging... if you don't pay the dues you are not in the organization... also agree that the kid seeing this will teach responsibility... belonging the the little league is not a right and if there are membership requirements then so be it....

Old 05-19-2008, 01:40 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,094,228 times
I'm not sure what the mom has an issue with since that was the rule before when she signed her son up.

It's hard to get parents to volunteer for that kind of thing, so she should be paying for it somehow. It's apparently supposed to be a deterrent so that they don't have to worry about who is working the concessions, but it looks like she doesn't see it that way.

If I sign up and show up for my shift, even with all the other things I might have to do, why should another parent be able to decide they can skip out of it?

I think the league might want to change the rules though...like pay $40 for a missed appointment or something instead.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:25 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,572,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post

I think the league might want to change the rules though...like pay $40 for a missed appointment or something instead.
Like the idea and have seen it done two ways - one works one doesn't...

(1) Only the offender pay the extra (e.g. $40) at season end based on not helping... this sets the treasurer or board up to become collectors - not a good situation...

(2) Everyone pay the extra up front as part of registration, then refund the extra to those that actually helped out (make sure the helping out expectations are clear up front)... this way the board and treasurer are in full control of the money and no collection efforts.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:10 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,756,987 times
I'm on a team where there's a family fee (separate check) of $30 up front - they don't cash the check as long as you do your volunteer shifts. Then after you've met your commitment they give it back to you. If you don't - they cash it. I guess they only cash a few each season.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:16 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,932,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT3PM View Post
I never can stand when little ones get hurt over the minds of an adult regardless of the reason. I mean come on he only 7 it does'nt make since. These types of articles just remind me of how much more i must tell my children how much i love them every day and protect them from the darkness that pleague's our world still outside. To even think this is normal show's the cycle or abusive is still alive and well! and most are not even aware of it's present by it's generational convience.
It's not the team hurting the kid, it's the mom who won't fulfill her responsibility. It's going to hit the mom the hardest when it's her kid whining at her incessantly that he isn't getting to play. I support this type of action. I did my own time in volunteer hell in order to allow my kids to play sports, so I know what I'm talking about. Six years of hockey, four years of track...it sucked, but I did it for my kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting