Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:14 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,933,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmMeeker View Post
I trust them all but the oldest boy. Done caught him in too many lies and he has been in too much trouble. The other 2 I never even looked at.
How old is he?

329 posts, read 431,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Do you think GPS is going to stop kids from lying? With or without GPS and other tracking devices did you and your older kids manage to grow up and become functioning adults and responsible citizens?
We did but only because we grew up in a fairly small city that was well supervised by the police. In that city, 11PM curfew meant curfew and the police would haul you home to mom and dad. If it was the first time, just a stern warning. After that, fines.

1,059 posts, read 2,226,215 times
If I felt that I needed GPS and monitoring to track my teenager, there is no way they would be out in a car that I provided. If I didn't trust them no way would I give them a car.

I choose to trust until proven otherwise. My kids are 24 and 15 - so far this has worked. As my older one told the younger one "you will have more freedom than most of your friends, don't blow it, you will regret it"

Old 11-20-2013, 09:20 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,224,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
To be fair dew- do you think kids always tell the truth? I certainly didn't when I was a teen and I know my grown kids didn't when they were teens. No cell phone or GPS or personal computers then but if there had been we would have been all about monitoring. When our "little girls" get phones we will probably use those features. I think it is good to let your kids know they have someone to answer to.
Honesty about where you were and who you were with was (and still is) very important in our family. And it was a matter of courtesy to let everyone know where you were going. Having to track someone was never an issue in our family.

Of course it's important to let your kids know they have someone to answer to. But in our family, that was instilled from a young age. Along with a sense of responsibility and honesty within the family unit. (Think members of a team.) I think if that message gets through at a young age the need for tracking goes way down.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:24 AM

329 posts, read 431,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
How old is he?
He is now 17. My oldest boy but my daughter is 23 and has her own daughter. I don't monitor her and never did. My younger son, no trouble out of him as of yet. But my oldest has been in plenty including being suspended from school 3 times, being caught with liquor and marijuana and attending illegal street races.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:31 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,261,215 times
Quote:
I trust them all but the oldest boy. Done caught him in too many lies and he has been in too much trouble. The other 2 I never even looked at.
Its the ones whose lies you haven't caught that you ought to worry about it...

Old 11-20-2013, 09:32 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,506,023 times
Quote:
He is now 17. My oldest boy but my daughter is 23 and has her own daughter. I don't monitor her and never did. My younger son, no trouble out of him as of yet. But my oldest has been in plenty including being suspended from school 3 times, being caught with liquor and marijuana and attending illegal street races.
Well, if that was my kid he wouldn't have a cell phone and I agree I'd be on him constantly. However, for your typical kid I wouldn't monitor them, especially not at 17, at that point I would hope that the values and rules that we had established over the years had sunk in because adulthood is around the corner and you can't monitor them then.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:36 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,826,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Well, if that was my kid he wouldn't have a cell phone and I agree I'd be on him constantly. However, for your typical kid I wouldn't monitor them, especially not at 17, at that point I would hope that the values and rules that we had established over the years had sunk in because adulthood is around the corner and you can't monitor them then.
Well, mom and dad aren't responsible then. If a minor kid deems monitoring, then monitoring it shall be.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:39 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,938,938 times
All I can think of is that it could be a full-time job to monitor teens - and not a fun one. Of course teens are "up to things." It's kind of terrible for both parties that this technology is available.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:45 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,438,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I find the monitoring a bit creepy really but meh, if it works for your family then fine. If they don't like it they can always pay for their own phones and cars.
I think it's all creepy especially since these are adults we're talking about and it's not the grandparents' job to monitor the grandkids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.