Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 12:24 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmMeeker View Post
If I pay the cellphone bills of my children or even my grandchildren (family plan), then yes, until you are 18, I will use the GPS in your phone to monitor where you go and when you go there. I do not see where this is even in argument but in my family it has been. I feel that it is the right of a parent to monitor a kid's cellphone GPS and even his or her driving if it is your car or you paid for them a car. If mine are out after hours, I want to know why, where and what they are doing. If they tell me they are going somewhere, I want the ability to verify that is where indeed they are going. And BTW, if it makes them feel any better, they can monitor my phone GPS as well.
I use the find my iphone for my daughter all the time and she is in college.

She knows I do it. I am not snooping I just check to see if she is in class or driving before I call or text her.

It was great when she was learning to drive. I could make sure she hadn't had an accident, without bothering her.

She never really goes anywhere shady so it wasn't an issue of "monitoring" but more a way to not worry when she was a few minutes late.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:41 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sounds like you can't trust your children to tell you the truth about where they are and where they are going.
They're kids. If their lips are flapping, there is a good chance they are lying.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:53 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,033 times
So we monitor all children until when? College like one poster? How about on their honeymoon or during their first job interview? Or does the monitoring magically disappear at 18?

My opinion is that as parents it's our job to raise self sufficient adults. Not to cage them in by not trusting them (and also not allowing them to screw up...there's value there too) and then thrusting them out into a world where no one cares if they party till 1am or spend the night at Bobby's house.

If we GPS them to death, never let them make decisions that might be wrong, and then force them to grow up and act independently...well how they are supposed to know how to do that?

Give them a curfew. Require good grades and respectable behavior. Expect them to answer the phone when you call. When they lie ground them and take away the damn phone. But don't infantilize them, you're not doing them or society any favors.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:06 PM

329 posts, read 431,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Do you provide him with a cell phone and car?
I did. He doesn't have a car but I did allow him to use my truck until he got 2 tickets.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:09 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
I feel that it is the right of a parent to monitor a kid's cellphone GPS and even his or her driving if it is your car or you paid for them a car. If mine are out after hours, I want to know why, where and what they are doing. If they tell me they are going somewhere, I want the ability to verify that is where indeed they are going. And BTW, if it makes them feel any better, they can monitor my phone GPS as well.
And soon he is going to be "accidentally forgetting" his phone over at a friend's house when going out or turning the phone off and saying the battery died.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:30 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
They're kids. If their lips are flapping, there is a good chance they are lying.
That is sad. If you expect it, that is likely what will happen.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:31 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sorry to disappoint you but mine are grown and there was never a need to use a tracking device to see where they were.

Yes. There are families with no need to track their children.
I'd like to hear about the stuff they got away with!

I'm not saying all kids are out there doing Benzodiazepine. It's always better to err on the side of caution when it comes to protecting our kids.

That old saying "...do you know where your children are?" Just because they answer their phone, just because that's what they say, doesn't mean you really know where they are.

My dear sweetie has a teen girlzilla who screwed up Hawaii for me for about 9-1/2 months (and 3 days). I'd witness something first hand, he'd ask her about it then come to me and say "she says she didn't do that". Discussion over. Parents are so blind to their own children's behavior.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:49 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Quote:
I did. He doesn't have a car but I did allow him to use my truck until he got 2 tickets.
My suggestion was going to be that if you feel you need to track him just stop letting him use your car (truck). You can also keep him home.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:50 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I have found that kids behave the way their parents expect them to behave. If you expect lies you will probably get them.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Parents are so blind to their own children's behavior.
Or so incredibly clued in that Junior can't get away with half of the stuff he wants to get away with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting