Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 09:09 AM

426 posts, read 791,728 times

Advertisements

The baby's father really hasn't been very suppotive the whole pregnancy so if it were me, I would have my mom there vs him in a heartbeat as well. Sending good thoughts to you and your family for a speedy and healthy delivery. I can't wait to hear the wonderful news
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 09:36 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
She's clearly an adult here and there is obviously nothing you can do about it.
Yes but if she lives with them AND WILL MAKE IT HARDER FOR THEM,they have every right complaining!

Old 05-07-2014, 10:56 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Amen and amen and amen.

When my 19 year old daughter had her baby, she did not allow the father of the baby in the delivery room (he was 18 years old and they were not together by the time the baby was born). I was there, the other grandmother was there, and my daughter's best friend from school.

I know it was his firstborn child too - but like you said, childbirth is intensely personal and graphic. My daughter was not married to this guy and never would be (thank God). And not only that, but her instincts about him were RIGHT (I only wish they'd kicked in before she got pregnant!). He WASN'T good "father material," and he wasn't mature enough to be a dad, let alone be in the delivery room.

He stood right outside the door (where millions of dads over the ages have stood while women tended the business of birth) and held his new daughter a few minutes after she was born.

And before anyone says anything like, "Maybe if he'd actually been in the room when the baby was born, he'd have been a better father," let me just stop you right there and say, "Uhhhhh, no he wouldn't have been." It was his MOTHER and his SISTERS who were most concerned about (and pushing for) a deeper relationship with the baby...they were afraid that he wouldn't follow through (see, they knew him well too!) and that they'd lose their connection with the child. I am proud of my daughter, who has always allowed that family fair access and an unimpeded relationship with the child, in spite of the EXTREME differences in values between our two families. It hasn't always been easy but the bottom line is that we don't want to remove people from her life who claim to love her. If they gradually fade out of her life (like her dad already has and the grandmother is not far behind him unfortunately) it will be by THEIR choice.
Yes, but that's not how we do it now in 2014. And you are making assumptions about what effect it would have had on him. You'll never really know. Studies have shown it has a profound effect all round, including the man having increased respect for women in general, his partner in particular, and better attachment to the child.

Listen, I trust you and your daughter's instinct in this case but as a general rule, just not liking the guy or having judged him wanting is not a good enough reason IMO to deny him that experience.

I don't understand how people (generic) can so casually blow off the father's involvement in the birth of his child like it ain't no thing. I don't care where you are in your relationship with him. It's HIS CHILD TOO.

Men routinely express how the moment they cut their baby's cord changed them forever. Even in this thread. Yet we act like they don't count.

It IS a big deal.

And yes childbirth is intimate, personal, and graphic. But guess what, so is sex. And that particular Elvis has already left the building.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:11 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yes, but that's not how we do it now in 2014. And you are making assumptions about what effect it would have had on him. You'll never really know. Studies have shown it has a profound effect all round, including the man having increased respect for women in general, his partner in particular, and better attachment to the child.

Listen, I trust you and your daughter's instinct in this case but as a general rule, just not liking the guy or having judged him wanting is not a good enough reason IMO to deny him that experience.

I don't understand how people (generic) can so casually blow off the father's involvement in the birth of his child like it ain't no thing. I don't care where you are in your relationship with him. It's HIS CHILD TOO.

Men routinely express how the moment they cut their baby's cord changed them forever. Even in this thread. Yet we act like they don't count.

It IS a big deal.

And yes childbirth is intimate, personal, and graphic. But guess what, so is sex. And that particular Elvis has already left the building.
This thread isn't a generic discussion about labor and delivery practices in 2014.

It's about Jersey's daughter. Jersey explained her daughter's reason. It's a valid one.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:15 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This thread isn't a generic discussion about labor and delivery practices in 2014.

It's about Jersey's daughter. Jersey explained her daughter's reason. That should be good enough.
I was responding to Kathryn's comment. Which was NOT about Jersey's daughter, it was about what "millions of dads have been doing over the ages".

What Jersey is doing is fine.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:18 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
She is being induced on Monday!! Please keep positive thoughts for an uneventful labor and delivery.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
She is being induced on Monday!! Please keep positive thoughts for an uneventful labor and delivery.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:50 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,568 times
Thanks for replying Jersey. That makes sense. Keep us posted!

Old 05-07-2014, 11:13 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Positive thoughts!

Old 05-08-2014, 08:49 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Thanks for the update! Hope everything goes well. Will be thinking about you and your family on Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting