Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 10:14 AM

16,238 posts, read 21,499,524 times

Advertisements

"My child, My rules...End of story."

Only if you live in a bubble. You can't control.
Your child is going to come into contact with lots of people and lots of situations that you would rather not happen.
Friends or classmates that shoplift, do drugs, early exposure to bad language, lewd PDA and other inappropriate behaviors. Best a parent can do is to raise your own children how to handle themselves because you will drive yourself crazy if you try to control what goes on around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 10:17 AM

11,642 posts, read 24,047,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I feel asking the "new" mother not to post her child's pic on facebook was totally appropriate given the Lady was on facebook when she started shooting pics.
The OP did not ask for the recording to be kept off of facebook. She asked her to stop recording.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I once found a video on Youtube of a father and son out on a fishing pier and - small world - in the background of the video were my dh and kids. They just happened to be fishing at the same time.

I can think of plenty of other times when we've gone to amusement parks, museums, the beach where I've managed to capture other people in our family photographs. I'm sure we're in plenty of other people's photos, too.

But it is a little weird for a parent that you don't even know to post a pic of your child and identify him/her by full name. I don't know why a person would do that. Was it a team FB page or something?
One time my son was trying to do some research on a wrestler that he would be facing in a tournament. Since many wrestlers post their matches to YouTube he went there to see if he could find a video of this wrestler. He found a recording of the wrestler that was from the previous year's regional tournament and also found HIMSELF. He was wrestling on an adjacent mat to the wrestler he was researching and his match was inadvertently captured by the person who made the recording.

Like your dh and kids he was not identified in the video. I don't see how the person doing the recording could have avoided getting someone else in the video. At any rate it was funny when my son said "Hey, that's ME on the other mat"

Old 11-02-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I've been amazed at the folks taking such black and white attitudes on this topic. This since of entitlement, overriding a parents request....Just seems very radical to me. That might be a lot more like the attitude of the mother that insisted on taking pictures.....Our children are not a public commodity....My child, My rules...End of story.
If someone wants a picture of their child and someone else does not want them to take the picture because the second person's child is in the frame why is it that person number one is seen to have a sense of entitlement and person number two is not? It seems to me that they have a difference of opinion on what is appropriate. I don't see either person as having a sense of entitlement.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:37 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,422,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
She didn't ask the mother to not post the video to Facebook. She told the mother to not film her daughter. The mother said that she was not going to be posting it on social media, she was just going to show it to her husband. The OP then was worried that the mother's husband could be a sick pedophile.

Paranoia!!!
Read the OP again..
"Well, I can see my daughter in the frame and I'm not very comfortable with you possibly putting it on social media."

Old 11-02-2012, 10:39 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,422,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
If someone wants a picture of their child and someone else does not want them to take the picture because the second person's child is in the frame why is it that person number one is seen to have a sense of entitlement and person number two is not? It seems to me that they have a difference of opinion on what is appropriate. I don't see either person as having a sense of entitlement.
What I am referring to regarding using the term "entitlement"...is exactly what you posted. The person taking the pic is being mostly defended by the majority of the posters on this thread. Like she has more right to take a pic and include the OP's daughter, than the OP has to ask her not too. Does that help ?

And, just curious, because I'm sort of fascinated at the many posts so adamantly defending the "rights" of the picture/film taker over that of the child's parents....Where would those of you defending the "pic" taker draw the line. Where do the parents rights, as a parent start and stranger's right end, in relation to your child...in your opinions?? I am trying to understand how some of you come to your conclusions?? Not trying to be snarky...just trying to get where you're coming from.

And, regarding the utube video's, pics online etc discovered after the fact. If you asked the person to not put your child's pic online, wouldn't you expect them to honor your decision...since you are the parent??

Last edited by JanND; 11-02-2012 at 10:49 AM..

Old 11-02-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
What I am referring to regarding using the term "entitlement"...is exactly what you posted. The person taking the pic is being mostly defended by the majority of the posters on this thread. Like she has more right to take a pic and include the OP's daughter, than the OP has to ask her not too. Does that help ?

And, just curious, because I'm sort of fascinated at the many posts so adamantly defending the "rights" of the picture/film taker over that of the child's parents....Where would those of you defending the "pic" taker draw the line. Where do the parents rights, as a parent start and stranger's right end, in relation to your child...in your opinions?? I am trying to understand how some of you come to your conclusions?? Not trying to be snarky...just trying to get where you're coming from.

And, regarding the utube video's, pics online etc discovered after the fact. If you asked the person to not put your child's pic online, wouldn't you expect them to honor your decision...since you are the parent??
If someone specifically asked me not to put their child's picture online I would honor their request. However, if they asked me not to take the picture because it might wind up online and I told them that it would not wind up online I would still take the picture.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:14 AM

16,238 posts, read 21,499,524 times
"not at all relative to asking another parent not to film or post your child's pic online'
Yeah, it is. You want to control what the other person does. Asking is one thing, demanding or thinking that you can tell someone else what to do is another. Once you put your child into society, in the public, anywhere there are other people, you no longer have total control over what goes on around them.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
When two people's desires clash neither has the absolute right to have things turn out their way.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:49 AM

18,156 posts, read 17,155,129 times
Quote:

It would creep me out if a person was going out of their way to take pictures/videos of *my* kid for no legitimate reason. It would make me very nervous if some random person put pictures of my kid on their own FB page and identified my child by name - as if they *really knew* my kid. Creepy. I don't know why someone would do that.

But if a parent was taking a picture of their own child playing a sport, instrument, whatever and my child just happened to be in the background of the picture, so what? Should parents really not be able to take pictures of their own kids during group sports and performances? That would be sad....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting