Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2012, 08:44 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,500,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
For anyone interested in preventing these issues if you'll read the page, and scroll down you'll see articles and tips and advice. But, for those who don't think a parent should be able to request their child not be photographed and their picture posted on media pages, perhaps a new thread is in order.
cases of social internet sites being used by child preditors - Yahoo! Search Results
Thanks for the tips. I didn't read each article, but skimming through them, most of them discuss teens and social media--how predators troll chatrooms dealing with skateboarding, fashion, or other topics that would interest teens, how they engage and befriend youngsters, often lying about their age and identity, how they collect information about the child through conversations and casual comments made by the child himself. A few of them did warn that predators collect photos of kids, but it seemed to be the kids they have engaged and are communicating with. Nowhere did I see that it is common for predators to collect random photos of children they don't know and stalk those kids. Nor did I see anything about the danger of parents posting their own child's photo on their own social networking site, or the danger to children who may be in those photographs as well. To me, that shows the risk is minimal.

Oddly, I just returned from my child's dance class where the little girls wore their Halloween costumes and danced to Thriller, and all the parents were invited to take pictures. A few, including myself, also recorded the dance. If there had been a parent who didn't want their child photographed, rather than ask the other parents NOT to film, I would expect that parent to remove their child from the scene. They have every right not to allow their child to be photographed. They do not have the right to ask other people not to film a class or event that they have every right to film. I'm glad that all the parents of my dd's classmates were okay with it, and we all have a very precious and cute memory to look back on of our daughters dancing together. If they post it on their facebook, I really don't feel my daughter is in any worse danger than if she performed in front of an audience on stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 09:03 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,424,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Thanks for the tips. I didn't read each article, but skimming through them, most of them discuss teens and social media--how predators troll chatrooms dealing with skateboarding, fashion, or other topics that would interest teens, how they engage and befriend youngsters, often lying about their age and identity, how they collect information about the child through conversations and casual comments made by the child himself. A few of them did warn that predators collect photos of kids, but it seemed to be the kids they have engaged and are communicating with. Nowhere did I see that it is common for predators to collect random photos of children they don't know and stalk those kids. Nor did I see anything about the danger of parents posting their own child's photo on their own social networking site, or the danger to children who may be in those photographs as well. To me, that shows the risk is minimal.

Oddly, I just returned from my child's dance class where the little girls wore their Halloween costumes and danced to Thriller, and all the parents were invited to take pictures. A few, including myself, also recorded the dance. If there had been a parent who didn't want their child photographed, rather than ask the other parents NOT to film, I would expect that parent to remove their child from the scene. They have every right not to allow their child to be photographed. They do not have the right to ask other people not to film a class or event that they have every right to film. I'm glad that all the parents of my dd's classmates were okay with it, and we all have a very precious and cute memory to look back on of our daughters dancing together. If they post it on their facebook, I really don't feel my daughter is in any worse danger than if she performed in front of an audience on stage.
Restating your opinion, over and over is not really productive. You asked for research, I provided it...and you didn't read it. I won't be responding to anymore of your personal diatribes aimed at me...it simply hijacks a thread. Parents have unconditional rights...if they choose to exercise them by asking strangers not to film their children...that is their right.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:14 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,865,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
The only thing I'm arguing is that it is a risk what other might use the photo for.
It's like the bible thumping argument of covering more based on the fact others coul think sexual thoughts about you. Who cares?

People can think whatever they want, someone could see someone else's teenage daughter and think about how thy wanted to tap that but those persons thoughts are private and inside their own head and you have no idea they are thinking it.

People think about crap too much, a pedo walking down the street could think those same thoughts about someone's child and if society goes sound obsessing about that crap were are going to end up crazy paranoid

So we both believe there is little danger of this actually happening, and we both agree that even if it did happen one would likely never know. I just find the idea a little creepy. The difference between us is that I put bathtub kid pics on private and you don't. I would prefer only family see them and you would make it open to whoever (I also do it to protect thier privacy since its not like they are old enough to consent to being nekkid on the net LOL) For that I am "obsessed"? Alrighty then.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:24 PM

4,264 posts, read 6,219,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
So we both believe there is little danger of this actually happening, and we both agree that even if it did happen one would likely never know. I just find the idea a little creepy. The difference between us is that I put bathtub kid pics on private and you don't. I would prefer only family see them and you would make it open to whoever (I also do it to protect thier privacy since its not like they are old enough to consent to being nekkid on the net LOL) For that I am "obsessed"? Alrighty then.
I would not care at all if a fellow dance mom or soccer mom filmed the kids at rehearsal or at practice and put it on FB. I would never ever put naked photos of my kids on FB, even set to private. Not ever.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:26 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,500,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Restating your opinion, over and over is not really productive. You asked for research, I provided it...and you didn't read it. I won't be responding to anymore of your personal diatribes aimed at me...it simply hijacks a thread. Parents have unconditional rights...if they choose to exercise them by asking strangers not to film their children...that is their right.
Ok...thought it was a discussion, not a diatrabe. Also thought I was discussing an issue with someone who could handle a difference of opinion in a reasonable manner. If I was mistaken, then yes, it is best you don't respond anymore. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:56 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,865,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I would not care at all if a fellow dance mom or soccer mom filmed the kids at rehearsal or at practice and put it on FB. I would never ever put naked photos of my kids on FB, even set to private. Not ever.
Okay. LOL

To be clear, I'm just talking about a pic of my kid sitting in the bubble bath when she was 2, covered rather adorably in bubbles that she got all over everything, including the walls. Nothing vital is showing. I don't take full frontal nekkid pictures. But yeah, set on private is enough for me. It's all good.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:36 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,217,245 times
Hard to believe there are people like this in the world.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:35 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,778,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post

That is ok for you if you approve of your child getting in someone elese's picture but if you didn't want them in another child's picture then I think you request to not have him/her in it should be respected.

I am not saying people are not allowed to put pics of their children on FB or some other site I am saying people should not be allowed to when another person (parent) request it not be done with their child included. I don't think any parent should post their children on FB or other sites but that doesn't me I would force them not to unless they refuse to respect my wishes to not have my child included or someone elses child inlcluded when they requested not to.

That is my whole point. I don't trust the so called security on FB and other sites. I also don't keep online back ups or picture sites with all my photo's I keeep them private on my own disk/device. I hope I am wrong thinking it's not safe to put the children on FB and other sites because I never ever want to find that parents here had something horrible happen to their child because of bad security on FB and other sites. I never ever want something like that to happen to anyone let alone people here that I have conversed with on this site. I see you all as human beings even though I never met any of you. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone here and yes I do know I cannot trust every one but still you are all human beings who love your children and I am just trying to let you all know I care about what happens to your children and I respect the OP's desire to request his child not be included. His feelings and wanting to protect his child should be respected too.

I find it hard to believe any parent would dare be that stupid to take nude photo's of their child and post it on the internet but then the way some people are today who knows.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Okay. LOL

To be clear, I'm just talking about a pic of my kid sitting in the bubble bath when she was 2, covered rather adorably in bubbles that she got all over everything, including the walls. Nothing vital is showing. I don't take full frontal nekkid pictures. But yeah, set on private is enough for me. It's all good.
A picture like that is priceless.

I would not recommend posting it on FB or other sites but then again you may not think it could be harmful. Would you want to be forced to stop the way some people want the parent who does not want their child in it to be forced to allow it? It goes both ways

See I don't trust that set to private that's why I don't agree that children should be posted on FB. I just don't trust the FB security or the security of other sites and I don't trust that someone would not send those pics to someone else I don't know and then it goes from there to who knows where. I agree with the OP and I think the OP's request should be respected...he has a right not to have his child's picture posted just as you have a right to post your child's picture.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:03 AM

What is so impossible a task as to simply fuzz out the other children that get in your childs picture? If the parent of the other child doesn't make the request then don't worry about it but when they specificially ask it then respect it. I would simply fuzz out the other children to be on the safe side, and no I am not talking about stalker safety or using it for some other purpose, I'm talking about being safe from a lawsuit for posting someone elses child and their parent found out. I wouldn't chance it and truthfully why would I want someone else's child mixed in it. When you're posting to friends and family about your child there's really no need to have someone elsed kid in it. Respect the parents who want their child in the picture posted but also respect the parent who doesn't. You can all say oh well they aren't safe with a lot in life well I say why take the chance by adding to just because you want your entertainment and show off what you have. That's the bottom line as to why people post their children's pics and deep down we all know. Nobody posts their children because the baby likes it no it's because the parent wants it.

To the poster who brought up, forget who it was now, about posting pics on photo sites like flicker. The parent who request's not to have their child posted on FB or some other site with their child really shouldn't if they do the same with theirs on an online photo site. Although it's not as risky because sites like for example flicker aren't ususally shared with nearly everyone they know. Still I think you brought up a very good point. I agree if you do that then they shouldn't say anything their child being posted but they may not feel/think the same way and I would still respect them and not post them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting