Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2012, 12:16 PM

11,642 posts, read 24,047,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy84 View Post
It isn't a public place, I'm assuming it is a privately owned dance studio. Public school athletics is not the same as an activity that this parent probably pays a lot of money for.
I don't think it matters. I am not sure. I will see if I can find something but I don't think you have any expectation of privacy in a group instructional situation (regardless of cost).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 01:01 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,865,971 times
The danger in posting kid pics on the Internet is not in someone tracking them down in real life, it's that peodophile a can download the pictures and get their jollies off them, perhaps passing around faves to other peodophiles. So bathtub pics, bathing suit pics, short shorts, or things ripe for photoshopping or dirty minds like kids drinking from a soda bottle... people should be cautious about what is actually in the picture IMO. Even then they are not likely to track the child down, but still.

That said I personally don't worry about this TOO much since I believe the odds are pretty slim, I just stay away from too much skin in the pics though I admit I've made exceptions. Mostly I set my kid's facebook pics on private or family only and consider the problem solved.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:42 PM

6,190 posts, read 8,015,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
The danger in posting kid pics on the Internet is not in someone tracking them down in real life, it's that peodophile a can download the pictures and get their jollies off them, perhaps passing around faves to other peodophiles. So bathtub pics, bathing suit pics, short shorts, or things ripe for photoshopping or dirty minds like kids drinking from a soda bottle... people should be cautious about what is actually in the picture IMO. Even then they are not likely to track the child down, but still.

That said I personally don't worry about this TOO much since I believe the odds are pretty slim, I just stay away from too much skin in the pics though I admit I've made exceptions. Mostly I set my kid's facebook pics on private or family only and consider the problem solved.
Do you hear yourself type???? (lol)

Who cares if someone gets their jollies off to a pic, you have no idea its happening when it happens, you only assume it could happen.

You have no idea if/when at all it's even happening so how can it bother you?

Old 10-30-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Do you hear yourself type???? (lol)

Who cares if someone gets their jollies off to a pic, you have no idea its happening when it happens, you only assume it could happen.

You have no idea if/when at all it's even happening so how can it bother you?
Huh? Did you even read what I wrote?

I said I don't worry about it very much and that I simply set my kids' pics on FB to "friends only" or "family only" and call it a day. Most parents do somethng along those lines. I'm not even especially vigilant about not posting bathing suit type pics though I try to keep it in mind. I don't think there is much chance of anything happening frankly.

All I was trying to say that if there was any danger from posting kid pics on the Internet it was THAT, and not some random stranger tracking down your kid.

Did you confuse me with the OP or something?

Old 10-30-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Huh? Did you even read what I wrote?

I said I don't worry about it very much and that I simply set my kids' pics on FB to "friends only" or "family only" and call it a day. Most parents do somethng along those lines. I'm not even especially vigilant about not posting bathing suit type pics though I try to keep it in mind. I don't think there is much chance of anything happening frankly.

All I was trying to say that if there was any danger from posting kid pics on the Internet it was THAT, and not some random stranger tracking down your kid.

Did you confuse me with the OP or something?
No but is that even a danger??
Who is it harming? No one is hurt.

You could google a fully clothed person and get your jollies off just by imagination, that person isn't going to wake from and dead sleep or get spidey senses and be like omg someone just jerked off to me in a parka we must summon batman now!!!!!

Old 10-30-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
No but is that even a danger??
Who is it harming? No one is hurt.

You could google a fully clothed person and get your jollies off just by imagination, that person isn't going to wake from and dead sleep or get spidey senses and be like omg someone just jerked off to me in a parka we must summon batman now!!!!!
I'm not sure why you keep arguing with me, unless the phrase "I don't think there is much chance of that happening frankly" is ambiguous. LOL

I guess I should make it clearer? I think there is virtually no chance a stranger will hunt down a child from the background of a picture on the Internet. I think there is a better chance of a pedo jerking off to a picture where your child is front and center, BUT I DON'T THINK THAT IS VERY LIKELY EITHER. Basically, both are tiny risks, but one more than the other. I at least put pics on private as a tiny nod to the issue. The end.

No I wouldn't know, but I do find the idea creepy so it's worth making the pictures private since it takes like 2 seconds. LOL

Old 10-30-2012, 04:43 PM

The only thing I'm arguing is that it is a risk what other might use the photo for.
It's like the bible thumping argument of covering more based on the fact others coul think sexual thoughts about you. Who cares?

People can think whatever they want, someone could see someone else's teenage daughter and think about how thy wanted to tap that but those persons thoughts are private and inside their own head and you have no idea they are thinking it.

People think about crap too much, a pedo walking down the street could think those same thoughts about someone's child and if society goes sound obsessing about that crap were are going to end up crazy paranoid

Old 10-30-2012, 04:56 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,424,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
None involving a photograph of a child in the background of someone else's picture...again, these are children who had contact with predators online. I'm not saying there's not danger in social media sites, but I don't think a parent's picture of their child with other children in the background is the danger. Jmo.
For anyone interested in preventing these issues if you'll read the page, and scroll down you'll see articles and tips and advice. But, for those who don't think a parent should be able to request their child not be photographed and their picture posted on media pages, perhaps a new thread is in order.
cases of social internet sites being used by child preditors - Yahoo! Search Results

Old 10-30-2012, 04:56 PM

26,474 posts, read 22,632,145 times
I am wondering if the OP is comfortable with your child being in the dance class/recital and if that isn't a part of the problem. A pedophile or two or twelve could have been seated in the audience, could have been waiting backstage and we all have to decide what we want to expose our kids to. I understand the statement about the children being adopted since ours was a private adoption and the birthmother moved within 30 minutes of our house - out of the blue so we did not allow the schools to release "media" photos of our son. I don't believe though that I would have brought up to the OP but that I would have told that I would try to keep her daughter out of the photo. Still, it feels like the OP isn't comfortable with having the daughter in the dance class and maybe with good reason. If this interferes with school functions, etc., OP may need to talk it over with a counselor. Maybe something in the past of the OP? Lots of pervs out there for sure.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:00 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,424,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I am wondering if the OP is comfortable with your child being in the dance class/recital and if that isn't a part of the problem. A pedophile or two or twelve could have been seated in the audience, could have been waiting backstage and we all have to decide what we want to expose our kids to. I understand the statement about the children being adopted since ours was a private adoption and the birthmother moved within 30 minutes of our house - out of the blue so we did not allow the schools to release "media" photos of our son. I don't believe though that I would have brought up to the OP but that I would have told that I would try to keep her daughter out of the photo. Still, it feels like the OP isn't comfortable with having the daughter in the dance class and maybe with good reason. If this interferes with school functions, etc., OP may need to talk it over with a counselor. Maybe something in the past of the OP? Lots of pervs out there for sure.
I personally think it has more to do w/ a stranger taking her daughters picture and sitting on her facebook at the same time...I don't think there has to be qualifiers or other issues to validate the OP. Asking another parent to not put your child's picture on facebook or any other social media site should be enough...end of story. The issue is the other lady's reaction to being asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting