Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 03:59 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,135,651 times

Advertisements

On the issue of assuming the other mom's husband *could* be a sick pedophile, she might make the assumption that the reason *you* did not want your child photographed was that you had kidnapped her and she was not really your child. See how that works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 04:13 PM

271 posts, read 995,624 times
Ok...... I'm b a c k!!!!
It's been a long week with school and after school activities for my 3 kids (including a concussion for my oldest)....the fun times never end!!!!

I NEVER thought my simple question would start such a firestorm of divided responses!!!! Clearly people are very polarized on this issue. Who knew?

Here are some answers to questions inquiring minds want to know:

1. Does the OP get out much?
Not really. Does grocery store, after school activities, drop off/pick up at school, dry cleaners and Walgreens count?

2. Will I now require my children to wear a paper bag over their heads?
Maybe. Will that cut my kids' haircut and orthodontist bills?

3. What does Honey Boo Boo have to do with anything?
Nothing really. I just thought I would spice up my story with a popular cultural reference. It's called figurative language.
(I learned that this week in my 5th grader's English homework).

4. Am I paranoid?
Probably. I grew up in Los Angeles and my Midwest born and raised husband still doesn't understand why I always have to lock the door at home. He's been locked out more than once when out watering the lawn.

5. Did I talk to the dance owner?
Actually, yes. She first offered me something to drink (totally true) and then went on to tell me that this particular Honey Boo Boo Mama had been causing her grief for some time now. Apparently, I'm not the first who has complained about her "abrupt" manner (her words not mine).

6. Will I keep my children from being in the yearbook?
Only if it guarantees I won't have to pay $50 for it.

7. Am I entitled?
I don't think so.... I could be wrong... I don't know. But I do know that I have a right to protect my children from anyone or any situation that causes me to take pause. I'd like to think I have a hyper-sensitive Mom-Intuition thing going (probably goes back to the whole L.A. paranoia thing).

8. Why did I make such a big stink about all of this?
Full moon, maybe? Maybe I was just bored and wanted to liven up the dance studio a bit.

9. No, really. Why the big whoop?
I don't know......I just wasn't really thrilled to have this lady I had never met film her son with my kid in the shot. I really didn't think asking her "PLEASE" not to do so would bunch her panties up. I honestly felt (and still do) that my request to her "parent-to-parent" would be respected. I guess I was WRONG!

10. Would I do it again?
Absolutely.

I hope these answers quell some of the burning questions out there regarding my mental stability and ability to function in society. Maybe we can now focus on some other pressing issues on the Parenting forum. The child-leash thread looks pretty interesting...... Or maybe I can start a new one.....
Is raiding your kid's Halloween stash ethical or practical? Discuss......

Last edited by flourpower; 11-02-2012 at 04:25 PM..

Old 11-02-2012, 05:09 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,116,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourpower View Post
The other day I was at my daughter's dance class. A mom who's child was new to the class was also there. During the class, the parents sit outside of the dance studio behind a one-way window to watch their kids in class. Since I was sitting behind the other mom, I could see that she was "Facebooking" on her phone. Then she switched the camera on the phone and began to film her child in the class. My daughter was in the frame of the shot, and I said "Please don't film my daughter". She got very angry and retorted "I'm not. I'm filming my kid". To which I replied, "Well, I can see my daughter in the frame and I'm not very comfortable with you possibly putting it on social media." She then said, "Well, only my husband will see this. My kids are adopted and I never put them on any social media and you could have asked me in a nicer way."
First of all, I don't know if her husband is a sick pedophile. She actually looked like Honey Boo-Boo's mom (I'm NOT even kidding!!!). Second of all, what difference does it make if her kids are adopted or not? I don't understand what that has to do with putting them on social media vs. a kid who is not adopted. Protecting kids and keeping them safe should be done regardless if they are adopted or biological. I don't get it???? Lastly, I think saying "please don't film my daugher" is polite enough.
Can someone please weigh in on this. Is it unreasonable to ask someone (a complete stranger) to not film your child without your permission?????
First, it's her right to film what ever she wants in a public place like a dance studio (if the owners allow it).

Second, she wasn't filming your child. She was filming her child.

Third, your reaction was not polite. I think you were incredibly rude and way out of line to ask someone to stop filming their own child in a dance class, and for trying to deprive the father the opportunity to see his child dance.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 11-02-2012 at 05:24 PM..

Old 11-02-2012, 05:28 PM

4,264 posts, read 6,220,281 times
OP, I don't agree with you on asking the woman in question to stop photographing but I always appreciate a good sense of humor so thanks for your last post and clearing up all of those loose threads.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,471,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
OP, I don't agree with you on asking the woman in question to stop photographing but I always appreciate a good sense of humor so thanks for your last post and clearing up all of those loose threads.
Ditto.

Though upon learning you're from L.A. I've decided your one of the few Angelenos who doesn't want her child on camera.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:36 PM

18,184 posts, read 17,155,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I agree.

In regards to Halloween candy - if you were the parent who walked the neighborhood with the kiddos, I believe that you are, indeed, entitled to a small share of the goodies.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:41 PM

16,239 posts, read 21,499,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I agree.

In regards to Halloween candy - if you were the parent who walked the neighborhood with the kiddos, I believe that you are, indeed, entitled to a small share of the goodies.
...which you justify by telling yourself that you will only take the ones the kiddos don't like.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:18 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,424,486 times
Glad your back OP. I have been taking lots of heat for defending you....lol. Like your humor too.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:26 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,533,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourpower View Post
Ok...... I'm b a c k!!!!
It's been a long week with school and after school activities for my 3 kids (including a concussion for my oldest)....the fun times never end!!!!

I NEVER thought my simple question would start such a firestorm of divided responses!!!! Clearly people are very polarized on this issue. Who knew?

Here are some answers to questions inquiring minds want to know:

1. Does the OP get out much?
Not really. Does grocery store, after school activities, drop off/pick up at school, dry cleaners and Walgreens count?

2. Will I now require my children to wear a paper bag over their heads?
Maybe. Will that cut my kids' haircut and orthodontist bills?

3. What does Honey Boo Boo have to do with anything?
Nothing really. I just thought I would spice up my story with a popular cultural reference. It's called figurative language.
(I learned that this week in my 5th grader's English homework).

4. Am I paranoid?
Probably. I grew up in Los Angeles and my Midwest born and raised husband still doesn't understand why I always have to lock the door at home. He's been locked out more than once when out watering the lawn.

5. Did I talk to the dance owner?
Actually, yes. She first offered me something to drink (totally true) and then went on to tell me that this particular Honey Boo Boo Mama had been causing her grief for some time now. Apparently, I'm not the first who has complained about her "abrupt" manner (her words not mine).

6. Will I keep my children from being in the yearbook?
Only if it guarantees I won't have to pay $50 for it.

7. Am I entitled?
I don't think so.... I could be wrong... I don't know. But I do know that I have a right to protect my children from anyone or any situation that causes me to take pause. I'd like to think I have a hyper-sensitive Mom-Intuition thing going (probably goes back to the whole L.A. paranoia thing).

8. Why did I make such a big stink about all of this?
Full moon, maybe? Maybe I was just bored and wanted to liven up the dance studio a bit.

9. No, really. Why the big whoop?
I don't know......I just wasn't really thrilled to have this lady I had never met film her son with my kid in the shot. I really didn't think asking her "PLEASE" not to do so would bunch her panties up. I honestly felt (and still do) that my request to her "parent-to-parent" would be respected. I guess I was WRONG!

10. Would I do it again?
Absolutely.

I hope these answers quell some of the burning questions out there regarding my mental stability and ability to function in society. Maybe we can now focus on some other pressing issues on the Parenting forum. The child-leash thread looks pretty interesting...... Or maybe I can start a new one.....
Is raiding your kid's Halloween stash ethical or practical? Discuss......

OP - I think you're totally paranoid and wrong but funny I think you should stick around.

Oh and the Halloween candy is totally fair game.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:48 PM

271 posts, read 995,624 times
Thank you, JanND.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting