Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 11:49 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,572,801 times

Advertisements

I've been (still am) traveling. Today, as I was taking photos at an historic venue, I stuggled to position myself for some good photo shots. I know for certain my shots included all kinds of people. Some children included. I thought of this thread -not one person seemed concerned (or frankly even noticed) that they and/or their children might end up in someone's photo album. Perhaps on Facebook even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 12:37 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,496,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I've been (still am) traveling. Today, as I was taking photos at an historic venue, I stuggled to position myself for some good photo shots. I know for certain my shots included all kinds of people. Some children included. I thought of this thread -not one person seemed concerned (or frankly even noticed) that they and/or their children might end up in someone's photo album. Perhaps on Facebook even.
That's why I'm surprised that someone would be concerned or upset about this. Cameras are everywhere. I've taken pictures of my dd at numerous classes, dance recitals, at the county fair, at playgrounds and parks, at city festivals, at the beach, amusement parks...all public places with other people in the background of the pictures. Never once has anyone expressed concern over me taking pictures, or needed to know exactly what I was doing with them. I've also never felt the need to take my kid and run when I see other parents doing the same. It would be different if someone were peering into your windows with a camera, or filming your child walking to school or something creepy like that. But the panic I'm seeing over a PARENT filming their own child in a public place is just astrounding. I hope they're not a lot of people who feel like that. I would hate to have my ability to create memories of special moments in my child's life taken away by paranoid parents who feel every person is out to do their child harm.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:04 PM

36 posts, read 59,392 times
I didn't read all of the comments -- too many pages by this later point.

Frankly, I do not see why filming your child is considered to be a big deal. This happens all the time with elementary school students at plays, musicals, and the like. Unless you've spotted the video on YouTube or something without appropriate permissions of release, then that would seriously be a cause of concern.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:30 PM

3,487 posts, read 4,577,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Subjective, agreed. But a parent's request should be honored.

Key word, should. Should is subject to personal opinions and people will act according to what they think it is OK. So the parent opinion in taking pictures is not supposed to be honored?

Arguably many folks disagree. So disagreeing doesn't make not honoring a parents request right. The picture taker could have adjusted her position to get the other child out of frame...what's the big deal, really.
Could have adjusted? How do you know if the angle of the picture was the one she preferred? "what's the big deal, really" What is the big deal with the OP also?
Notice that it is a matter of personal opinions. This topic will not have a 100% agreement because it is based on personal values/opinions. This is not a topic that just covers facts like 2+2=4. Facts are usually not subject to values, they are just facts. However, this topic is based on personal opinions the best agreement between opposing views are to agree to disagree.

You give me a kudos comment that said "a parent's request should be honored period. My explanation is no better owr worse than your atatement. jannd"

I admit that was weird to me that you give me this opposing reply with in the rate positively section, thanks though.

"No better or worse" is subjective, your view and that is fine but it does not prove the point either way.

Now, going back to the point instead of rating opinions:
1. The OP asked for opinions. I gave one, correct? If you did not like it, well, that is OK. I have come across with some topic where the OP gives a personal situation and asks the readers what we think. Once you do that it is open for all kinds of negative/positive comments. If the reader request she wants only responses she wants to hear, say so with the understanding that the request may not be honored. Some of those around at time take the issue personal.

2. When we make a decision and act on it we do that with the understanding that there are risks involved however small they may be. The OP decided to have her child in the middle of a lot of other children and their parent around also. That is the bottom line. All the parents have differing views on when to take photos and when not to. The OP has her concerns about child safety, nothing wrong with that but the other parent does not see anything wrong with it. Did she violate any laws on the issue? Not that I know of.

3. The OP had choices. She could have taken her kids out of the practice, request the teacher not to allow picture taking, not bring her kids to class anymore, etc. The point is that the photo taker had as much a right to take pictures in a situation that thousands of parents do everyday across the nation and it does not seem to be a major problem. However, if that bothered her, the solution so her concern is covered is not to have her child around other children for fear of picture taking.

Nothing wrong with the parent stating her request but that request did not have to be honored because she has her opinions on the issue. Who is right and who is wrong? No 100% agreement as we can see.

Did not like it I said I think the OP was paranoid? I thought she was. I was weird or bizarre on my views? OK, I am not going to go into convulsions about it. Life goes on. Take care.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:56 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,355,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This may be off topic...my daughter routinely asks parents if she can take pictures of their kids...she loves pictures of children playing. She recently entered some photos of kids playing in a creek....and won an award. No one has ever been offended or said no to her request.
The difference being, she asked. And, I'll just bet, if anyone had said No...that your daughter would have graciously accepted that. I personally think asking someone to point the camera from a different angle in a closer shot shouldn't be considered a federal offense. Just as the parent who decides to take a pic of their own child has that right, another parent has the same right not to allow them to take a picture of their child. None of this should be so hard to imagine being able to work through This thread has been sort of a surprise for the controversy it is imo. Who knew...

Old 11-06-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Box View Post
I didn't read all of the comments -- too many pages by this later point.

Frankly, I do not see why filming your child is considered to be a big deal. This happens all the time with elementary school students at plays, musicals, and the like. Unless you've spotted the video on YouTube or something without appropriate permissions of release, then that would seriously be a cause of concern.
That is actually what the OP asked. She did not want her child's picture posted on facebook. And, the controversy has been amazing...
I posted a link to another thread about taking children's pictures. Professional photographers are making points and discussing those same issues. They also mention permission and releases.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:34 PM

16,216 posts, read 21,390,855 times
Yes, they mention that permission and releases are not legally required except for commercial purposes.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Yes, they mention that permission and releases are not legally required except for commercial purposes.
That isn't what I read. https://www.city-data.com/forum/photo...ds-public.html

Old 11-06-2012, 06:09 PM

16,216 posts, read 21,390,855 times
I read that entire thread. I've also read about this subject in some depth because of my sons photography hobby. It is not illegal to photograph children in public places.

Privacy issues

Further information: Privacy laws of the United States
  • Members of the public have virtually no privacy rights when they are in public places. Basically, anyone can be photographed without consent except when they have secluded themselves in places where they have a reasonable expectation of privacy such as dressing rooms, restrooms, medical facilities, or inside a private residence. This legal standard applies regardless of the age, sex, or other attributes of the individual.- wiki

Old 11-06-2012, 06:24 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,859,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Yes, that is what you read. A link to the thread really doesn't make your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting