Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 01:53 PM

162 posts, read 360,820 times

Advertisements

OP, you must not get out much. It is near impossible to have a child and not have the child in someone else's pictures.

In some societies, it is perfectly normal to take pictures of cute kids you don't know. My kids have had their picture taken all over the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 02:01 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,355,243 times
Participating and reading others opinions in an open forum is a choice. I have expressed my opinions. Period. I believe the OP had every right to tell the other parent that she did not want her daughter filmed, and didn't expect to be snarked at for requesting this.
OP, any updates?? I'd like to hear your responses to your thread.

Last edited by JanND; 11-02-2012 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: edit text

Old 11-02-2012, 02:11 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,079,354 times
The OP has the right to say anything she wants, the other mother has a right to ignore her. It seems that the parent filming was not breaking the law so the OP is SOL if the parent filming the class doesn't stop. But really, there was no excuse for people to get rude and snarky, on both sides.

Now if the studio tells her to stop then she has to stop, whether they post a "no photos/videos" or not. It is what you call private property but with public access. It is all up to the property owner not the nervous parent, sorry.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:21 PM

17,720 posts, read 16,883,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Participating and reading others opinions in an open forum is a choice. I have expressed my opinions. Period. I believe the OP had every right to tell the other parent that she did not want her daughter filmed, and didn't expect to be snarked at for requesting this.
OP, any updates?? I'd like to hear your responses to your thread.
Usually dance students participate in a full dress performance at some point - on stage. Are you suggesting that the other parents should not be able to photograph/videotape the performance just because this *one* mom doesn't want pics of her child taken? That seems very, very excessive to me.

(Not trying to give you a hard time JanND! Just trying to understand your POV.)

Last edited by springfieldva; 11-02-2012 at 02:29 PM..

Old 11-02-2012, 02:29 PM

4,264 posts, read 6,206,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Usually dance students participate in a full dress performance at some point - on stage. Are you suggesting that the other parents should not be able to photograph/videotape the performance just because this *one* mom doesn't want pics of her child taken? That seems very, very excessive to me.
Exactly what I was thinking. When my daughter had her dance recital it was hard to see the stage over all of the cameras and video recorders and smart phones. Everyone was videotaping. I wonder how a parent who doesn't' want their child videotaped deal with that. Frantically run to each parent and say, "please stop taping my child"?

To me this is a non-issue because I know that I can't control everything in the world. I recognize that the possibility of my child being in the background of another person's photograph or video is likely at some point during their life and in 99.9% of cases their image being in the photo or video will be completely harmless and probably even go unnoticed by anyone viewing the photo or video. I realize that this not something that I have any control over so I'm going to choose to not worry about it and save that energy for something more productive, like teaching my child how to navigate social media in as safe as a manner as possible.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:41 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,355,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post

(Not trying to give you a hard time JanND! Just trying to understand your POV.)
Thank you. I will try to give my point of view. Perhaps I'm not coming across. I am simply taking issue w/ folks acting like a parent doesn't have the right to request that their child not be filmed. I honestly feel that a parent of a child has that right. It has nothing to do w/ people filming their own children....
I understand the obvious ramifications for group programs etc. And, group shots would have to be edited accordingly.
But, if I were filming my granddaughter, and a mother asked me not to get her child in the shot I would make the necessary adjustments. If that meant taking a shot of my granddaughter separately, so be it. My wants would not take precedent over the parent's of the other child. This would be regardless of my personal opinion of the other parent, or whether I thought she was being paranoid. The parent has the say in this situation about her own child. I appreciate your opinions...also.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:48 PM

11,642 posts, read 24,006,637 times
Quote:
Thank you. I will try to give my point of view. Perhaps I'm not coming across. I am simply taking issue w/ folks acting like a parent doesn't have the right to request that their child not be filmed. I honestly feel that a parent of a child has that right. It has nothing to do w/ people filming their own children....
I understand the obvious ramifications for group programs etc. And, group shots would have to be edited accordingly.
But, if I were filming my granddaughter, and a mother asked me not to get her child in the shot I would make the necessary adjustments. If that meant taking a shot of my granddaughter separately, so be it. My wants would not take precedent over the parent's of the other child. This would be regardless of my personal opinion of the other parent, or whether I thought she was being paranoid. The parent has the say in this situation about her own child. I appreciate your opinions...also.
People have the right to request anything they like. That doesn't mean other people are going to comply with their request. In some cases it is not possible to edit photography so that no other people are in the shot besides your own child. In a public place a parent does NOT have a say in whether their child is photographed. That means at sporting events other parents have every right to photograph whomever they like.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:52 PM

17,720 posts, read 16,883,026 times
Quote:
It can be hard to get a good shot of your own child during these situations. The kids are moving around all over the place, audience members are standing up and shifting positions. There are other cameras and camcorders in the way...and then to worry about trying NOT to get some other kid in the shot, is that even doable?

I'm just confused as to why a parent would allow their child to a perform in front of other people but then balk at pictures being taken by the crowd...

Old 11-02-2012, 03:02 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,763,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourpower View Post
The other day I was at my daughter's dance class. A mom who's child was new to the class was also there. During the class, the parents sit outside of the dance studio behind a one-way window to watch their kids in class... Then she switched the camera on the phone and began to film her child in the class. My daughter was in the frame of the shot, and I said "Please don't film my daughter".
The other mom should have said, "please enroll your kid in private lessons".

Quote:
First of all, I don't know if her husband is a sick pedophile.
Perhaps it's too obvious to point out that she doesn't know that you aren't one either.

What if she suddenly asked the person running the lessons to remove you from the observation area because she didn't "know" that you weren't one?

Quote:
She actually looked like Honey Boo-Boo's mom (I'm NOT even kidding!!!).
Totally irrelevant.

Quote:
Second of all, what difference does it make if her kids are adopted or not?
Doesn't make any more difference than you making the silly statement about what she looked like.

Quote:
Protecting kids and keeping them safe should be done regardless if they are adopted or biological.
Kids get videoed all the time doing a billion different things. All you have to do is watch the evening news and it's almost assured that there will be some news story about something going on at some school, big event, parade, game, or whatever, that will have some random footage of people, including those who are not of the majority. Is the news therefore conspiring to jeopardize childrens' safety by showing the picture of some kids at a baseball game?

Quote:
Lastly, I think saying "please don't film my daugher" is polite enough.
What she said to you is polite "enough" too.

Quote:
Can someone please weigh in on this. Is it unreasonable to ask someone (a complete stranger) to not film your child without your permission?????
No more or less unreasonable than her telling you that she's going to keep filming her own daughter.

Last edited by 43north87west; 11-02-2012 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 11-02-2012, 03:57 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,065,029 times
Quote:
This wasn't a photo where the adjustment can be easily made. It was a video of a performance and on a phone which means you cannot easily adjust the shot so one child is not in it.

If the mom does not want her child in the frame, she can have her child move to an area away from the other child, but it is not easy to video a performance and crop someone out. I do have software that allows for editing, but it is not something you can do in real time on a phone.

If your child is in any performance, you have to expect other parents whose children are also in the performance will be photographing and taping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting