Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 11:19 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,253,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Personally I think there should be a facebook setting that either does not allow tagging. or requires your ok to be tag'ed. But you can ID and not tag pictures that don't tag back to the facebook account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
There is.
As Kibbiekat so kindly mentioned, there is. What is of bigger concern is that you aren't aware of them and are participating in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 08:45 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,289,401 times
Think of another scenario. Your kid is on the HS basketball team, and the parent of another player wants to video their son playing in a game. Do you have a right to ask or insist that your son not be in their video?

Old 11-05-2012, 10:59 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,246,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Personally I think there should be a facebook setting that either does not allow tagging. or requires your ok to be tag'ed. But you can ID and not tag pictures that don't tag back to the facebook account.
There already is. Go into your privacy settings and scroll down to timeline and tagging. Press the edit settings. You can edit who can see posts you've been tagged in and also review a tag before it's posted on your timeline.

My dd was in dance, sports, riding competion for years. I can't begin to count the thousands of of children I've filmed over the years.

Last edited by kahncss; 11-05-2012 at 11:25 AM..

Old 11-05-2012, 02:00 PM

3,487 posts, read 4,571,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I've been amazed at the folks taking such black and white attitudes on this topic. This since of entitlement, overriding a parents request....Just seems very radical to me. That might be a lot more like the attitude of the mother that insisted on taking pictures.....Our children are not a public commodity....My child, My rules...End of story.
If your child is in a public setting, not inside the house, it is public. Slice it anyway you want, it is public. If you do not want your child to be in any picture as it is in the setting mentioned in the OP, then have the child out of the the class so other parents can take pictures as they wish. Another possibility may be if the teacher or if it is on a recital to not allow parents to not take picture during the show or the class. As long as they are in a public setting it is public as I said, end of story also. Your rules? I agree but the rule you can apply is to take your child out of the setting, not telling others not to take pictures because they are around yours in a PUBLIC setting.

I know there is no way to prevent others from taking pics randomly in public...No one is being paranoid. I actually find some of these posters who are totally going off on the OP to be exhibiting some real bizarre attitudes...
A subjective issues, some do find it bizarre for the OP going that far on the issue. Opinions are like anuses, everybody has one.

OP wasn't out on a city street....But the OP was discussing her child, in a closed dance lesson and another Mother, new to the class ...I feel asking the "new" mother not to post her child's pic on facebook was totally appropriate given the Lady was on facebook when she started shooting pics.
It was public in the sense that the child is not in private home, it was in a private class with OTHER parents so it is a group setting. Again, the teacher is the one who may say not to take pictures for whatever reason. Take the issue with the teacher and if he or she says not pictures, so be it then.

Just a little weird that so many folks are chastising a parent for speaking up when this happened. You wouldn't think a movie star or a rock star was bizarre if they did this. If we as parents don't look out for our children's best interests, who the heck will???
Again, subjective issue so to others it weird how you explain and how the mom reacted when another parent taking pictures and her child happens to be around. Don't have the child around other kids to avoid that then. Take care.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:36 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,330,301 times
Subjective, agreed. But a parent's request should be honored. Arguably many folks disagree. So disagreeing doesn't make not honoring a parents request right. The picture taker could have adjusted her position to get the other child out of frame...what's the big deal, really.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:52 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,985,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Subjective, agreed. But a parent's request should be honored. Arguably many folks disagree. So disagreeing doesn't make not honoring a parents request right. The picture taker could have adjusted her position to get the other child out of frame...what's the big deal, really.
I have a real dilemma coming up. Next year my son will be in high school. He is a lacrosse goaltender. Unlike football the games are not filmed by the school so I will need to film my son's games, make a highlight video and send it to college coaches. Most of the time parents make the video, put it on YouTube and send the link to college coaches. Here is an example:
Chris Selva LAX Highlights - YouTube. Other players are usually not identified but they need to be on the recording. These videos are useless to coaches if they cannot see the other players. They must show how a goalie interacts with his own defense, how he saves goals, and how he clears the ball. That is what coaches are looking for on these videos.

So if another parent asks me not to show her child on my recording and my son has the game of his life, why does my desire to have my son recruited automatically get overridden by someone else's desire to keep their child off of YouTube?

Old 11-06-2012, 07:09 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,495,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I have a real dilemma coming up. Next year my son will be in high school. He is a lacrosse goaltender. Unlike football the games are not filmed by the school so I will need to film my son's games, make a highlight video and send it to college coaches. Most of the time parents make the video, put it on YouTube and send the link to college coaches. Here is an example:
Chris Selva LAX Highlights - YouTube. Other players are usually not identified but they need to be on the recording. These videos are useless to coaches if they cannot see the other players. They must show how a goalie interacts with his own defense, how he saves goals, and how he clears the ball. That is what coaches are looking for on these videos.

So if another parent asks me not to show her child on my recording and my son has the game of his life, why does my desire to have my son recruited automatically get overridden by someone else's desire to keep their child off of YouTube?
If a parent asks you not to record her child during the game, I would politely ask HER to please remove her child from the game then. Any parent with any common sense would know that when their child is participating in any sport or activity, whether it be football, basketball, track, lacrosse, soccer, theater, dance, etc., that there are going to be many people watching, and many of those people are going to have cameras and videorecorders. I think it's selfish and unfair to ask that NO ONE record anything just because MY child might be in the recording. If your child is that special and needs special accomdations, provide them yourself. And if a parent is that afraid of what MIGHT happen if their child ends up in the background of someone else's video on YouTube or Facebook, then I would think they would not have their child participating in performance based activities. After all, the same pervert watching their child on Facebook MIGHT also be watching from the stands. You can't even tell who's who on the video you posted. A real pervert would have a better shot at just being there. It just doesn't make any sense to me, and I'm still amazed that there are people who would actually demand that no one record their child during a game or performance.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:15 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,481,097 times
This may be off topic...my daughter routinely asks parents if she can take pictures of their kids...she loves pictures of children playing. She recently entered some photos of kids playing in a creek....and won an award. No one has ever been offended or said no to her request.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:17 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,860,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
If a parent asks you not to record her child during the game, I would politely ask HER to please remove her child from the game then. Any parent with any common sense would know that when their child is participating in any sport or activity, whether it be football, basketball, track, lacrosse, soccer, theater, dance, etc., that there are going to be many people watching, and many of those people are going to have cameras and videorecorders. I think it's selfish and unfair to ask that NO ONE record anything just because MY child might be in the recording. If your child is that special and needs special accomdations, provide them yourself. And if a parent is that afraid of what MIGHT happen if their child ends up in the background of someone else's video on YouTube or Facebook, then I would think they would not have their child participating in performance based activities. After all, the same pervert watching their child on Facebook MIGHT also be watching from the stands. You can't even tell who's who on the video you posted. A real pervert would have a better shot at just being there. It just doesn't make any sense to me, and I'm still amazed that there are people who would actually demand that no one record their child during a game or performance.
I agree completely. I have also seen several people suggest that parents adjust the angle of the picture. That might work if it was a picture of them sitting. However, if they are moving in a sport, dance, a play, whatever it is it can be impossible to do that. If you don't want your child in other peoples videos and photos, keep them out of activities that are known for having pictures and videos taken. It is that simple.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:29 AM

16,175 posts, read 21,333,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This may be off topic...my daughter routinely asks parents if she can take pictures of their kids...she loves pictures of children playing. She recently entered some photos of kids playing in a creek....and won an award. No one has ever been offended or said no to her request.
On topic I think. My son is a budding photographer, takes pictures of all kinds of things, including children. Generally he doesn't ask until after the picture is snapped because he enjoys getting candid shots. He was out and about one day and came upon something he thought was a great shot of a very small boy trying to eat a very large hamburger, very adorable and funny pic. It was a really cute moment that made for a fun picture opportunity. The fact that he likes children means that someday he will be a great father, not that he's some sort of perv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting