Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2012, 08:07 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,945,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
In a perfect world...But the parents are asking to do that...to be able to take precautions. Thanks for the research, it makes a good point, schools do consider this a liability issue....there is a permission form.
In the case of athletics it is not the school that is requiring permission, it is the athletic association that governs athletic participation for 99% of the schools (public and private) in the state. Parents MUST consent if they want their child to participate in school athletics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 08:26 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,268,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
In the case of athletics it is not the school that is requiring permission, it is the athletic association that governs athletic participation for 99% of the schools (public and private) in the state. Parents MUST consent if they want their child to participate in school athletics.
I did read your post again...

Quote.... Mama_bear..."I just went back and looked at the Florida High School Athletic Association consent form and it does grant permission to film and photograph the child to the school and FHSAA (not to other parents). It allows parents/the student to revoke permission but by doing so they forfeit their eligibility to play for any FHSAA school." end quote

They wouldn't disallow kids to play if the parents won't sign the permission slips granting permission to film and photograph...If not liability..... What do you think the reason is??

Old 10-30-2012, 08:38 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,491,407 times
Quote:

Quote.... Mama_bear..."I just went back and looked at the Florida High School Athletic Association consent form and it does grant permission to film and photograph the child to the school and FHSAA (not to other parents). It allows parents/the student to revoke permission but by doing so they forfeit their eligibility to play for any FHSAA school." end quote

They wouldn't disallow kids to play if the parents won't sign the permission slips granting permission to film and photograph...If not liability..... What do you think the reason is??
I don't know about the FHSAA or other high school athletic policies, but forms that I've signed gave permission to use the child's image in brochures, newsletters, yearbooks, and advertisements about the event/program. I always believed it to be releasing parents from being able to demand compensation for the use of the child's image for advertisment purposes, not to protect the child from predators. I've signed those forms for daycare, summer camp, and school, and I believe that was what the agreement was. I would have to find a copy of one to be sure though.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I don't know about the FHSAA or other high school athletic policies, but forms that I've signed gave permission to use the child's image in brochures, newsletters, yearbooks, and advertisements about the event/program. I always believed it to be releasing parents from being able to demand compensation for the use of the child's image for advertisment purposes, not to protect the child from predators. I've signed those forms for daycare, summer camp, and school, and I believe that was what the agreement was. I would have to find a copy of one to be sure though.
Just to clarify I never mentioned predators. You are mixing my post w/ someone else.

I am more discussing the principle of assuming you can just post someone elses child's photos on social sites. And mamabear quoted FHSAA, just to clarify, so that is why I responded to her comment on my post.

Good point otherwise. That is the beauty of this forum, we can all have our own opinions and discuss them...jannd

Old 10-30-2012, 09:02 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,491,407 times
Quote:
Just to clarify I never mentioned predators. You are mixing my post w/ someone else.

I am more discussing the principle of assuming you can just post someone elses child's photos on social sites. And mamabear quoted FHSAA, just to clarify, so that is why I responded to her comment on my post.

Good point otherwise. That is the beauty of this forum, we can all have our own opinions and discuss them...jannd
Sorry...I thought that may have been part of the "liability" you mentioned, since that's been the direction of the conversation. If it's legal liability you were referring to, I'm far from an expert but I don't think there's any legal recourse for posting someone else's child on a social media site, as long as you're not violating any privacy laws. And I think at a public event, there are no privacy laws to be violated. If that's still not what you meant, my apologies.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:

When in a public place you have no expectation of privacy. Anyone can take your picture or your child's picture in a public place. Athletic associations do not want to have to defend themselves against lawsuits all the time so they require the release from parents. In reality a parent will not win a case where their child was photographed on a football field or basketball court.

So, yes it is a matter of perceived liability. But in reality anyone can take your child's picture in a public place. There might be an issue if someone was going to use the pictures to make money. But another parent is not likely to be doing that.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:

FHSAA does not address parents taking pictures. However, you are not generally entitled to privacy in public places (except in limited instances like the rest room).

Here is a link to the form.

FHSAA.org | EL03

I am sure other athletic associations have similar releases. I just posted this one because I had the link handy on my computer.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:18 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,508,812 times
I understand that there are rules, I understand that there are parents who would not like their child filmed or photographed. What I have yet to see though is a single actual case of a pedophile fixating on a child in the background of a picture or film posted on social media, hunting them down and abusing them...anyone?

Old 10-30-2012, 10:08 AM

2,457 posts, read 3,227,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
It's perfectly reasonable -- if they're a professional photog, they should have you sign a model release first; if not, the police should be notified.
Why?

Old 10-30-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I understand that there are rules, I understand that there are parents who would not like their child filmed or photographed. What I have yet to see though is a single actual case of a pedophile fixating on a child in the background of a picture or film posted on social media, hunting them down and abusing them...anyone?
Here are the results using the terms "Cases of social internet sites being used by child predators"
plenty of links cases of social internet sites being used by child preditors - Yahoo! Search Results
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting