Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 10:52 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,500,666 times

Advertisements

I would have a problem with a stranger filming my child specifically. I have had a situation where a stranger was videotaping my child in a store, where she decided to spontaneously start dancing to whatever song was playing over the sound system, in the middle of the store. Customers stopped to laugh and watch her, and I noticed a woman taping her with her phone. This made me uncomfortable, so I moved in front of her and blocked her shot. It made me uncomfortable because it was MY child she was videotaping, to show others or post somewhere for other people to laugh at and comment on. If her own child had been dancing next to mine, I wouldn't have cared as much, because she would have been posting it for HER child to get the comments and attention. When I saw the title of this thread, that's the kind of situation I thought of...a stranger randomly photographing or videotaping YOUR child, not a parent of a child in your child's class taping THEIR OWN child. To me, that's a totally different situation.

At a child's sporting event, class, school function, or any such setting, I do think it is unreasonable to ask that a parent not film your child. They have every right to film their own, and the best you can do is either have your child move away from their child, or remove your child from the class or event.

Even if this mom put the picture on facebook, I don't understand how it's going to harm your child. The focus is on her own kid. No one is going to know who the other kids in the picture are, nor are they probably going to care. The woman is most likely not going to post the names and addresses of the other kids in the picture. And the likelihood that her husband is some sick pervert getting off on pictures of little girls in dance class is extremely farfetched, imho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 12:32 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,798,047 times
Holy cow over reaction. Your daughter is in a DANCE CLASS, do you not expect people will film their children? What on earth does the mother's appearance have to do with anything? You sound judgmental.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:17 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,700,716 times
If you feel uncomfortable with your daughter being filmed you are well within your rights to politely ask the individual in question not to film her. If she refuses I would simply go right to the teacher or administrators of the dance class and ask them to deal with the situation.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:29 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,511,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You have no right to an expectation of privacy in a public place. You are CHOOSING to participate in a dance class with other children. They have a right to film their children participating in that class and to do what they like with that footage, even if your child is in that footage too.

Don't want your child filmed? Don't put them in a PERFORMANCE based class.
^^^This. People can take photos of your child as long as they are in a public place.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:51 AM

4,264 posts, read 6,219,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I would have a problem with a stranger filming my child specifically. I have had a situation where a stranger was videotaping my child in a store, where she decided to spontaneously start dancing to whatever song was playing over the sound system, in the middle of the store. Customers stopped to laugh and watch her, and I noticed a woman taping her with her phone. This made me uncomfortable, so I moved in front of her and blocked her shot. It made me uncomfortable because it was MY child she was videotaping, to show others or post somewhere for other people to laugh at and comment on. If her own child had been dancing next to mine, I wouldn't have cared as much, because she would have been posting it for HER child to get the comments and attention. When I saw the title of this thread, that's the kind of situation I thought of...a stranger randomly photographing or videotaping YOUR child, not a parent of a child in your child's class taping THEIR OWN child. To me, that's a totally different situation.

At a child's sporting event, class, school function, or any such setting, I do think it is unreasonable to ask that a parent not film your child. They have every right to film their own, and the best you can do is either have your child move away from their child, or remove your child from the class or event.

Even if this mom put the picture on facebook, I don't understand how it's going to harm your child. The focus is on her own kid. No one is going to know who the other kids in the picture are, nor are they probably going to care. The woman is most likely not going to post the names and addresses of the other kids in the picture. And the likelihood that her husband is some sick pervert getting off on pictures of little girls in dance class is extremely farfetched, imho.
Yes to all of this. If a starnger was videotaping my child in a store like the situation described above, I would block the camera's view because it would make me very uncomfortable but as far as dance class or soccer practice or whatever else where a parent is clearly filming thier own child and my child happened to be in the frame next to them, then it would not bother me in the least.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:54 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,865,971 times
I understand your concern, but it pays to be extra polite and gentle when asking a stranger to stop filming thier own kid because of some extra child in the shot. LOL

Anyway, I do think some of the concern about social media is widely overblown in instances such as this one. I'm more concerned about things that could happen to my child when they are on the Internet alone than I am what could happen if they are in the background of someone else's Facebook video, especially if they're not even tagged in it.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:00 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,910,189 times
Don't say "please" or try to be polite. If you sincerely feel you are protecting your child from any potential abuse or harm you have to be firm...eg.. "If you want to film your kid you should go into the room and do close ups of your kid...I don't want my child in the shot" Don't be a suck...be a jerk if you have concerns....You job is to protect your child not to be a "nice" person.

As far as assuming that every adult male might be a pedophile..That is a sad commentary on society at large. If I see a wonderful child and mother - I make sure that I am perceived by the mother as a solid citizen..mothers know how is not to be trusted and who is..it's about good judgement- You can't go through life assuming the devil is hiding every bush.

As a male I have to use good judgement when partaking in normal human interaction...it's a shame that it has come to this- don't let the bad people win..protect your child but do not be paranoid...You will instill fear in the child and the kid will not trust anyone in the future...There are good and normal people out there.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:36 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,264,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
If you feel uncomfortable with your daughter being filmed you are well within your rights to politely ask the individual in question not to film her. If she refuses I would simply go right to the teacher or administrators of the dance class and ask them to deal with the situation.
This is unfair and inappropriate. It is not the instructor's or coach's job or responsibility to deal with whatever is going on out in the hall or in the 'audience'. You are paying for the lessons or activity and, thus, the instructor's expertise in teaching it -- not conflict resolution between parents watching.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:41 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,882,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Don't say "please" or try to be polite. If you sincerely feel you are protecting your child from any potential abuse or harm you have to be firm...eg.. "If you want to film your kid you should go into the room and do close ups of your kid...I don't want my child in the shot" Don't be a suck...be a jerk if you have concerns....You job is to protect your child not to be a "nice" person.
No, you DON'T expect people to cater to your child. You get your child out of the way. Or just deal with it.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:37 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,560,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
This is unfair and inappropriate. It is not the instructor's or coach's job or responsibility to deal with whatever is going on out in the hall or in the 'audience'. You are paying for the lessons or activity and, thus, the instructor's expertise in teaching it -- not conflict resolution between parents watching.

I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting