Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 12:46 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I think it was a matter of feeling your oats.

Kids in a small town. Saying hell is considered daring. (Apparently.) She pushed the envelope. Maybe a little civil disobedience thrown in.

Just as well I'm not the school principal because I would have said, "Here's your diploma, Thoreau. I hope you have this spark in you the rest of your life. Go get 'em."
Good comment.

When I was hiring kids coming out of University, I was always looking for the ones who had a bit of a 'spark' about them. You obviously want kids that can do the job and do what is expected of them. But you definitely don't want blind obedience. You want kids who think about what they are being asked to do and who will push back if they think it sounds stupid. The sorts of things that would be anathema for many school principals

Old 08-23-2012, 12:49 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The bottom line is that she deviated from the speech she submitted for approval.
She could have just said "sorry for the deviation", but then she would not be on the Today Show and no one would know about her....
If the school hadn't insisted on a written apology she wouldn't have made the show either.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:01 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I don't consider "how the hell should I know" swearing.

"You are a ******* ******* who needs to get your *** out of your *** ***** head before I ****** do it for you!!" is swearing.

Why yes. As a matter of fact I do know sailors.
Ah Dew - Dew, Dew, Dew.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:32 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
People are so silly getting all in a tizzy about harmless words. If hell, damn, and butt give people the vapors, they need to get some hobbies. I am far more offended by insulting intent than verbage.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:35 PM

83 posts, read 105,781 times
Thats one of the top "Dumbest things I've ever heard of"....

Old 08-23-2012, 02:37 PM

83 posts, read 105,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
People are so silly getting all in a tizzy about harmless words. If hell, damn, and butt give people the vapors, they need to get some hobbies. I am far more offended by insulting intent than verbage.
I agree, i've never understood what the big deal was with those words...hell, damn, ass---its almost as if people have to go break out the rosary beads after they've heard these words....CRAZY!

Old 08-23-2012, 04:29 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Ah Dew - Dew, Dew, Dew.

Har, you said doo-doo. Maybe they will take the star.

Seriously, though, is anybody really worked up about this? I know it's fun to dig into a position and defend it, but I don't really see it as a hill to die on. It's a fuss.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:19 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
She has admitted she did it on purpose:

So we need to lay to rest the concept that it was in any way unintentional.
Okay, fair enough, but we also need to recognize that it doesn't mean she was trying to offend anyone, or trying to be funny, or trying to be cute. Maybe she just thought it sounded better than "heck". I know I do.

Quote:
But the parents were expecting "G" rated content and got "PG13" instead. The parents were not given the choice of leaving younger children at home. Perhaps you do not have children. It is quite fun to have your five year old tell you, "But Kaitlin is smart. She used it in her speech in front of all those people. Why can't I say it?"
I have a two year old who repeats everything he hears. I still don't see what all the fuss is about in regards to this.

Quote:
What you are missing is that the issue is not so much the word as the fact that she obviously knew it would not be well received. Why else would she have not just put it in the script she submitted to the principal?
If the majority viewpoint on here is any indication, she might have figured the principal would overreact to the word and sane people wouldn't give it a second thought.

Quote:
If they are not there to make a point, then why use them? As filler to make the speech longer? That does not make sense. Anything that does not contribute to the theme of your speech is better left out.
Subjective all the way. This wasn't a speech meant to persuade or educate. It was a celebratory occasion, so there's room for "filler". It was probably for attitude. Not directed at anyone, just attitude in general.

Quote:
She knew the word was unacceptable to the very people who honored her by naming her valedictorian. That is the context. That is disrespectful.
So now you're saying she didn't earn valedictorian? That she should be grateful for their kindness, not proud of herself? Ideally, being named valedictorian is not something the principal decides you're qualified for; it's something he/she discovers you're qualified for. Good grief.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:08 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Okay, fair enough, but we also need to recognize that it doesn't mean she was trying to offend anyone, or trying to be funny, or trying to be cute. Maybe she just thought it sounded better than "heck". I know I do.

I have a two year old who repeats everything he hears. I still don't see what all the fuss is about in regards to this.

If the majority viewpoint on here is any indication, she might have figured the principal would overreact to the word and sane people wouldn't give it a second thought.

Subjective all the way. This wasn't a speech meant to persuade or educate. It was a celebratory occasion, so there's room for "filler". It was probably for attitude. Not directed at anyone, just attitude in general.

So now you're saying she didn't earn valedictorian? That she should be grateful for their kindness, not proud of herself? Ideally, being named valedictorian is not something the principal decides you're qualified for; it's something he/she discovers you're qualified for. Good grief.
I think we are just going to have to say that you and I are seeing different things in the whole scenario. You are fixated on the word "hell". I believe that the word itself is not the issue. The issue is the behavior.

The behavior was childish. It was something she decided to do after her classmates spurred her on. It contributed nothing to her speech. She did it because she could.

What you allow your two year old to hear and repeat is up to you. You do not get to say things to your neighbor's child that your neighbor does not want to hear her two year old repeat. Want to use the f-bomb and laugh when your two year old says it repeatedly, fine. Say it in front of my grand daughter, and you will get called on it.

By the way, not every school names a valedictorian. So yes, it is an honor that the school chooses to bestow. It could choose not to, and I would not be a bit surprised if it chooses not to do so next year.

The scary thing is that if she is eighteen, she can vote.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:17 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times
Quote:
I think we are just going to have to say that you and I are seeing different things in the whole scenario. You are fixated on the word "hell". I believe that the word itself is not the issue. The issue is the behavior.

The behavior was childish. It was something she decided to do after her classmates spurred her on. It contributed nothing to her speech. She did it because she could.

What you allow your two year old to hear and repeat is up to you. You do not get to say things to your neighbor's child that your neighbor does not want to hear her two year old repeat. Want to use the f-bomb and laugh when your two year old says it repeatedly, fine. Say it in front of my grand daughter, and you will get called on it.

By the way, not every school names a valedictorian. So yes, it is an honor that the school chooses to bestow. It could choose not to, and I would not be a bit surprised if it chooses not to do so next year.
Just wondering what you think about this school's mascot being a "Red Devil"? Does the Principal or Superintendent care about the people they have offended with that name? Should they issue a formal letter of apology to those who they have offended? Do they really think that they hold the "moral high ground" and are justified in their current actions of withholding the valedictorian's diploma for using a word that very few people find offensive?

Quote:
The scary thing is that if she is eighteen, she can vote.
Why is that scary? Because she can think for herself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting