Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 04:16 PM

37,359 posts, read 41,608,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
No idea about the rigor of her curriculum, but the school she is going to is Southwestern Oklahoma State University. The school only requires a 2.7 high school GPA from any HS in Oklahoma, a minimum act of 20 or SAT of 940 and the Oklahoma HS requirements are only 15 units (there is a pdf on the college website that tells what that includes). Her school does have a relatively high percentage of kids taking APs, but who knows how many pass the exams with a 3 or better?

Her school ranks as avg among Oklahoma High Schools according to US News. It gets a Bronze national rating.
Does OK give premium points for AP classes? If she took them and made A's, would her GPA be over 4.0?

Old 08-22-2012, 05:04 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,037,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Does OK give premium points for AP classes? If she took them and made A's, would her GPA be over 4.0?
Don't know, but her school probably doesn't as she was valedictorian with a 4.0 and 17% of the kids in her school take AP classes. No idea what grades they get in them. The school has no website up - it's under construction.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:14 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,983,248 times
Quote:
I know plenty of eighteen year olds (and many who are younger than that) who are more mature than this girl. They hold jobs, some are even rearing children.

If she is valedictorian material, I would hold her to a higher standard anyway.

If I were the school superintendent, I would just eliminate having a valedictorian at all. No student speeches next year. Recognize those who have academic achievements when their names are called, allow them to cross the stage and get their diplomas, all done. The kids who are in the running for valedictorian this year can thank Kaitlin for screwing it up for them, because, like, she discussed it with her classmates and they told her to, like, go ahead and do it.

By the way, the school has less than 400 students in grades nine through twelve. I wonder how rigorous her curriculum was. Nowhere have I seen a mention of any AP courses, just the 4.0 GPA.
So what? She has graduated, she is starting at University, she has got a full scholarship. The school's action is an futile gesture.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:16 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,415,958 times
Quote:
A. It was wrong if she was told not to use it and did so anyway.
You called it "profanity", and that's entirely incorrect. And where do you find that she was explicitly told not to use the word?

Quote:
B. If she was not trying to be amusing, why say it at all? What point was she trying to make?
Most prepositional phrases are not used to make the point of a sentence or serve any important purpose at all, especially when they're such commonly used slang as this is. That's like asking a man who said "I shot him in the parking lot",
"What do you mean.... 'in the parking lot'?"

Quote:
To tell the administration she was going to say "heck" in order to get approval to give the speech and then say "hell" instead was dishonest, and I do not believe it was done in the "heat of the moment" at all.
Ah, well fortunately, what you "believe" is not enough to justify withholding a high school diploma from a valedictorian student.

Quote:
This girl's attempt a humor puts her right at the five year old level.
How do you figure it was an attempt at humor? This sounds more like typical small talk than a joke. That you don't like the word "hell" does not change the context of the sentence she used it in.

Quote:
She announced to the world that she has no respect for her own father, no respect for her teachers, and no respect for the parents in her audience. She also has no respect for her fellow students, although they probably do not realize it. Congratulations to her. The most memorable thing about her speech was that she used the word "hell".
Not her fault a bunch of petty "adults" only heard/committed to memory that one "bad word" in her speech. And she didn't announce disrespect of any kind; that's a total non sequitur.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:28 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,037,997 times
I can't find *her* speech, but this is the speech from Eclipse that inspired it.

Learning From Yesterday. Living for Today.: Graduation Speech from Eclipse

Old 08-22-2012, 06:33 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,638,466 times
Quote:
I have been unable to find a video of her entire speech. I was hoping someone would have it up on YouTube, but apparently not. it would be nice to hear the whole thing.

If you defy authority you need to be ready to accept the consequences.
The problem is that her, by your definition, defying the authorities has zero effect on her earning her diploma
and it should have never even been part of the situation. They cannot withhold her diploma for this.

You can defy your boss and get fired buy they cannot withhold your paycheck for what you've already worked.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:47 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,983,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
The problem is that her, by your definition, defying the authorities has zero effect on her earning her diploma
and it should have never even been part of the situation. They cannot withhold her diploma for this.

You can defy your boss and get fired buy they cannot withhold your paycheck for what you've already worked.
Which is the point that I have tried to make.

The stance of the school is an exercise in futility which only brings them into disrepute and ridicule. It is extremely bad judgement.

Last edited by Jaggy001; 08-22-2012 at 07:04 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 08:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,914,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
How do you know she lied? Maybe she got caught up in the moment.

As for your second statement: Godwin's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My point still stands -- why did she leave something out for the review when she intended to use it in her speech?

If she is allowed to use whatever words she likes in her speech, even words she knew were not considered acceptable for whatever reason, then will they allow all other words to be used in next year's speech?

She was deliberately trying to break the rules I'm sure. If she was really smart enough to be at the top of her class, I'm sure she remembers she put "heck" in the speech she submitted, and figured she wasn't really obligated to stick with that. She was pushing the limits to see what she could get by with, impressing her friends, trying to be slick.

It's mild profanity as far as I'm concerned, but it also depends on how she said it, how emphatic she made it. The "f" word can actually be used in a rather mild way that doesn't sound all that offensive but I'm pretty sure this girl was fully aware of the rules going in and wanted to see what would happen if she broke them, so now she sees what happened.

Wait till she hits the workplace where you cannot say or do anything that might offend anyone, even those who make it a point to listen in on the conversations of others and then decide to become offended.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:30 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,415,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
She was deliberately trying to break the rules I'm sure.
No. No, you're not.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:38 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,914,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
But either way... she submitted a speech that got approved, then she deviated from that speech.

Personally I think that she should have her diploma.
But in this day of zero tolerance in schools, I see why they felt they had to do something. If she gets away with an altered speech, it could be way worse next year.
I'm pretty sure she will get her diploma, they can send it to her in the mail.

She was testing the school, probably intending to have a good laugh with her friends about sneaking a word in that she knew wasn't allowed which is why she submitted "heck" for the review but changed her speech when she figured they couldn't do a thing about it. Kind of like tugging on Superman's cape thinking she could pull a fast one but now she's getting her 15 minutes of fame and loves every minute of it.

Good preparation for the kids for when they get in the workplace and find out how careful they must be with words at all times. Guys referring to women they work with out loud as "babes" can get the axe coming down on their job. Even words like "frickin" can get one in trouble. Like it or not, that's how it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting