Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2010, 10:12 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times

Advertisements

It can be difficult to cook for one person, so I can understand the attraction of microwave meals and that chicken in a bag stuff. However, it is much more expensive and less healthy than cooking something like this, breaking it into portions and freezing for several meals.

This delicious recipe combines mushrooms, broccoli, long grain rice mix, and yogurt for an easy one dish meal recipe.

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 onion, chopped
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 oz. pkg. sliced fresh mushrooms
3/4 cups water
3 oz. pkg. chicken long grain wild rice mix
5 oz. pkg. frozen chopped broccoli (or use spinach or another veggie you like) - 1/2 10 oz pkg
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (other cheeses could be substituted - I like mozarella)
Preparation:

In heavy nonstick skillet, heat olive oil and butter, and saute onion until translucent. Add chicken and cook over medium heat until browned on one side, about 4 minutes. Turn chicken and add mushrooms, and cook until chicken is browned on second side. Remove chicken from pan. Add water, rice, and seasoning packet to skillet with mushrooms. Place chicken around edge of skillet. Add broccoli to center.
Cook over medium heat until mixture boils. Then reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 10 minutes. Stir to mix broccoli with rice mixture. Add yogurt and heat another 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese, cover, let stand 2 minutes to melt cheese, and serve. 2 to 3 servings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 10:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Just a guess, but I'm betting good money she's not going to like the mushrooms and broccoli.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:17 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,970,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Just a guess, but I'm betting good money she's not going to like the mushrooms and broccoli.
Hey...I like mushrooms and broccoli thank you very much.
I also like peas, asparagus and brown sugar carrots or any veggies in ranch dip....Ohhh I should add that to my list.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Sugar, sugar, enamel-stripping acids, lactose, yogurt. If the bagels aren't frozen they'll be stale in a few days. If they are frozen, then processed crap, more lactose, processed sodium-loaded crap, more processed sodium-loaded crap, oranges, processed flavored sugar-loaded gas-inducing crap, sodium-and MSG-over-fake-noodles, berries, berries, day-glo-liquid sodium, and processed sodium-loaded frozen crap. And processed crap in a box.

You're eating crap, except for the yogurt, oranges and the berries.

If that's your idea of a fair mixture of healthy and not, I worry for the child you're feeding lunch to.

Also I agree with paganmama. Therefore, we are correct, and you are wrong.

Edited a second time to include yogurt in the "except for" category.

They have their stuff that is to be fed to them.
I have my stuff which is mine.
These kids eat super healthy, me...not so much, wasn't how I was raised and right now I rather have the foods I like than not have them. I am eating a lot healthier and barely have time to eat anyways so fatty food are what's keeping me alive LOL.
Plus I didn't buy a lot because I can eat dinner with them.

But I will be adding veggies I can dip in ranch to my list.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:22 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Well, most people I know love them.

What planet do you live on? . PM is a vegetarian...well felxatarian really, and she can't stand steamed veggies.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:35 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
What planet do you live on? . PM is a vegetarian...well felxatarian really, and she can't stand steamed veggies.
I live on the planet of southern California, the land of fruits and nuts of course.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:04 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
I visit that planet from time to time. It is a strange place. I cannot stay there because I do not have the require BMW, blonde hair dye, and yellow lab, brand name clothing and ab master. However they do allow me to visit reguarly without too much problem.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:24 PM

ok lets address another nanny issue.

Safety locks on doors.
http://di1.shopping.com/images1/pi/c...00x100-0-0.jpg

They have one of those monstrous things, that the wife, when I am not home will not lock, the husband however locks it ALL THE TIME.

I have key to the house and the code to the garage. So if the door in the garage is locked with that stupid thing then I have to try the front door, which it is usually locked there too leaving me NO WAY in.

This has resulted in me being locked out on numerous occasions and today when I got home, its 1 in the afternoon, it was locked. The wife came and unlocked it and was like you keep locking ****** out and he was like its to keep ****** in and so he doesn't get out.

But its not like its a key lock I can just get through. Unless someone from the inside flips the latch I can't get in and has resulted in me being locked out many nights.

How do I address this with them?

Old 12-11-2010, 02:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Does the child have issues with escaping from the house? If so, I can understand why they use an inside lock.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I live on the planet of southern California, the land of fruits and nuts of course.
And sprouts. You forgot the sprouts.

Wait. And donuts. A donut shop on every corner. Next to the taco stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting