Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 09:25 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,556,703 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have a 6 month old and my wife is a stay at home mom. I am interested in finding someone to come by and help her during the day every now and then. I am not sure how many days per week or hours per day or anything. Potentially 4-6 hours per day 3-4 times per week.

What we need out of this person is:
-Help watch baby while mom gets some alone time (shopping/napping/etc) for a couple hours here and there
-Help with some things around the house. Cooking/light cleaning/folding laundry etc...Nothing too intense.

What do I need? Do I need a Nanny? Do I need a babysitter? Or what should I be looking for. I know this may be hard to find on a part time basis but I want to just explore my options. I want to make sure we do this right and find someone good and who will treat my wife and baby well.

Please don't take this thread in a direction it shouldn't. I am simply trying to help my wife out and give her some relief from dealing with our baby. I leave at 6am for work and sometime don't get back until 6pm or later. I just want to make my wife's life a bit easier and we can afford it so I do not mind doing this for her one bit.

I just really don't need to hear any negative comments about how my wife should be able to handle a baby etc... She is perfectly capable of doing this herself and has been for over 6 months. I'm just trying to spoil her a bit. She deserves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 09:34 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,236,176 times
For what you are looking for, that would be a nanny and not a babysitter. You would probably do best with a childcare student who is available up to 24+ hours (most "babysitters" are not) but who does not require board/full-time hours that most nannies do. When I was in my college teaching program, plenty of girls did part-time nannying to pay the bills and get the experience.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:01 AM

655 posts, read 1,130,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
My wife and I have a 6 month old and my wife is a stay at home mom. I am interested in finding someone to come by and help her during the day every now and then. I am not sure how many days per week or hours per day or anything. Potentially 4-6 hours per day 3-4 times per week.

-Help watch baby while mom gets some alone time (shopping/napping/etc) for a couple hours here and there
-Help with some things around the house. Cooking/light cleaning/folding laundry etc...Nothing too intense.

What do I need? Do I need a Nanny? Do I need a babysitter? Or what should I be looking for. I know this may be hard to find on a part time basis but I want to just explore my options. I want to make sure we do this right and find someone good and who will treat my wife and baby well.

Please don't take this thread in a direction it shouldn't. I am simply trying to help my wife out and give her some relief from dealing with our baby. I leave at 6am for work and sometime don't get back until 6pm or later. I just want to make my wife's life a bit easier and we can afford it so I do not mind doing this for her one bit.

I just really don't need to hear any negative comments about how my wife should be able to handle a baby etc... She is perfectly capable of doing this herself and has been for over 6 months. I'm just trying to spoil her a bit. She deserves it.

That is very sweet of you to think of her this way. It can get a little overwhelming taking care of a new baby and the house by yourself.....you need a few hours to just be around some adults or some quiet time for yourself. Makes you feel human again!

To answer your question...yes a nanny is probably the best for this situation. There are plenty on Care.com and SitterCity.com that are looking for part time work to make money while going to school or to fill in the space around another job. I would also check local colleges and post on their job boards. The only downside with the colleges is that there is no background checks so you have to be diligent in your research and interviewing.

Congrats on the new baby and thanks for taking Moms needs into consideration!

Old 12-12-2013, 10:04 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,416,945 times
You need a nanny.
It would be better for everyone if it's always the same person.
care.com

Old 12-12-2013, 10:13 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,202,112 times
Quote:

Puh. If you have the means to get this help, get it. You are sweet.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:13 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,117,463 times
Most nannies won't do cleaning in my region. The OP is more describing a housekeeper who is willing and capable to watch children as needed. I recommend advertising it as a "mother's helper" position.

You shouldn't have trouble finding someone to work part time. There are SAHMs who will do this when their children are in school to make some extra money.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:14 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,202,112 times
I heard the term "mother's helper". I wonder if looking for that term would help?

Old 12-12-2013, 10:29 AM

606 posts, read 944,885 times
Quote:
What you want is a college student. Doesn't matter what they're studying so long as they've had a lot of babysitting experience. I say college student because you don't need someone who can work the exact same hours indefinitely, and what you're looking for is not desirable for someone who needs full time employment. But you can easily find a college student who'll jump at the chance to work that number of hours around their class schedule.

We used college students (and, in one case, a college graduate who was having a hard time finding full-time work) a few hours a week for the sort of thing you're talking about -- respite care when my daughter was a baby and I was having some medical problems, and then entertainment when I was working from home -- up until my daughter was done with kindergarten. There are a few ways you can find such a person. We hired one girl that was boarding with a family in our neighborhood and another that was recommended by the director of my daughter's preschool. Two others we put ads on Craigslist** and hired students who had good recommendations and work histories (one worked for the university's daycare center, etc.). Excellent experiences all the way around. One of our old sitters who moved away for grad school uses sittercity.com as a place to find clients.

I think it's worth at least considering handling the childcare and the light housekeeping separately. Some excellent babysitters are willing to do some cleaning; for others that would be a drawback. You could probably hire a housekeeping service to come twice a month for less than you'd pay a sitter for the same effort, though that depends somewhat on the size of your house and the specifics of what you'd want them to do.

** If you want to go the Craigslist route, put the ad up yourself rather than responding to people who are putting up ads for childcare. You'll get a lot of responses and it's simple for you to pick the one or two who seem most promising and meet them in person to see how you feel about them and how they interact with your child.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:32 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,117,463 times
In my region, housekeepers make more money than nannies. It's sort of sad. Housekeepers make between $15 to $30 per hour. Nannies average about $10 per hour, some starting at $8 and some making more. A housekeeper who is great with children can often be found for $15 to $20 per hour. But the OP is in LA so it could be more expensive because it's a high cost of living area, or it could be cheaper because there is an immigrant population. My area doesn't have many uneducated immigrants---mostly educated immigrants.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:18 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,342,615 times
I would put it under babysitter or mother's helper with light housekeeping and then describe what you want. If you live near any colleges, I would start there personally. This would be an ideal job for a college student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting